What's new

1964 Newbies, read this before asking simple questions!

Rice

Emulator Developer
Please read README file and view online help page before asking dummy questions!

Hello, Newbies

When you download 1964 package, a README file is in it. Read it and it will answer many of your questions.

1964 online help page is also very useful and you should read it first before post your question in the forum.

Smiff's N64 emu help page has a lot of help information, take look both the 1964 section and PJ64 section.

SonGokuDK

i read it:D ( the readme file )

but somehow it doesnt tell me how i can make my 1964 start.... i tryed EVERYTHING read hundreds of FAQ's and i still did not find an answer to MY question, HOW CAN I START A ROM?

i tryed thousands of plugins for 1964 and somehow when i play its even black screen, illegal operation after loading to 100%, game crashes after loading to 100% or illegal operation after pressing "OK" in the video plugin selection...

HELP ME PLEASE

Ps. MY COMPUTER IS NOT TOO SLOW

Pentium 3 850 MHZ
Nvidia Riva TNT 2
196mb SDRAM

sk8bloke22

roll for life
Newbie Setup Guide

ok this is what i would recommend for all u newbies:

1) Stuff U NEED to download

-: download either 1964.0.7.2 and the 1964.0.7.3 patch from www.1964emu.com (if u wanna try the new unofficial compile, go to www.ngemu.com and u should be able to find it ur self, but there a few issues, although compatibility in some areas is slightly better. trust though, u will be happy enuff when u get the official version working).

-: extract the files to a new folder. now u r still not ready , as u need to download some gfx plugins, as the 1964 one is still very much Work-In-Progress

-: i would recommend firstly visiting www.pj64.net and downloading the latest version of pj64 (also a very good emu). once uve extracted pj64 1.4 (the latest and final version of pj64), copy and paste 'Jabos Direct3d6.dll' and 'Jabos Direct3d7.dll' from the pj64 plugin folder to the 1964 plugin folder. its also worth copying and pasting N-Rages input plugin as well (Nrages Direct8 input.dll)

-: FOR VOODOO users...visit glide64.emuxhaven.com and download the latest glide64 plugin, as its the best solution for voodoo users, and compatibility is rising like a bitch with every new release.

2) Before setting up 1964

-: OK this should be obvious, but anyway, make sure uve got the latest drivers for ur gfx and sound cards. it DOES make a difference in some cases. and try and read the documentation if u dont know wat u are doing.

3) Setting and configuring 1964

-: OPen the 1964.exe and select the directory where u store ur roms (select File --> Change Folder --> select ur rom directory)

-: Now go to Plugins --> Setup Plugins

For Video: There's a dropdown menu and u should see a list containing the gfx plugins u copied and pasted from pj64's Plugins folder. As already advised, select Jabos Direct3d 1.4 (it can be either Direct3d6.dll or Direct3d7.dll, it doesnt really matter) or if u downloaded Glide64 (voodoo users) then select that.

For Sound: Bundled with 1964 are two audio plugins both by Azimar. For fast PCs with good sound cards definitely select Azimar's 0.4beta2 (although some games dont work with it, be warned, but the quality kicks arse). For slow PCs select Azimar's 0.30 (old driver) - be warned as far as I know this plugin wont work properly with Audigy sound cards.

For Input: Select Nrages plugin (which u copied and pasted from the pj64 plugin folder to the 1964 plugin folder). If its ur first time using Nrages plugin u will be asked to configure it. Im sure u guys can figure that out, otherwise refer to Nrages documentation supplied with pj64.

-: Ok, ur plugin setup should be finished. :)

4) Starting a rom, and other options

-: after u selected ur rom directory earlier u wil notice that all ur roms are listed in the 1964 window. to launch a rom just double click on it in the 1964 window.

-: If the rom is too fast u will need to set the limiter. Right click on the rom in the 1964 window before launching it, and the Rom Settings window will pop up. if u change something in the Rom Settings it will only affect that particular rom u right-clicked on.

-: at first i would leave most of these settings alone, u will understand them more u use 1964. u need to look at tow settings most importantly

Max VI Limit: This option will basically limit the rom to run at the same speed the game would on a real n64 depending which region its from. Its highly recommended to select NTSC for USA and JAP roms (ones with the extention (U) or (J)) and PAL for EURO roms (with the extention (E) ). This will make games that run too fast play the speed they were inteded to go at. Note: There are issues with Speed Limiter in 1964.0.8 compile, would advise the official release of 1964.

Counter Factor: This is a really important feature. If a game runs too slow for u, u can increase its CF (Counter Factor) to increase its speed. this setting really depends on the game, and on ur pc specs, but generally I wouldnt advise setting above CF6 as CF7 and CF8 are very buggy. otherwise feel free to experiment.

mametchi

I did the N-rage input config thingy

But I didnt see any config. for the 4 N64 controller C buttons:bunny:

Last edited:

MysticHLE

The possible single problem...

It might be the sound plugin. 1964 is known to have some issues with sound emulation. Do not use Jabo's sound plugin with 1964. Use Azimer's or whatever...Then it should be fine. The freezing/black screen happened to me while I was attempting upon using the emulator with Jabo's Direct Sound plugin.