What's new

Partitions question?

OP
2bzy4ne1

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
AlphaWolf said:
don't forget to chkdsk that partition, remember pm isn't perfect.
Just used chkdsk a few moments ago and everything came out fine.

Originally posted by ra5555
Careful with Partition Magic, it once crashed during the process of Partitioning in windows ??? creating a lot of truble. if you have the time format your harddrive and use fdisk.
I will be careful. I have the important data backed up already. :thumbsup:

Mirco Muck

Re: AllNatrual,

RJA said:
Is it just me?

I noticed a *MAJOR* bug with FDISK,
but only occurs with my Maxtor 80 GB UDMA 100 HDD:

FDISK wrongly "thinks" my new Maxtor 80 GB hard disk drive is only 12,976MB!

..But my Maxtor 13 GB UDMA 66 HDD works correctly
with FDISK and reports 13,029 MB.

..So I *must* use Partition Magic.

Has *anyone* else seen this FDISK bug?

Its a known issue in FDisk. It warps Disk-Sizes around 64 GB (MOD-Function). You can still use it to partition your HD, but have got to use % rather than MB.

Stezo2k

S-2K
sounds kinda fucked up partitioning your HD, dont think i ever will :p NTFS sounds good, but it will be hard for me to format when i get an upgrade :(

Stez

zorbid

AlphaWolf said:
zorbid said:
I have a dedicated partition for the virtual memory (pagefile.sys), so it is never fragmented :p.

Thats a good idea, unix OSes work the same way, windows makes it a pain in the ass for you though, especialy XP because it always wants to tell you that the partition has no space free even though you are already well aware of the fact.
There is a registry tweak, you must create a 'nolowdiskspacecheck' key somewhere. Check unofficial winXP support sites, you should find the exact trick.

A very nice thing is, if you have enough RAM (1Gig should do it), to create a 512 Mo RAMdisk, and put the pagefile.sys on it.

Last edited:

DiaBlo666

i usually use two partitions cuz i put windows on first one then my whole backup at other drive.. if windows "fly south" (like someone just said here) i just need to format c and i dont lose anything except config...

iq_132

Banned
I wish I had enough disk space to do that DiaBlo666, but alas, I have used just about half of my disk space on both drives :(

DiaBlo666

iq_132 i m using a 17 gb hdd..
drive C is 3 gb then rest goes to next drive..
im getting a new 80 gb hdd soon so ill be using like 4,5 gb for OS then 70 gb for stuff..

Allnatural

I have three drives, two in RAID 0, and one for storage and backups. As soon as some new parts arrive I'm going to re-partition my RAID array into two partitions, one for Windows and one for programs. That way I can use to Ghost to image my Windows partition periodically, and when things go bad I can preserve my shortcuts when restoring.:)