What's new

smoking rules

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chibi Nick

Emutalk Member
Yet you people don't really realize how much more you would be taxed to compensate for smokers if they stopped.

Just think about how much money the government makes on cigarettes when over half the price is already taxes... the government wants smokers that's why they don't really do anything to prevent it...

And you people who have never smoked have NO RIGHT... absolutely no right to call someone weak because they can't quit... you don't know how hard it is to break a 30 year old addiction do you? You can call it wrong if you want to, but I don't really think anyone should be called weak because of an addiction... some people have an addictive personality, some don't... it's not their fault...

I'm in no way trying to say it's alright to smoke... but no one needs to call smokers weak idiots, or any other bad names...

and as I said before, the older people who smoke, didn't know it was bad at the time they started... it was just recently (last 10-15 years?) percieved as harmful... and they were already addicted at that time...

You start smoking for 30 years then try to quit... if you can do it without problems then you have the right to call others who can't, weak... but if you don't... then don't say it..

Eagle

aka Alshain
AlphaWolf said:
If you'll take a look over nya...

http://archives.thedaily.washington.edu/1996/010296/smoke010295.html

Aint it cool? :devil:

You know though, that just reminded me of a previous argument I was having with Braveheart (who is a smoker) on IRC about gun control. I had to leave for school so I couldn't finnish it, but I had the opportunity later to look over the logs and see where it headed, and I noticed that he said:

Now isn't it more important that we make the same argument about another subject? :happy:

heh, my stats are outdated it seems. Its been awhile since I last studied them (about 4 years) but it looks like its only gotten worse.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Chibi Nick said:
Yet you people don't really realize how much more you would be taxed to compensate for smokers if they stopped.

Just think about how much money the government makes on cigarettes when over half the price is already taxes... the government wants smokers that's why they don't really do anything to prevent it...

And you people who have never smoked have NO RIGHT... absolutely no right to call someone weak because they can't quit... you don't know how hard it is to break a 30 year old addiction do you? You can call it wrong if you want to, but I don't really think anyone should be called weak because of an addiction... some people have an addictive personality, some don't... it's not their fault...

I'm in no way trying to say it's alright to smoke... but no one needs to call smokers weak idiots, or any other bad names...

and as I said before, the older people who smoke, didn't know it was bad at the time they started... it was just recently (last 10-15 years?) percieved as harmful... and they were already addicted at that time...

You start smoking for 30 years then try to quit... if you can do it without problems then you have the right to call others who can't, weak... but if you don't... then don't say it..

I've never smoked.
I'm not calling them weak becuase they cant quit, On the contratry, its quite difficult to break an addiction of any kind. I'm calling them weak becuase they dont try. There is plenty of help for quitting. Its possible to quit, and there is everything from patches and gum for the less addicted, to support groups for the more addicted. They are extremely effective, you just have to find out how addicted you actually are. The gum and patches are quite possible the best solutuion for any level really. You dont have to quit nicotine. You can use the gum or a patch for the rest of your life and still get as much nicotine as you would with ciggarettes and yet probably (this is a personal estimate and has no basis in fact) 1000 times less the amount of damage to your body. The true fact is, its the Tar that kills you, not the nicotine, but its the nicotine your addicted to so obviously when presented with the question Patch/Gum or Cigar/Cigarette, which would be more healthy? Well since the patch and gums dont have tar you should be able to see my point. Breaking an addiction is hard, but you dont even have to break the addiciton to quit smoking. And dont tell me thats too expensive. Taxes are rising on tobacco and its becomming more expensive than nicotine gum could ever be (not that Ive bought any but anyway).

As for the whole "it would damage the economy" kick. No it wouldnt not if you did it right. Bill Clinton, though some people think he did nothing right, knew exactly how to kill the problem. You raise taxes (on tobacco) slowly so it gets to the point people have to find a way to quit or end up paying a lot for tobacco products. Since this occurs gradually, tobacco industry will slowy phase out without damaging the economy and new things will come in and thus taxes will not raise, the economy stays the same and once its phased almost out, you are safe to outlaw it as an illegal drug or a perscription only drug for those needing gum and patches. Its that simple, but everyone wants to find a quick fix for ending itthat wouldnt damage the economy, and there isnt one

So as I've shown, there is no reason for you to keep smoking. There are many alternatives to it. And it is possible to eliminate it without hurting ourselves. The only thing I cant disagree with is Raging Fuels comment that it filters out the idiots.

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Originally posted by Chibi Nick

This is a double edged sword. The IRS has grown reliant on smokers for a good deal of its income. However, a good portion of this money wouldn't need to be spent if the government didn't pump too damn much money into anti-smoking campaigns, which it very well does.

And you people who have never smoked have NO RIGHT... absolutely no right to call someone weak because they can't quit... you don't know how hard it is to break a 30 year old addiction do you?

I won't go into details (irrelavent), but I believe I have an idea.

You can call it wrong if you want to, but I don't really think anyone should be called weak because of an addiction... some people have an addictive personality, some don't... it's not their fault...

30 years? wait a minute, that means around the 60s right? Isn't that about the time that the surgeon general made the first official warning about cigarette smoke being hazardous to your health? Actualy wait no 30 years ago would be the 70s, about 10 years after the surgeon generals first warning. You know, 40 years is a pretty long time to gradualy quit smoking.

The general attitude with these people is simply this: "I don't give a f**k", which is fine, I say smoke all you want, just pay back the costs you will put on medicare when your lungs quit working.

Every time I see one of my uncles/cousins smoke, I always tell them to take that burning turd out of their mouth :p

You know, that also reminds me of this one guy I knew who was always dipping. He ended up getting cancer in his gums, had to have a huge chunk of his lower front left jaw removed, then guess what he did after the surgery? He started dipping on the right side instead. That just shows you how dumb these people are.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gamer123

Xbox Addict

We not saying he's weak for becoming addicted to cigarettes. We're saying he's stupid to start smoking in the first place. Ever hear that quote about cigarettes? "Best tip: dont start"

Yeah, that tax is called a regulatory tax. And you know what, they end up spending a lot of that money on paying for people who smoke with medicaid and medicare, and lawsuits. So the money they spend on medicaid/medicare on smokers, could be going to a poor family who doesnt smoke or a senior citizen who needs drugs to stay alive but instead it goes to people who are stupid enough to smoke in the first place thinking "I dont give a f**k if I smoke or not, it doesnt hurt anybody"

Ok, but in this case this person is well aware of the hazards of smoking and yet he's smoking anyways. We're trying to tell him how wrong he is by sayings its ok to start smoking again.

to be addicted is weak
to stay addicted is weaker
to have been addicted for a long time is an unfortunate circumstance of weakness

Josep

eyerun4phun
sytaylor said:
to be addicted is weak
to stay addicted is weaker
to have been addicted for a long time is an unfortunate circumstance of weakness

i agree very much;)

Josep

eyerun4phun
Chibi Nick said:

thats disgusting, and terribly misguided...

people that can't quit smoking aren't idiots, or freaks, or losers, but they are weak because it is possible to quit, i know pleanty of people that have quit, over many amounts of years too. Although my accounts for how many people have quitted should really not suffice, I find it true though;) not aliens, not wierdos, weak...

Last edited:

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
damn, I figured hell would have frozen over before anybody here agreed with a single comment I have said :p

Smiff

Emutalk Member
has anyone discussed the possible benefits of smoking?

Smoking can be useful in social situations. The paraphenalia around rolling a tube is a ritual that helps people bond... i've observed this on many occasions. Gives you something to hold, fills in awkward silences in conversation, looks good (done right). Might even help you find a mate.

Just beware addiction. Smaller downside is you have to use stronger and stronger aftershave etc. to hide the smell of smoke. I regret not smoking during my teen years.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Do i forfeit the "Community Leadership Award" i just noticed i have :D lol. I'm not saying "smoking is cool". i'm saying "lots of cool [and intelligent] people smoke". just lighting up won't stop you being a dork.

Eagle

aka Alshain
Smiff said:
has anyone discussed the possible benefits of smoking?

Smoking can be useful in social situations. The paraphenalia around rolling a tube is a ritual that helps people bond... i've observed this on many occasions. Gives you something to hold, fills in awkward silences in conversation, looks good (done right). Might even help you find a mate.

Just beware addiction. Smaller downside is you have to use stronger and stronger aftershave etc. to hide the smell of smoke. I regret not smoking during my teen years.

Who the f**k cares if I'm gonna die cause of this cigarette, but hey, I look good while rolling it, and better yet, I'm bonding and that girl over there digs it.

Eagle

aka Alshain
No offense Smiff, I respect your opinion, but it really just sounded ridiculous.

Josep

eyerun4phun
Eagle said:
No offense Smiff, I respect your opinion, but it really just sounded ridiculous.

omg, i just wrote a long ass reply and some how it f**ked up, anyway, that point of view surprises me coming from you smiff, i understand what you mean, but i still think its ludacris to think smoking is a way of "Good" social interaction...

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
Lets just sum up, its a personal choice and as long as people dont force it upon you there is no need to complain. I occasionally smoke....I think the word occasionally is a injustice. I smoke perhaps once maybe twice a month and I always go somewhere else to do it so people dont have to breathe my smoke. I object to those who say smoking is for the weak. Getting addicted may show a lack of character but what about us who are not addicted and just smoke everynow and again, we are in no way weak.:)

edit: I have edited the posts with swearing and subsituted a few letters with **. Since we now have a warning for swearing I think its best that we edge it out :cool:

Last edited:

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
AlphaWolf said:
damn, I figured hell would have frozen over before anybody here agreed with a single comment I have said :p

Damn, I did notice a major drop in the temperatures lately :)

L

Lachp30

I don't really like the idea of smoking myself, but I respect that fact that some people like it. Also, isn't it funny that the guy who started this thread hasn't had anything else to say. Bit of a pointless thread if you ask me..

internalised

Smoking killed three of my grandparents and is working on the 4th so lets just say it's not something I'm particularly fond of, especially growing up with parents who both smoke... and on the occasions when they try to give up, they get such bad withdrawal that they scream at each other :(

vampireuk

Mr. Super Clever
bestlegion said:
No comments, zodiacjaen is just stupid and he's ashaming my country

good god, he made a choice to smoke how in the blue smeg can he be shaming you country?!

Status
Not open for further replies.