What's new

Got some questions about a router here

Olger901

Banned
Hello there my dad is gonna buy a router in a day or 2 and I want to know a few things before he does that. 1 Now we get internet from a Hub My dad's pc is connected to the internet and the hub and the hub gives me internet. This time the internet cable will go directly from the internet into the router and then we will have internet access via the router (so it means all Incl. my dad) I have a few questions about the router here (he is still not sure which one he is gonna buy though so pls some advice would also come in handy

1 will all my messenger programs like mIRC, ICQ, AOL, MsN, Yahoo! etc still work?

2 Will I still be able to download from the fserve's on mIRC?

3 Will Internet still work in linux if I have a router?

4 Will I still be able to play games online when I have a router installed

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
yes, yes, yes and yes... Linux shouldn't have any problems with it, and for the other stuff you just have to open some ports.

Eagle

aka Alshain
RPGlover12 said:
But i heard that the voice convo's wont work in msn is this true or not coz am not sure though ;)

They should. If you allow access to the ports needed. A router works just like a HUB with the exception that a HUB is pretty damn stupid. Routers are smart, they can send data directly to a computer that requests it rather than broadcasting it to all the computers on the network. In addition routers can have a small hard drive and CPU allowing them to run firewall software to protect you from intrusive hacks without running software on the computer. Not all routers are firewall capable though so if its just a simple router than you will notice no difference between the router and the hub, with the exception of a speed increase due to the "no broadcasting" mentioned earlier.

RPGlover12

Yeah but i heard that the other user\contact must have the same op to let this work am not sure though ;) but u can tell me taht though cant ya ;)

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
Olger901 said:

1 will all my messenger programs like mIRC, ICQ, AOL, MsN, Yahoo! etc still work?

God damn....I think the proper question should be "does trillian work?" and yes it does ;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Re: Re: Got some questions about a router here

AlphaWolf said:
Olger901 said:

God damn....I think the proper question should be "does trillian work?" and yes it does ;)

I agree. RPG. I cant tell you for absolute positive as I dont own a router.

Josep

eyerun4phun
i own a router and it works perfect, no problems at all, in fact, EVER, i highly recommend getting a router;)

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
Ok I got another question.

Which router should I choose since there are so many on the market and I don't want to buy any junk

Josep

eyerun4phun
i have a netgear as well, can't remember the model number and all that stuff off the top of my head, got it for like $70 bucks;) Works great though, no problems ever;)

Eagle

aka Alshain
Yeah, Netgear and 3COM make the best network equipment. Right now most networkers prefer 3COM but Netgear is good too.

OP
O

Olger901

Banned
Ok I have bought a router and it works great the setup took me like 3 seconds :D :happy: :happy:

I bought a SVEC 10/100 Mbps Cable/DSL router