What's new

Some worthwhile arcade emulation - Rave Racer

nudetothis

To stay within the rules here (I hope) I'll keep this short and vague:D

I've never been a big fan of arcade emulation and always preferred the console games. But this is worth the trouble....

on 8-18-02 a dump of Namco's Rave Racer, world version 1995, hit the web and an emulation newsgroup for "misc" files (hinthint). This is Namco's sequel to the Ridge Racer arcade series. It is a Namco System 22 game and so plays under Viva Nonno. There is a brand new version of Viva just released and updated to support this game.

It takes some fiddling around to get it working but it is a blast when you get it right. You might find some more info on other boards, etc. If you like RR64 then you should definitely try this out.

Here are a few screenshots:

raveracer.JPG

rave-half.jpg

rave1-4x-anti.jpg

sk8bloke22

roll for life
wow, Rave Race, thats like the forgotten Ridge Race game that was on the psx...i dont remember it on the arcade....

2fast4u

sk8bloke22 said:
wow, Rave Race, thats like the forgotten Ridge Race game that was on the psx...i dont remember it on the arcade....

imo the ridge racer game on psx sucked ... but i suddenly feel encouraged to actually try an arcade emulator ;)

bodie

actually rave racer was arcade only and as never been reproduced for the psx/ps2 or any other for that matter ..the psx game with similar title was rage racer ..rave racer was an excellent arcade game and if you have the right specs for the emulator then try it it's a blast..
i love all things namco ...along with sega they have produced the finest arcade/home entertainment available..looking forward to the super system 22 games (time crisis anyone..and not the inferior psx version) ...
viva nonno rocks as does all quality emulators :)

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
can your systems run this game with no texture reduction?
hehe... mine can.
the game eats up a wopping 400MB of ram with DXT1 compressed textures, and around 1GB+ of ram is required for 24-bit textures.

Stezo2k

S-2K
mine can 2 :p and i only got 128RAM, the game seems to be 30FPS full speed, is this right? cuz the sound is perfectly synced with the game and it doesnt slow down. gr8 emu :D

Stez

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
rave racer is supposed to run at a silky smooth 60fps.
this is system 22 were talking about, not some crappy PSX hardware. :D

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
30 fps seems like the right speed for this game. I guess that the fps counter shows the actual number of frames per second, rather than the d/l`s.

I didn't want to post but now I just can't resist!Are you serious?
The game's full speed is 60fps for God's sake!Have you ever played it in the arcades?At 30fps it's running at the half speed and it's slooow...I've tested it in 2 machines and I know the difference...Don't worry about the sound.The sound is the same either it runs at 60fps or 30fps or 20,it doesn't matter.It's the same thing as Killer Instinct 2 on U64emu...

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
64ultramaniac said:
I didn't want to post but now I just can't resist!Are you serious?
The game's full speed is 60fps for God's sake!Have you ever played it in the arcades?At 30fps it's running at the half speed and it's slooow...I've tested it in 2 machines and I know the difference...Don't worry about the sound.The sound is the same either it runs at 60fps or 30fps or 20,it doesn't matter.It's the same thing as Killer Instinct 2 on U64emu...
Dunno, never played the game at the arcades. But it seems to lock at 30 fps, and won`t move higher or lower. And the sound staying the same at 30fps 60 fps, well, that`s just weird, because it also feels synced.

Stezo2k

S-2K
your totally right m8 it seems exactly the same for me, what are your specs dude? and i think 64ultramaniac answer was just oppinion and not a fact

Stez

Trotterwatch

It runs at a constant 60fps for me - though I run it at either:

1/2 or 1/4 detail and DXT1 textures - I tried the other one, but it takes too long to load.

DuDe

Emu64 Staff
My PC is crappy :D Nuff said ;) I`m currently on a P3 500 mhz with 448mb ram and the same card that you have. Technically, you`re suppose to get higher framerates than mine.
Again, I have no idea about what speed is this game suppose to be, since I never tried it on a higher spec PC, nor have I ever played this game in the arcades.

Stezo2k said:
and i think 64ultramaniac answer was just oppinion and not a fact
grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...
I really don't know what else to say...See that's why I don't want to post here...shame really...

Last edited:

Stezo2k

S-2K
yea must be my comp then.. its strange that its 30.0 FPS exactly tho i'm sure its been limited to 30 FPS any idea how to take off the limit/change it? i dont think lookin at an arcade game u can judge how many FPS its going at, but its mostly 60 for most arcade games sorry for doubting you 64ultramaniac

Stez

Stalkid64

Citizen(sixty)four
Hmm... well worth the hunt. It flat out refuses to run slower than 60-90fps on my PC... 99fps is still the average count with all the options configured. Heh ;) The normal run speed of Rave Racer at least was as far as I can find 60fps in interlaced... just to confuse matters it probably depends on which version of the PCB was in the machine.
This is a pretty good emu` as well... as long as you don`t try changing options without a game running (stoopid runtime errors). Configuring the analogue stick on an N64 pad to work with it kicks ass - especially using TV-out to play it on a big TV.
My great respect to all behind Vivanonno.

sk8bloke22

roll for life
bodie said:
actually rave racer was arcade only and as never been reproduced for the psx/ps2 or any other for that matter ..the psx game with similar title was rage racer ..rave racer was an excellent arcade game and if you have the right specs for the emulator then try it it's a blast..
i love all things namco ...along with sega they have produced the finest arcade/home entertainment available..looking forward to the super system 22 games (time crisis anyone..and not the inferior psx version) ...
viva nonno rocks as does all quality emulators :)

yeh that was it, rage racer! ok, i sorta remember rave racer....sorta, damn i tihnk im gonna hav to download that thingy-m-jig