What's new

For all GFX Plugin devrs.; Plugins with texture debugging/saving options?

jelbo

Nintendo emulation fanatic!
Hi there,

I recently discovered (well, Falcon4ever told me) that with Glide64 you can view used textures by pressing ALT and SCROLL LOCK. I’ve attached an image of what you see. I’m very, very interested in ripping textures from N64 roms. As with sprite ripping (extracting animated characters and objects from a game, see this topic: http://www.emutalk.net/showthread.php?s=&threadid=8501 ) you can do very cool things with this. The problem for me is that Glide64 doesn’t run well at my system. I use eVoodoo as a glide wrapper.

I wonder if more graphics plugins support similar texture-viewing as with Glide64 (by pressing top secret button combo’s? :D ). I heard from Icepir8 that he has saved many textures on his hd with his TR_ogl (?) plugin in debug mode. But I don’t find any debug mode on his plugin. So, if any developers know of such features, please tell me here.

Also, maybe there are other ways to extract/view/save textures from n64 roms. Maybe with some tools. I did hear from N64gfx, but I think it’s rubbish, can’t get it to work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated. I’ll attach a few textures I saved too to show what I mean.

Falcon4ever

Plugin coder / Betatester
jelbo said:

The problem for me is that Glide64 doesn’t run well at my system. I use eVoodoo as a glide wrapper.

I wonder if more graphics plugins support similar texture-viewing as with Glide64 (by pressing top secret button combo’s? :D ). I heard from Icepir8 that he has saved many textures on his hd with his TR_ogl (?) plugin in debug mode. But I don’t find any debug mode on his plugin. So, if any developers know of such features, please tell me here.

There are no secret combo's ... :colgate:

(the only things you can do in debug mode (for glide64) is checking triangles (press delete or home (i forgot) to enable mouse) and displaying textures in the memory) ;)

Note: CBFD isn't fully supported by Glide64 yet...

LD.

*poke*
Glide64 also resizes the textures to display them onscreen. It's interesting, but not that useful for people that want to rip.

OP
jelbo

jelbo

Yeah, I'm not that interested in Glide64's functions. I want to know if other gfx plugins also support similar functions. Maybe you know of better ways to rip textures LD? :bunny:

LD.

*poke*
I haven't got a clue, I'm afrraid. I've looked around, and I found a tool on zophar.net that lets you view graphics in n64 roms, but it's practically impossible to line up everything so you can actually see things.

Cyberman

Hmmm
This is a good question, in order to do that one would have to check when new textures are loaded into graphics plugin, I know how to do this with a PSXemupro plugin but not with an N64 one. I suppose it's doable, but don't expect it to be fast. Also depending on how often the game changes textures you might end up with a considerable quantity of the same images dumped to disk or whatever.
I'm sure it will be fun to name all those texture files. Formating them to BMP files might be entertaining as well. (wee?)

Sounds like a good project start your compilors ;)

Cyb

The Khan Artist

Warrior for God
I know such a function exists in Jabo's D3D plugins, v1.4, at the least. I tried hacking it into usability once, but failed. I haven't tried v1.5, but I think I will, as the last time was almost a year ago, and I know lots more about hacking now.

cooliscool

Nintendo Zealot
Nice, this could be damn useful for testing when running the beta quest, E.G. looking for abnormal textures. woot. :)

OP
jelbo

jelbo

Also depending on how often the game changes textures you might end up with a considerable quantity of the same images dumped to disk or whatever.
I'm sure it will be fun to name all those texture files. Formating them to BMP files might be entertaining as well. (wee?)

Yeah, dumping textures as .bmp format would be very nice indeed. Icepir8 did so with his plugin he said, but I want it too. :inlove:

The Khan Artist, I wish you much success with hacking into Jabo's D3D plugin (1.5). I wonder if Jabo allows this though. Anyway, it would be nice to see some results in texture saving.

I ripped some Paper Mario sprites and other textures yesterday, of which I made some nice alpha blended icons. I also made a cursor of Link's Master Sword (from the action icon in OOT).

If anyone knows a way of dumping textures in .bmp (or other image formats) on disk please tell it here. :)

FirebrandX

Yes, I could really use a plugin tool that views textures without resizing them. The glide one seems to mess some of the sizes up a bit. I've notice many N64 graphic plugins don't display the pixels poperly on sprites, bitmaps, and textures. Often the pixels are warped with some being fat and some being skinny.

I'd like to dump textures from games like Doom 64 without them being warped.

Also, to those that have seen N64 graphic editors and such listed on sites like Zophar: Those do not work on compressed rom graphics & textures. So no amount of tile-lining would ever reveal them. I had to find that out the hard way...