What's new

is there a future for emu?

Status
Not open for further replies.

trippplet1

Emulation, as we know it has topped the charts. Thousands upon thousands people have been turned into happy campers(im one of them).
My question is: is there a future for emu? A lot of people think that once you hit your peek, its all downhill from there. For now, emu is still hanging in there, but will we ever see our jaws drop like we did when ultraHLE came out? Of course there will be updates to perfect the games and emulators we use now, but what happens when there isnt any thing else to do?
So basically im saying: is emu a dying race or is there still a tank of gas left in it?

:sly:

2bzy4ne1

Mmmmm....Beeeeerrrr
Emus will never die if we have a community this big.:D
:pj64: :nemu: :apollo: :tr64: :daedalus: :1964:

tooie

as long as there is new consoles coming out then emulation will not likely die, if you some day see a little box that is used for the home PC and all gaming and that is the only box .. then yes emulation will be dead. The only way I see that happening is if microsoft truely has a complete monoply. Will you ever see your jaw drop again .. who knows, not likely with n64 emulation, but what about sometime down the track when you have game cube, or the PS2 .. I am sure pj64 could drop the jaws on lots of people who have never seen emulation yet :p

Doomulation

?????????????????????????
the emulation scene for n64 is faaaaaaaaaaaaar from dead right now. many new plugins has come out, which are better than ever. it made us drop our jaws. ;)

so, no! emulation is not dying!

RPGlover12

its not most likely dyin for the n64 and other old consoles but for the new systems like ps2 gamecube and many othes aren't gonna be emulated soon we need about 5 more years to get it to work perfect or maybe less but we need a miracle to make ps2 games work cause still we can't emulate dreamcast games so i think its dyin only for next gen consoles

Rocketman_mab

The biggest problem that emulation is facing is that of the consoles going to discs instead of carts. The discs make the games files HUGE. Cart console emulators are still being worked on to make them compatible with all of the games.ie proj64. And until it has achieved this it will be alive and well. However, I can't see it to continue to thrive until it is common to be able to find PSX,PS2,and Gamecube games available for easy download.

Imagine this: :inlove: You just downloaded the latest Gamecube emulator and then downloaded your favorite game at 50MB/s from a file sharing program. You now have 20 Gamecube games on your 300gig hard drive. You then play the game on your 20 GHz system with 10gig of RAM and the latest 1gig video card.

The problem it's all running on your Windows 2020 OS.

If Pj64 keeps us busy til then we can count on it staying strong, but if we find ourselves with a perfect n64 emulator and waiting for the ability to play disc oriented games, then we can count on a gap of time where emulation is at a low point.

Allnatural

Rocketman_mab said:
The biggest problem that emulation is facing is that of the consoles going to discs instead of carts. The discs make the games files HUGE. Cart console emulators are still being worked on to make them compatible with all of the games.ie proj64. And until it has achieved this it will be alive and well. However, I can't see it to continue to thrive until it is common to be able to find PSX,PS2,and Gamecube games available for easy download.
I don't see this being a problem. PSX emulation is very strong right now. If you ask me, I think emulation of the cart based systems is the problem because it has a warez nature to it.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
i think the problem will be the complexity of the systems... making an n64 emulator is really f**king hard... no way would i want anything to do with a GameCube emu project.... f**k that lol :p

OP
T

trippplet1

is there any way to compress and squeeze those large files to maybe, i say 250 to 300mb? id go for that

LD.

*poke*
Depends on how much data is on the disc really. A few Dreamcast ISO's can go as low as 20-50 Mb, while others are more like 300-400Mb.

Besides, when games come on discs, you can just buy them. There won't be any problems with bad dumps and all that stuff ;)

ra5555

N64 Newbie
LD. said:
Depends on how much data is on the disc really. A few Dreamcast ISO's can go as low as 20-50 Mb, while others are more like 300-400Mb.

Besides, when games come on discs, you can just buy them. There won't be any problems with bad dumps and all that stuff ;)

But people using emu normally are poor gamers who can't afford to buy everygame commercially. Like N64 emus were :D

So I still would think that not many people want to pay 40 bucks to buy a console game and play on their computer with slowdowns and not so perfect emulation.

Thus I think faster downloading is essencial for emu's growth and with the still increasing speed of the internet I see that emu's still have very long lives yet.

Smiff

Emutalk Member
what is "emu's growth"? How much warezing is going on has nothing to do with rate of emu dev.. except perhaps large games could reduce amount of spam in authors' mailboxes

Rocketman_mab

LD. said:

Besides, when games come on discs, you can just buy them.
:D :D :D :D :D :D :happy: :happy: :happy: :D :D :D :happy: :happy: :happy: :D
That's a good one.
I don't mean to make fun, but I would have to say that not having to buy the games is the reason why 99% of us are members to this little forum.

zero0w

Maverick Hunter
Until we see some sort of a working Dreamcast emulator, I think the future of console emulation won't be as 'exciting' nor 'progressive' as we do see now. I am impressed what N64 emulation has achieved so far, but the architecture(s) of future console hardware are way too more complicated to be emulated.... and also proprietary chipset (which no documentation available in public/internet) will be developed to combat emulation - if anything such as 'the great timing release of UltraHLE' should ever happen again :blush: .

Grant64

DC Emu Fanatic
I feel the problem arises not necessarily because of the fact that gemes are on discs, the PSX and Saturn can be emulated, hell on DVD rom drives the PS2 can be emulated but it is when you start going down the route of Dreamcast GD-ROMS that are unreadable by PC and GC funny little discs that promotes the problem.

blizz

Grant64 said:
I feel the problem arises not necessarily because of the fact that gemes are on discs, the PSX and Saturn can be emulated, hell on DVD rom drives the PS2 can be emulated but it is when you start going down the route of Dreamcast GD-ROMS that are unreadable by PC and GC funny little discs that promotes the problem.

it doesn't matter what the media is, if we can gain access to hardware which can be used to "dump/rip" a binary image then the PC can be emulated

emulation is cyclical, emu authors come and go, and normally they all appear at one point, and then disappear after a while, only for a new system to be emulated and the saga repeats itself

you lot all sound like the emu scene was just before UltraHLE came out :devil:

OP
T

trippplet1

Smiff said:
i think the problem will be the complexity of the systems... making an n64 emulator is really f**king hard... no way would i want anything to do with a GameCube emu project.... f**k that lol :p

Most of time, the people who make these emulators take a lot of time out of there lives to do the work. What gets me is they do it mostly for free. Maybe if the emu community had a fundraiser, the makers of the emulators wont bail out so often? heck. id give a little change to play FFX on my pc, especially when you pay 50 bucks for a game and your little evil brother scratches up your cd:)devil:

Xzyx987X

I don't see why everyone seems so convinced that emulating next gen systems is so much more complex than the older ones. I mean if it was, shouldn't we have a perfect sega saturn emu by now? Oh, and no offense to the authors of pj64, but I'm still not entirely happy with how it turned out. There are still many issues with the gfx that you never worked out. I suppose that can be left to the 3rd party plugin developers, but I think you guys should have done it yourself since it's your emu. Just my opinion. Anyway compared to systems like those the Dreamcast isn't that hard to emulate, and the xbox is even easier (if you can even call that emulation.) The gamecube is a bit more difficult from what I've seen, but the annonymous emu authors seem to be doing ok with it... And I'm sure the ps2 is really difficult to emulate given it's complex hardware. Honestly, I'm extremly suprised to see ps2 emulation progressing as fast as it is, I guess it's because the system is so popular or something. Anyway I think based on the progress I've seen so far in the emulation of these new systems, next gen emulation has a bright future ahead of it. On a side note, I'd like to appologize to the emulation community for my decision not to release my dreamcast emu to the public. What, you've never heard of it or me? Well it's not suprising considering I've only been working on it for about a month now. I've barely even written a little bit of the SH-4 emulator, let alone the PowerVR graphics chipset. In other words, ur not missing that much right now, but just in case something does become of my little project it's still not gonna get realeased. Maybe I will release some screens of it sometime or something. Lol, and you know I'm telling the truth about this because if I was lying I would probobly be claiming to have the dreamcast emulated at 60fps on a 500mhz pc :), rather than claiming to have a small piece of code that doesn't really do anything yet:getlost:...

scotty

The Great One
Emulation will never die. I really think that there is a valid point, many emu authors are working on other projects, and leaving the scene.

N64 emulation is slowly being less-looked at for developing, is more of PSX, PS2 Xbox, and Gamecube being developed.

N64 is almost finished, I really think that 1964 is going to be almost perfect (its still not released). Really Mupen64 and Nemu64 are the emulators that are still going 1964 is almost discontinued, PJ64 is dicontinued.

(yes this is somewhat off-topic) Snes emulation is pretty much dead, since there is only one real emulation team, and they work on ZSNES and Snes9x, I think they need another coder in the scene, they need some competition I think.
Nes emulation is still slowly dying, things are pretty much finished in that emulation, its just a mater of a few tweaks in some common games.

Status
Not open for further replies.