What's new

Comments on Windows XP SP1

ra5555

N64 Newbie
As most of you know, windows xp SP1 has just came out from the good old Microsoft.

However, due to that fact that Bill GATE$ still want$ more dollar$, its company have introduced additional technological measures aimed at ensuring licensed customers receive full benefits and to make it more difficult for those who pirate software to steal these same benefits. Upon installation the SP1 patch will check for your product id key, as far as I know, the majority of the pirated version contains the same 2 product id numbers, and if you are using one of the 2 id keys (wared versions), setup will halt upon installation. The romer that the patch will destory the system containing a pirated version of WinXP is fortunately unture.

microsoft's new Services pack aimes fixing lots of sercurity issues found in XP, it contains all the fixes up untill Aug 2002.

From Microsoft

This release also Ensures licensed customers receive full benefits Eligibility for Windows XP Service Pack 1 and Windows Update Licensed customers will continue to enjoy product updates and access to Windows Update. Service pack 1 will fail to install on Windows XP installations using either of two well-known pirated product keys. Additionally, Windows Update will verify the product key used to install Windows XP against a list of valid product keys to ensure installations made with cracked or pirated product keys will not receive access. Additional grace periods for hardware out-of-tolerance situations Users will have up to 3 days to re-activate Windows XP after making a hardware change that triggers the need to re-activate. Previously, users were required to re-activate immediately upon the next boot after the hardware changes were made. Volume license key (VLK) encryption An encryption feature will be added to unattended setups of Windows XP with Service Pack 1. Customers who place their VLK in an unattended setup file (unattend.txt) will be able to encrypt the VLK such that it will be time limited and hidden from plain text. Raising the bar on pirates Product key inclusion in Installation ID for activation In order to protect customers and Microsoft against product key attacks, the product key used to install Windows will be included in the Installation ID for all activations completed after SP1 has been installed. Internet activations will send the entire product key while telephone activations will send a hash value of the product key in order to limit the increase in size of the telephone Installation ID.. Repair of activation circumventions Service Pack 1 for Windows XP will contain fixes to cracks used by software pirates to circumvent activation. Installations of Windows XP patched by a crack will require activation after SP1 has been installed.

However I am confident that some one will come up with a crack for this service pack within a few weeks.

more information can be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/basics/activation/windowsxpsp1.asp

please share your comments.
:linux:

Last edited:

iq_132

Banned
Of course it will be cracked, but if you're smart, you'll look for a different version of XP... I have Pro Corp... and if you're really really smart, you'll find the key and make your own... SP1 doesn't check for those :)

OP
R

ra5555

N64 Newbie
From Microsoft's FAQs page:

you can see that a cracked version of the SP1 patch probably won't be able to access windows update, but who need it anyways :p.

What about the Windows Update check of the product key? And also during activation the product key is now provided? How does Microsoft know whether a customer is using pirated or genuine product key in these instances? And what about privacy in these matters, as the check is occurring on the Microsoft end?
For Windows Update, the product key and product ID are verified by Windows Update. There is no link to the activation system. Once the product key and product ID are validated, they are discarded; neither the key nor the ID are maintained after the validation check.

For activation after SP1 has been installed, Microsoft uses the product key as part of the Installation ID to determine if it is legitimate. If it is not legitimate, the activation request is denied. In this case, the product key (along with the entire installation ID) is kept as part of the error record. Remember that no personally identifiable information is required to activate.

iq_132

Banned
And, there are ways to change your key if you've already installed windows... if you look hard enough.

OP
R

ra5555

N64 Newbie
iq_132 said:
And, there are ways to change your key if you've already installed windows... if you look hard enough.

Its not the cd Key SP1 checks, its the product ID..

you can find it by right clicking on my computer - properties - and go to the general tab

iq_132

Banned
Uhhh... I'm pretty sure it checks the keys... you did say it yourself.. right in your first post... you might want to read it some time.

AlphaWolf

I prey, not pray.
It's pretty damn easy to get around that, I have already done so on my PC that I use as a test bed for bad software like this. But quite honestly, SP1 does more bad for your system than good - its not worth it, pirated or not, trust me. (for one the system now runs slower and has a lot more "Retarded user" nags).

OP
R

ra5555

N64 Newbie
iq_132 said:
Uhhh... I'm pretty sure it checks the keys... you did say it yourself.. right in your first post... you might want to read it some time.

hmmm I think I said Id... anyway here is the faqs from microsoft

What happens to a customer who tries to install SP1 onto a Windows XP install made with one of these pirated keys? Are there any exceptions to this?
They will be unable to install the update until they have acquired genuine software and installed that software with a valid product key. Nothing will happen to their underlying Windows XP installation. Access to upgrades and service releases is a benefit that Microsoft offers to those who have acquired and use genuine Microsoft products only. There are no exceptions to this.

What should a customer do if they find they unwittingly acquired a pirated copy of Windows XP? How can a customer acquire a legitimate license for Windows XP if they find that theirs is pirated?
The customer should go back to the point of purchase and demand a refund or a genuine copy of Windows XP. Customers can also contact Microsoft directly at http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.asp and report the piracy.

Customers can acquire a legitimate copy of Windows XP from a trusted retailer or PC manufacturer.

What are the product keys that are affected by this?
We are not publishing the product keys themselves, however the product IDs generated from these product keys are (where X may be any numeric value):

XXXXX-640-0000356-23XXX
XXXXX-640-2001765-23XXX
The product ID can be found by right clicking on My Computer and choosing Properties and viewing the General tab.

What about the Windows Update check of the product key? And also during activation the product key is now provided? How does Microsoft know whether a customer is using pirated or genuine product key in these instances? And what about privacy in these matters, as the check is occurring on the Microsoft end?
For Windows Update, the product key and product ID are verified by Windows Update. There is no link to the activation system. Once the product key and product ID are validated, they are discarded; neither the key nor the ID are maintained after the validation check.

For activation after SP1 has been installed, Microsoft uses the product key as part of the Installation ID to determine if it is legitimate. If it is not legitimate, the activation request is denied. In this case, the product key (along with the entire installation ID) is kept as part of the error record. Remember that no personally identifiable information is required to activate.

bodie

pretty useless on the part of microsoft to cripple certain updates for pirated software when most of what you'll need is in the sp1 ,and that at the most all you will need is the odd critical update ... i love microsoft ,they have given me a lifetime of laughs .. rock on bill :colgate:
bodie

Stezo2k

S-2K
ra5555 said:
iq_132 said:

hmmm I think I said Id... anyway here is the faqs from microsoft

What happens to a customer who tries to install SP1 onto a Windows XP install made with one of these pirated keys? Are there any exceptions to this?
They will be unable to install the update until they have acquired genuine software and installed that software with a valid product key. Nothing will happen to their underlying Windows XP installation. Access to upgrades and service releases is a benefit that Microsoft offers to those who have acquired and use genuine Microsoft products only. There are no exceptions to this.

What should a customer do if they find they unwittingly acquired a pirated copy of Windows XP? How can a customer acquire a legitimate license for Windows XP if they find that theirs is pirated?
The customer should go back to the point of purchase and demand a refund or a genuine copy of Windows XP. Customers can also contact Microsoft directly at http://www.microsoft.com/piracy/reporting/default.asp and report the piracy.

Customers can acquire a legitimate copy of Windows XP from a trusted retailer or PC manufacturer.

What are the product keys that are affected by this?
We are not publishing the product keys themselves, however the product IDs generated from these product keys are (where X may be any numeric value):

XXXXX-640-0000356-23XXX
XXXXX-640-2001765-23XXX
The product ID can be found by right clicking on My Computer and choosing Properties and viewing the General tab.

Yep, but the product key is generated from the serial number u have put in when u installed it/changed it

Stez

Mayco

i don't know if i am allowed to post this here, but if a mod/admin doesn't like it, just give me a warning and i will remove this post (or do it yourself :))

I attached some program to change the product key. Yes, also that version of xp can be blocked. So if you have a pirated version of windows (it doesn't matter wich version, Home edition, professional editiopn or corporate) and you want to update it with the sp1, you have to use this :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

adi

get out of my house
sp1 works brilliantly for me. i did a clean install with it slipstreamed and everything runs a bit faster, especially directx games like virtua tennis. i recommend it

Eagle

aka Alshain
Well, I'm going to be getting a free XP fully legit version from my school like I mentioned in the Talk of the Town WinXP post, but just in case, I'm hanging onto the patch.

BTW, this may sound odd, but I've never heard of this slipstream thing (except on Star Trek: Voyager, where it was a theoretical improved warp drive) can someone tell me what it is?

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Eagle said:
BTW, this may sound odd, but I've never heard of this slipstream thing (except on Star Trek: Voyager, where it was a theoretical improved warp drive) can someone tell me what it is?
I'd like to know as well...???