What's new

help me please, im stupid

stupid_noob

ok heres the deal, i make levels for jedi knight 2 jedi outcast, and i thought it would be cool to do a map of the bowser boss level in super mario 64, so i went searching abit and i found some pictures of the opening screens of n64 games in a Windows window, now i dont know anything about all this rom 1965 emulation etc etc stuff. so i was wondering if u guys could tell me, it sounds like it enables you to play console games on a PC, so if thats what it can do or you know something that can do this, please tell me all the files i would need to be able to play this.

some one please help me out cuz ive been having a bad week and itd cheer me up if i could play super mario 64 on my computer

iq_132

Banned
you need 1964 the program or Project 64, the plugins that come with them, a controller, and a mario64 rom - easy to find, and a decent computer. and a little bit of knowledge of how to set up plugins.

Don't even dare ask for roms (the games themselves) on this site.
It's not exactly legal to have them unless you own the game for the n64.

The best page I can think of to help you set things up is:
http://www.smiff.clara.net/
One of the Moderators on emutalk runs it. (Smiff)

OP
S

stupid_noob

ok i have the pj64, i got 3 plugins but the same file was already in the 64 folder, now if i get the rom where do i put it? and when i launch the Project64.exe its a blank window, also under options it looked like i needed to configure some stuff, and what about that

StonedConker

stupid_noob said:
now if i get the rom where do i put it?

there is a folder in the direction you installed PJ called Roms you must put the file there(rom=game).then start the emulator and go to FILE/LOAD ROM (i suspect that you have an older version of PJ cause you say about a blank screen,you should have the gui with 1.4 version.SuperMario64 is a good game to start practice with the emu

sk8bloke22

roll for life
there are plenty of emus out there to try. pj64 is just one of the better renowned ones, and probably a safer bet if u r a newbie. the newer emus all use a plugin system, and now (finally), there are loads of plugins available. basically if u get pj64, like u hav, it comes with everything there set up (apart from say controller settings). just make sure u hav a compatible gfx card, this can be most new gfx cards. download ur roms, place them whereva u like, and when u use pj64 choose open file, and locate ur rom file whereeva that maybe.

if u wanna try out different plugins, then i would definitely recommend it.

heres a little guide:

- Emulators: an n64 emu emulated the n64 console, with the aim of making a fully compatible core. if a core is fully compatible, then every game will run on that emu, however, that does not necessarily mean the gfx will run perfect, or the sound will run perfect.

PJ64 1.5beta = very compatible with most games, but demands a fast pc

1964.0.7.3 = another very compatible emu, plays most of the games that pj64 plays (apart from a few), but has excellent options that allow big speed increases (plus new version coming very soon)

Apollo = i personally dont use it much, but it is pretty compatible, but is a bit featureless compared to the other 2 emus (can be a good thing). worth trying out, but i would recommend waiting for the next release as it will be the only emu that supports Banjo Tooie (apart from an unreleased version of pj64)

Daedalus = similar to apollo, nice compatibility, but not up to the level of pj64 and 1964. still, i like using daedalus as its very easy to use.

Tr64 = again, like apollo and daedalus, this emu is worth trying, but due to the author working more of his gfx plugin, theres been no updates for a while.

Nemu = one of the old n64 emus, before the plugin system was released. this emu has built in gfx and sound (one of the best sound in n64 emulation). compatibility seems pretty limited now compared to the newer emus and their ability to use a variety of plugins. nemu is still being developed, and the authors supposedly are aiming for 100% compatibility! however its not being released for a while, and dont beg for its release in the forums, as the longer it takes means the more work will be put into it.

UltraHLE = the first emu to play commercial games. no newer version were eva released, and it was discontinued pretty much the time it was released (cos the n64 was still pretty new when it came out, so nintendo werent too happy). very limited compatibiltiy, but plays the compatible games very well. good for zelda: oot, mario64, goldeneye, mariokart64, and a few others. its very very fast, but requires a glide compatible gfx card (the voodoo cards). however by using a glide wrapper, non-voodoo cards can use it happily,

SuperHLE = a hacked version of Ultra, that aimed to increase compatibility of the great emu through hacks. it was pretty successful considering the difficulty involved in modifying an emu without the source code. a few more games hav been added to ultrhle's compat. list . however recently the source code of ultrahle was discovered, meaning superHLE no longer needs to rely on hacking, and in time, hopefully a completely modified version of uhle will be released.

Corn = very incompatible, but super fast, and thats no exaggeration. expect ridiculously fast fps on games like mario64, mariokart 64, and a few others. this has been discontinued.

- Graphics plugins (sorry if i miss any): A gfx plugin emulated the games gfx, so some gfx plugins emulate some games better than others. which usually means u would need to use a variety of plugins if u hav a lot of roms)>

Jabo's D3d 1.4 = for a while this has been the most compatible plugin, its optimised for Nvidia gfx cards, has great compatibilty for about 70% of the n64 roms. however, many newer plugins are able to emulate roms that are unplayable on jabo's. generally, i would recommend this for any newbie to begin with. comes with pj64.

Glide64 0.253 = possibly on the same level as jabo's (except some games probably run better with this plugin). to see the compatibility of it, go to glide64.emuxhaven.com and go to the compatibility list. the plugin is optimised only for glide cards (thats the voodoo cards), however, by using evoodoo (a glide emulator made mainly for use with glide64), u can use other gfx cards, however there are some bugs using evoodoo and glide64, quite understandably. evoodoo should be linked on glide64.emuxhaven.com (i cant remember the site name).

Unofficial Daedalus D3d 0.08 = extremely compatible, especially with games that hav been difficult to emulate. however it is difficult to use due to a large amount of options. i believe Duncan is working an .ini which would automatic recognition of which options are required for each rom, meaning that the user does not need to fiddle with the large amount of options this plugin has. also i hav an almost complete compat. list for it, saying the options required, but i dont think im releasing it for a while. available from the 'plugins' forum in emutalk

Daedalus D3d = this is different to the plugin above as its done by the official author of daedalus (Strmn Nrmn), whilst the plugin mentioned above was done by Rice, using the daedalus d3d gfx source code. Again very compatible, but not quite as revolutionary as Rice's plugin (the unofficial daedalus plugin), but still worth looking at nonetheless. available from daedalus.boob.co.uk

Tr64 OpenGL = another great plugin, thats getting more and more compatible with each release. however due to the lack of a .ini file or automatic ucode recognition, each rom required u to input its ucode, which is a bit of a pain. u will understand wat i mean when/if u try the plugin out. available from the tr64 forum on emutalk.

glNintendo() = a pretty new plugin that has seriously improved with the new release, and looking at the screenshots for the unreleased version, this plugin is really begining to shine. not one of the best yet, but worth trying simply for the fact this it has like no options and is therefore so easy to use.

- Audio/sound:

Jabo's directsound = fantastic sound plugin, fully compatible, and has incredible sound quality...however it requres a fast-ish pc. also the emulator needs rsp emulation (i think only 1964 and pj64 run this plugin). available with pj641.4/1.5beta1

Azimar's 0.4beta2 = again excellent sound quality, but not fully compatible, also a bit demanding in terms of pc spec. this is available with 1964

Azimar's 0.30 = very fast plugin, highly compatible, but hasnt the greatest of sound quality...some games that use mp3 speech like perfect dark and conker's bad fur day sound awful with this plugin. this is available with 1964

No sound plugin = basically does wat it says, and causes games to hav no sound. the reason why u might use this is mainly to gain an xtra speed boost.

btw, all these plugins play mario64 :).

all emus are available at www.emu64.com and most plugins are too. a usefuly place for help is www.smiff.clara.net . it has everything else there that u might need to know.

Last edited:
OP
S

stupid_noob

after about 3 hours of me and 2 other friends searching for the mario rom we finally found one from a anglefire site. thanks to all you guys who helped me, its working fine now

StonedConker

stupid_noob said:
after about 3 hours of me and 2 other friends searching for the mario rom we finally found one from a anglefire site. thanks to all you guys who helped me, its working fine now

if you only want to play mario use ultraHLE emulator.it's fast with good sound and with the general settings so you'll not mess with plugins.Be sure to use a glide wrapper if you don't have 3dfx card.