What's new

The consequence of giving the internet to TV cable companies

UltraThing

Looks like our "need for speed" might be the internet's undoing.

TV cable is huge already and they're quite capable of buying a few new laws to make this happen if necessary ......

Pisses:angry: me:angry: off!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.democraticmedia.org/news/marketwatch/bandwidthCaps.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Cable's Proposed Consumption Pricing Scheme Will Stifle Broadband Growth, Democratic Potential, Threaten Privacy
Consumer Group Decries Broadband Banditry, Says Hogwash to its Claims

16 October 2002, Washington, DC: The cable industry has begun to pursue plans that could impose new restrictions on Internet use, allowing it to "closely monitor and tightly control its subscribers, network, and offerings." New technology embraced by the cable industry is designed to fundamentally transform today's open network into a system that will prevent such applications as file-sharing, streaming video, and peer-to-peer communications. The stage is now being set for a radically different approach to Internet access, where the flat rate pricing of today is replaced by "tiered and usage-based billing." New schemes are also planned, that could replace the open Net environment with industry-self-described versions of "walled gardens" or "Internet Lite."

Cable operators have begun a PR effort, spinning that a small percentage of users account for a disproportionately large amount of bandwidth used on broadband networks. They have embraced the pejorative term "bandwidth hog" to describe those who find robust uses for high-speed connections. To deal with this "problem," MSOs are considering a variety of approaches designed to ensure they remain in full control of their bandwidth unless users can afford to pay the hefty access fees. Under one plan, a user would be allotted a limited amount of bandwidth per month, and would be charged extra fees for going over this amount.

Bandwidth caps have already been implemented in Canada by major Internet service provider Sympatico, Inc., and observers have been quick to note that the limit - 5 GB per month - would effectively restrict regular use of emerging applications such as Internet radio, streaming media and video-on-demand. Consumption-based pricing and other restrictive access controls contradict the spirit of openness and innovation that built the Internet in the first place, and will do irreparable harm to its future as a medium for small business initiatives, non-commercial communications and democratic discourse. New threats to privacy are also clear, given the intrusive nature of the technology to closely monitor all online use.

"This new threat to online communications is a direct consequence of recent FCC policies by Chair Michael Powell that permit cable companies to operate their broadband platforms in a discriminatory, non-open access manner," said Jeffrey Chester, executive director of the Center for Digital Democracy. "In the absence of public policy safeguards, these emerging pricing and control structures will act as a digital poll tax, creating a powerful form of discrimination against diversity and participation on the broadband Internet."

Cable Plans for Broadband Spelled Out

Little interpretation is necessary to come to these conclusions about cable's vision for the broadband Internet. Its plans can easily be viewed by examining the product literature of Ellacoya Networks, whose technology is now part of a trial at Cablelabs, the industry's secretive Lousiville, Co. testing facility. Ellacoya's "IP Switch and software systems" help broadband providers determine which homes are eating up valuable bandwidth." "Cable operators hold two critical assets that are desired by content owners: a billing relationship with the subscriber and control over the quality of content delivery. By leveraging these assets, operators can offer 'walled gardens' of fee-based applications and services, either by hosting the selected partners' content on-net or by redirecting the subscriber to the partners' off-net destinations."

Ellacoya suggests that operators can "...limit bandwidth and restrict use of advanced applications such as peer-to-peer, newsgroups, VPN, and videoconferencing. Alternatively, operators can introduce .....

.......... unfortunately I had to cut the article short because it was over the 5000 chracter limit,but you get the idea. If you want to read the rest the link is above.

crhylove

Banned
well...

this is just yet ANOTHER example of how our gov is bought and paid for by a variety of corporations that have monopolized everything and put out the worst possible quality in all of those things.

microsoft: worst os
ford/gm/chrysler: worst cars
aol/time/cnn/fox: worst news, network, etc.
mcdonalds: worst food
RIAA: worst music (who can really STAND eminem?!?)

ad infiniti.

i say get a gun and get behind me and start shouting.

lol

OP
UltraThing

UltraThing

I don't care about any of that. I just don't want the entire internet being "managed" by worldwide cable modem providers through enhanced charges for increased bandwidth usage and using "unpopular" protocols (i.e. usenet, ftp, mirc, etc). Theyre going to use the typical AOL grandma as the "typical user" and make out real users to be "bandwidth hogs" who are sneaking off to mysterious places on the internet, so the AOL grannies won't mind when the billing tiers kick in because all they ever do is check to hear "Youve got mail!"

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Actualy, you know, I currently make my money off of the automobile industry, and I would have to say that chrystlers are all around POS's that I would rather have nothing to do with. Ford and GM are quality cars, but I typicaly find that people stay away from them because they tend to be gas hogs.

I also agree about mcdonalds, but I suppose of you eat at a specific restaraunt enough, you can grow to like it. I myself think their meat smells like a urinal.

this is just yet ANOTHER example of how our gov is bought and paid for by a variety of corporations that have monopolized everything and put out the worst possible quality in all of those things.

I don't think so, they can be lobbied and whatnot, but iirc the government is actualy already planning on regulating the hell out of cable providers, because they currently hold whats called a "pure monopoly". Right now some of them are pretty damn lucky to get away with what they do. You would hear me complaining if my ISP was one of the bad guys, which lucky for me, they aren't.

This bill is their attempt at getting rights to do these things. If they had any competition, they wouldn't even consider doing this, because the other guy would get more customers if they did. Believe me, sooner or later they will have competition, there are all kinds of smaller ISP companies that don't have access to cable, but you can bet your ass that they will get it one way or another.

Last edited:

icepir8

Re: well...

crhylove said:

ad infiniti.

lol
Damn! GM is one of the worst?

My Chevy Van has 340,000 miles on it. I wonder how many miles I could put on a "Good" make.

Macca

crhylove said:

XP - worst os? ...right
Ford make great cars, i don't know why you dislike them.
Mcdonalds is pure shit, so yeh.
Eminem has his good songs

All my opinions :)

crhylove

Banned
i wasn't comparing to the other globally dominant POS cars like puegot and VW, i was comparing to the small companies that really tried to innovate and got shut down illegally:

delorean
tucker
etc.

when you add those two to the mix, ford/gm/chrysler drops right to the bottom of the new list.

but every once in a while a corporation gets it right, i'd say that this is the exception rather than the rule.

how many times have you bought a game and found out it sucked major ass?

compared to how many times you bought a good one?

(now i mean, in a piracy free blind test, not a game you already played, then went and bought).

i can tell you i've bought ONE game without extensively playing it first, and it blew major donkey scrotum. Civ:ctp. burn me once, shame on you, burn me twice, shame on me....

i won't get shamed soon in that dept.

and anyone who argues that any major fast food chain in america produces anything but horseshit, is a moron, or completely insane, or too young to know any better.

except in n out, which is still owned in it's entirety by one family.

and windows, is vastly inferior to linux or os x. other than the fact the MS has strong armed the entire industry into catering to it. so in effect, yeah, it's the best, but wouldn't be if there had been a fair fight, which there wasn't...

and let's be totally frank... windows ME would've ruined any other company. that product was not worth even putting a bad review of up.

rhy

ra5555

N64 Newbie

crhylove said:

ad infiniti.

lol

I partly agree, but it's not the "worst" in my opinion ;)

Sukh

Long gone...
How dare anyone say bad words about my beloved McDonalds. It may be made of shit, but it tastes like heaven. Yes, and I generally go along with the "blame American Government/Corporations for everything" vibe ;) hehe