What's new

Problem with Super Smash Bros, freezing mid-fight

kalethis

I'm having a problem using Super Smash Bros (USA) rom.. first off, I know the rom is good, friend of mine has it, sent it and re-sent it to me several times, works for him, not for me...

The problem I'm having is this... after approximately 20 seconds into the fight, the game seems to freeze... sound gets real jittery and no further draws are made on the screen. The emu doesn't freeze up however. It just makes the game unplayable for even 1 complete fight...

My primary plugin config is Jabo's Direct3D6 1.3 plugin (fog off, windowed 800x600, fullscreen 1024x768x32, all other options at default), Jabo's DirectSound 1.30, and NooTe's input plugin 0.42 build 17.

First thing I did was try it in full screen and windowed mode each. Problem happens in both. Next, disabled sound. Still have problem. Tried 2 more input plugins (Jabo's DirectInput7 1.30 and nRage Direct-Input8 1.60). Problem still occured every time. SO now to tweaking the video plugin, since this is the only one (out of 1964's opengl plugin and jabo's opengl plugin) that would even run the game.

First, I tried RBG emulation. Ran way, way, way, *way* too slow. So switched back to Direct3D HAL. Next I went to the advanced tab. I tried every possible combination (yes, every, to the best of my memory) of settings on this tab. Same problem. Using "Black" frame buffer emulation caused the game to not even make it to menu screen (would lock up once I hit the Start key).

I am really at a loss... Goldeneye and Zelda 2 run fine for me, I just wish this one would too... Here are my system specs, in case there are any known conflicts that I couldn't find...

CPU: AMD Athlon Thunderbird 1.4ghz
MB: Epox 8KTA3 (VIA KT133A chipset +686B southbridge)
RAM: 512mb (2 x 256) PC 133 SDRAM
GFX: VisionTek GeForce 3 (original gf3, not the new Ti chips)
SFX: Creative Labs Soundblaster Live! 5.1 series
Video driver: nVidia Detonator XP v22.80 (leaked set, works excecptionally better than the 23.11 drivers for me)
DirectX: 8.1
VIA 4-in-1: 4.36

Can't think of anything else that might be pertinent... It's a relatively clean install of the OS as well, just did clean install 2 days ago. Friend of mine has a very similar setup, except he has a 1.2ghz cpu, different MB (still VIA), and only 256mb of ram. We use the same driver versions of DirectX, VIA 4-in-1 (i think, he *might* be using 4.35 still), and video drivers. Works just fine for him (occasional rom freezes, but 99% playable for him).

If anyone can help, it'd be much appreciated... Thank you.

Last edited: