What's new

Donkey Kong 64 emulation problem

White_Pointer

Well, since 1.5 has been released I've been playing DK64 and haven't had a problem with it at all, until now. Everything ran smoothly, the sound was good, and had no trouble passing areas. Until now. I've verified the rom and it is a good rom file.

Currently I'm in the second area, Angry Aztec, battling the boss monster of that area, the Red Dragon Guy. You fight him on a central platform, that is surrounded by a large drop with lava at the bottom.

Well, I have no problems killing the guy, I throw three TNT barrels at him and he falls into the lava and dies. When he dies however, he's supposed to drop a key. And guess what? When he dies, he doesn't drop any key. Instead, when the camera zooms back out, the "boss music" stops, and I'm left standing on the central platform with no key. I can run around the platform, I can still pick up the reappearing TNT barrel and throw it, but that's it. Theres no item to collect and I can't even jump off the platform into the lava and kill myself, there's some kind of invisible wall preventing me doing so.

So, in other words, I'm stuck here and the area is unpassable, even though the game FAQ says that no areas in the game should be unpassable. Guess what? I probably just found one.

Has someone else run into this same problem? Is there any way I CAN pass this area?

White_Pointer

Allnatural

It's likely a timing issue. Adjusting the Counter Factor prior to fighting the boss may solve the problem. It'll require some experimentation though.

OP
White_Pointer

White_Pointer

I tried that already (I had to adjust the counter factor to pass one of those barrel blast bonus stages) but it didn't work this time.

It's not even a Timer thing anyway, it's not like I'm not jumping high enough to reach the key or anything, the key simply isn't appearing at all.

Very strange.

White_Pointer

yawis3632

wow, thanks alot, i'm glad someone posted this problem because i have the same problem too, however i cannot even do the barrel blast because i guess the timing is off. And with the boss stage, the same event happens, after i beat the boss its just stuck and the music stops and no key appears. I've tried adjusting the count factors, changing plugins, everything, its weird, i even tried using 1964 but i couldn't get DK64 to start, so if anyone knows how to fix it, it would be alot of help, thanks!!!!!!!!!!:pj64:

OP
White_Pointer

White_Pointer

yawis3632 said:
wow, thanks alot, i'm glad someone posted this problem because i have the same problem too, however i cannot even do the barrel blast because i guess the timing is off. And with the boss stage, the same event happens, after i beat the boss its just stuck and the music stops and no key appears. I've tried adjusting the count factors, changing plugins, everything, its weird, i even tried using 1964 but i couldn't get DK64 to start, so if anyone knows how to fix it, it would be alot of help, thanks!!!!!!!!!!:pj64:

Passing that barrel blast stage is easy, just change the Counter Factor to 5 and you shouldn't have a problem (remember to reload the rom after changing it)

What you'll need to do though, it blast yourself into the clouds and into the first barrel with the default counter factor. (If you change the counter factor before blasting yourself up, you'll fly straight over the first barrel) Once you are in the first barrel, save the state, change the counter factor to 5, then reload the rom and load your saved state. You won't have a problem passing the barrel stage then.

Once you have completed it and you are back down on earth, so to speak, save the state again, change the counter factor back to 4, then reload the rom and load the saved state and continue normally to the camel cage to grab the golden banana.

However, THIS problem with the boss monster in the second area is totally different. Essentially the area is unpassable.

White_Pointer

Emu_Lover

I got about 2/3rds of the way through DK64 and then I lost interest in that game. I haven't played that or any other games for N64 since. I've been hooked on PC First Person Shooters lately. I spend most of my time editing levels for Doom and Doom2. Sorry if this message is off topic.