What's new

Aston shell confusion

L

Lachp30

I am a little confused as to what the Aston shell program does to your computer, apart from giving you a new looking theme. Does it delete your files and shortcuts or your original desktop, or move folders around?

Lockie

Allnatural

It replaces Explorer. Nothing's deleted, and nothing is really "moved" so to speak. Your desktop shortcuts are available via the Start menu (there is a folder called "Desktop"). The icons are no longer on the desktop because Explorer is no longer the shell. You could easily put your shorcuts back on the desktop, but with Aston you're not limited to simple icons. You can use up to three bitmaps indicating a normal, highlighted, and selected state. If you want your old desktop back you simply run the ShellSwapper and it'll put Explorer back in control.

I think that answered your question. :)

OP
L

Lachp30

Yep, all apart from that Shell swapper part. Does that need to be done in DOS? Also, are there any alternatives to Aston that are better?

Allnatural

The Shell Swapper does not require DOS, although there is a Shswdos program for switching in DOS.

I personally know of three shell replacements: Aston, Litestep, and Hoverdesk. I prefer Aston over Litestep, and I've never tried Hoverdesk.

Snake785

Prepare for Descent.
I dont like Aston. When I uninstalled it it didn't restore my IE or Control Panel or Printers icons. It also messed up other as well. TweakUI doesn't fix them either :(