What's new

Dreamcast Keeps Switchin off :'(

Stezo2k

S-2K
hi ppl.
i'm having a really annoying problem with my dreamcast. I have been playing my dreamcast quite a lot recently (i had code veronica for ages but hardly ever played it) and now ive started to play code veronica, cuz im not stuck on it anymore, and less scared due to my growth in maturity (im nearly 17 now). I have got to disc 2 and recently my dreamcast seems to restart 5minutes after loading up the game, very annoying. It also seems to happen quite a lot with other games & emus like dreamsnes.

I opened up my dreamcast to find out what the prob was (i thought it might be ventilation) and i couldnt see anything wrong. I turned it back on and it seems to be working ok for now, but i feel its going to come back eventually.

Anyone know what the prob is or how to fix it so it doesnt come back

Thanx in advance

Stezo

Reznor007

I forget...does DC use a large external power pack(like NES or SNES), or just a regular AC cable that connects to the system?

If it's an external, it may be that it is going bad. A similar thing happens with arcade games. Their power supply box wears out, and the game randomly resets.

Also check that the fan(or water cooling system for some models) is working properly and nothing is blocking air flow.

Josep

eyerun4phun
your probably going to have to replace the power supply, or the mainboard, most likely the power supply, yes its internal, you can buy it from websites and then install it your self:)

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
Reznor007 said:
Also check that the fan(or water cooling system for some models) is working properly and nothing is blocking air flow.

i cleaned out the fan, but it wasnt very dirtry at all, and nothing was blocking the fan. Cleaning It seems to have fixed the prob, it hasnt restarted at all for hours. Thanx! :D

Time for another game of resi! :)

Stez

icepir8

On systems where heat is a problem some of the solder connections become bad. If you are confident in using a soldering iron you can resolder the connections. The power connections are the most likely to go bad. Also the power cord can be the problem. Systems with external power supplies the wire going to the system gets stressed at where it plugs into the system. You may be able to replace the connector. On systems with internal power supplies, it is usually a electrolytic cap goes bad or the voltage regulator chip. Take it to a repair shop. If it is one of these things you can usually cause the system to act up but gently tapping the case or the power supply/power cord. If it is a heat problem within the system, You will see that it happens more often/sooner when it is hot in the room you are playing in.

This is my experience from working on consoles and computers for nearly 20 years.

ElGatoAzul

There are a lot of DC suffering this problem ( i see a lot of post like yours in other forums):
Two of the most "popular" causes of this are:
1.- there are about 5 or 6 pins that conect to the power supply, maybe there are oxidized: try to clean them with a knife and/or anti-oxidant.
2.- Dust: Opening your console and cleaining it can solve your problem.... (maybe your problem?)

Other people solve the problem unpluggin the modem...

I hope this was useful for you...
..and excuse my poor english....XD

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
wow im suprised all the help im gettin a BIG thank you to ElGatoAzul & Icepir I'll clean the pins that connect to the power supply hopefully it will prevent the problem in the future

Thanx to everyone thats helped,
much apprieciated

Stez

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
i thought that cleaning out the fan fixed it but it still hasnt. the game got slightly further but after about 10 min it restarted again :( ill try cleaning out the pins like gato said.... ill let ya kno if it goes ok

Stez

Josep

eyerun4phun
either that or the power supply inside the dc is jacked up;) and of course there are people that are going help! dc is the best;)

blizz

I found that problem with my copy of Soul Reaver, is the disc scratched? because I found that a scratched disc made the game unplayable when the disc got hot.

OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
yep the disc has one 1cm scratch in the middle of it. I noticed quite a lot of dust on the other side of the fan. I got the hoover pipe out and got most of the dust out of the fan and the dreamcast and it seems to be working ok, my dc has been on for hours now and it seems ok. thanx for the help ppl

Stez

thecraft

Alice in Chains Fan
Yea, this happened to my N64, I had a carbon dioxide sprayer and wiped out all the dust. And when Music CD Gets too hot, most players just stop. Incase it returns, it clould be with the lens. Clean the lens with a slighty damp Q-tip, and/or leave the lid open for 20 minutes to get rid of condensation on the lens (From moving from a cold area to a warm one or vice versa).

Last edited:

Josep

eyerun4phun
thecraft said:
Yea, this happened to my N64, I had a carbon dioxide sprayer and wiped out all the dust. And when Music CD Gets too hot, most players just stop. Incase it returns, it clould be with the lens. Clean the lens with a slighty damp Q-tip, and/or leave the lid open for 20 minutes to get rid of condensation on the lens (From moving from a cold area to a warm one or vice versa).

just make sure there isn't rubbing alchol on the tip of that q-tip!!!;) and might not want to do that at all now that i think about it...;) the whole q-tip thing, just don't touch the lens;)

thecraft

Alice in Chains Fan
Cotton Swab. Anyhoo, I got that lens cleaning tip from the Manual with my CD Player :)

BTW: I forgot, I think use have to use a weak soap and water solution with the Q-Tip. Better yet, don't do it :)

Last edited:
OP
Stezo2k

Stezo2k

S-2K
ok thanx :) better that i dont do it, u kno what they say, if it aint broken, dont fix it. Well hopefully i wont have anymore dc probs

thanx again

Stez