What's new

N64 layer diabling / texture saving

icepir8

jelbo said:
I have a question concerning N64 graphics. With GB, NES, SNES, GBA, GBC etc. graphics were constructed of different layers. In emulators there was always (well, often) a function to disable/enable these layers. (I've attached an image to show this in Snes9x) With this option you could very easily extract animations from games (Which I've done too, see my site http://nintendocursors.cjb.net and some animations I'll attach). These images are often used as avatars nowadays, but I also create cursors of them. (In fact I even e-mailed Nintendo and they're interested in them to use on their website).

My question/request is if anyone who develops N64 graphics plugins (Jabo? Rice?) could build in such a feature. I don't know if this is very difficult to do, but it would be an awesome feature! The only thing I want is to see N64 sprites (e.g. Mario or Link) on a blank background.
N64 Graphics doesn't support layers. Sorry.
jelbo said:
Another thing that would be cool (and who knows possible?) is to extract textures from N64 roms. I think that when you're emulating a rom, these textures must be somewhere in the video or system memory. So, it wouldn't be that difficult to save these textures as files on a harddisk right? I wish I'd know more of programming and stuff, but I presume it's possible.
Now we are getting to something that is possible. The Problem here is there can be 1000s of textures dumped durring a game. But it is definitely workable. Matter of fact I dump the textures to hard disk when debugging my Tr64 Ogl plugin.

iq_132

Banned
Hmmm
i made my mario using around 100 screenshots. I put them into gif movie gear, crop them.
then i reduce the colors and the amount of frames i need. Then i export them to individual gif images. I then take paint and remove the background and unwanted information. Then drop the frames back into gif movie gear and resize the image. I also crop and adjust it a little more so that the image isn't like 400 kb like that big mario I posted was.

iq_132

Banned
The original is too big to be an avatar, but here's one (if it's ok with jelbo) that is smaller in size (96x64) with is within the avatar sizes for emutalk and i reduced the file size so that it doesn't take forever to load on a 56k.

iq_132

Banned
jelbo said:
Iq_132: That's pretty cool you made almost the same one as me! Only mine looks better and has more frames, hehe. :happy:

As for yours looking better... check the file size on yours. It is bigger than mine. I used less colors so that the file size would be smaller (it started at 400k). I also reduced the frames to reduce the file size.

This is without the color reduction :)

Last edited:

LD.

*poke*
Sweet holy crap, these things look great! If only my graphics card would render things properly in D3D, I doubt the video capture thingy would work on a secondary video card :/

OP
jelbo

jelbo

Nintendo emulation fanatic!
Icepir8, that dumped picture is awesome! Maybe you could post some pics here, zipped bmp's would be nice. I mean, yours was from Mariokart 64 right? When you have all images of Bowser you can make a nice animation!

I'm very interested in dumping textures, please explain some more. MAybe you can give the plugin you make them with.

Feel free to use my animations as avatars; I'll make some smaller versions of it soon.

Icepi8, about the layers; in Pj64 1.5 beta, with Kirby 64, the background in the titlescreen was gone. So, there must be a way to see only the character(s) no? Like Mario on a white background? :!!!:

OP
jelbo

jelbo

Here's another cut-down version of Link moving his shield.

Remote

That's a kick ass animation... :D Keep the good work up... I would love to see a well done tutorial on this subject... God knows it could come in handy...

Stezo2k

S-2K
lol, anyways them images kick ass, i just wish they was to my taste, then i'd have a nice avitor :D

Stez

Last edited:

Remote

Stezo2k: drop the attitude, there's nothing wrong with giving people hugs, as long it's in controlled form...;)

Last edited:
OP
jelbo

jelbo

Stezo2k, what's your taste then? Maybe I can make one for you. :D

Stezo2k

S-2K
Remote said:
Stezo2k: drop the attitude, there's nothing wrong with giving people hugs, as long it's in controlled form...;)

sorry, but theres other ways to thank ppl rather than giving ppl hugs ;) sounds prety fishy 2 me :p

Stez