What's new

Please help a newbie

bronxkid

I download project 64 1.5b but I don't understand the different plugins. I don't know what open gl, etc means. I only have what the software came with. Are plugins specific for each emulator? Other than what it comes with, what should I get and where (I hope you are allowed to post links to plugins)? THe software automatically tells me why certain roms aren't working:
1)mario tennis: plugin issue (normal blending:shadows).
In the game, there are big black boxes on the screen. Mario golf also has graphics issues
2) rogue squadron: graphics unsupported Using F3DEX 1.xx
Rom won't even load.
3)wwf mercy: plugin: /menus
Menus are blank screen. I can manage to get to the game.
4)world championship driving: needs video plugin? uCOde not supported Game won't load
5) nba courtside: unknown. Game won't load.

There are others but I didn't want to create a huge list. I was hoping you guys could help me fix these problems since you're the experts. When I get new plugins, how do I activate them in this software? Thanks. Not sure if this matters but my video card is a geforce 2 gts and audio is a sound blaster live. I'm using win2000.

Last edited:

Teamz

J'aime tes seins
OK;

OpenGL, Direct3d, Glide, either one or two of these APIs are supported by your video card, you gotta take a look yourself or post the name of your video card. A video plugin only supports one of these 3 APIs.

so you need a video plugin to output video, sound plugin to generate sound, a controller plugin to use a keyboard or whatever. go to www.emulation64.com to download one of these plugins.

for specific game help, use the search button, btw some of those games are not completely supported

OP
B

bronxkid

Thanks. So far I installed a file daedalusd3d8-rel2.zip, PJ64 RDB, jabonvidiaopengl073.zip (since I have an nvidia geforce 2). Are they automatically detected? When I go to configure plugin and choose rendering device only the same three are there: DIrect 3d hal, direct 3d t&l and hal, and rgb emulation. How do I choose open gl? Do settings like fog, texture filtering, etc make a difference? Nothing has changed in terms of the roms working better. I'll try doing a search for help on specific games. If anyone knows off the top of their head what I can do, it would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit: sorry, when i go to settings -> plugins I only see jabo's direct3d7 1.4 or direct3d6. Should the open GL.dll file provide a new option called open GL?

Last edited:

Allnatural

You switch plugins via the Options\Settings menu, under the "plugins" tab. Don't bother with Jabo's OpenGL plugin, it is quite old and not worth it. Stick with what is current. Jabo's D3D, Unofficial Daedalus D3D8, and for OGL you have TR64 and glNintendo64().

There is also Glide64 + a wrapper, but lets get the basics down first. :)

Allnatural

bronxkid said:
Edit: sorry, when i go to settings -> plugins I only see jabo's direct3d7 1.4 or direct3d6. Should the open GL.dll file provide a new option called open GL?
All plugins must go into the plugin directory.

I suggest you spend some quality time with all available help files. ;)

OP
B

bronxkid

The emulator comes with jabos direct3d7 so I have that. I got unofficial Daedalus D3D8 and unzipped it into plugin directory. I got TR64 and also unzipped the dll file it into plugins directory. Now I have a list of ucodes to choose. Is it a matter of choosing a combo of graphics and ucodes for each rom until i get a combo that works? Thanks for helping me.

Last edited:

Allnatural

All plugins, with the exception of TR64, will autodetect the uCode. I recommend you stick with Jabo's plugin for the time being, it still has arguably the highest compatibility. Use the Daedalus and TR64 plugins as the need arises.

OP
B

bronxkid

DOOOH!!!!! I can't get anything to work anymore. I keep getting error messages that crash the emulator. I'm going to delete everything and reinstall the software with only jabo's plugin. At least I was getting many roms to work before. I guess I shouldn't be so greedy to hope they'll all work. Thanks.

Last edited:
L

Lachp30

Orginise plugins in folders, and if you don't know what your doing, try not to stuff around with the settings. I know a little bit, but take it from me, i stuffed around and i had to re-install p64.