What's new

Download speed

Stezo2k

S-2K
yea i kno now dude :) thanx for ur info. it must be the prog thats the prob.. tellin me i got a fast speed when its realy 7kbs or something

Stez

Raziel3030

i know it like stupid like that but...

i don't know the "name" for my connecting type lol
someone can help my find it? my fast donwload rate was about 130kb/sec but i don't know my upload rate (how can i find it?)
my modem is a dsl speedstream but dsl are most faster no?

and mike9010 connection must be a T3 (my school is on T1 and do about half of that so he is on a T3 or something similar) well I think lol

lappen

I have blazing 30kb/s now :p (0.5mbit cable)

Will upgrade to 26Mbit or 100Mbit in a couple of months, depends if the apartment im moving to have fiber or not

jessman1988

Banned
ha ha ha! Guess what? I download at 80 killa a sec on my 56k. Not all the time, but it ACTUALLY goes that high. I can't explain it, and I know that no one believes me, but I know that I'm right!

Martin

Administrator
jessman1988 said:
ha ha ha! Guess what? I download at 80 killa a sec on my 56k. Not all the time, but it ACTUALLY goes that high. I can't explain it, and I know that no one believes me, but I know that I'm right!
You're led to believe that by Windows, but it's impossible.

The reason it looks like it's downloading that fast is that sometimes it takes a while for Windows to understand it's downloading. While the download has already started and you might have downloaded 50 kB, Windows thinks "hey, something is being downloaded, I better display a window of the download process. Hey, he's already downloaded 50 kB, let's try to catch up with him!".

So the first few seconds it displays 80 kB/s, but then it gradually slows down to your top speed of an amazing 7 kB/s (if lucky, since that's your theoretical top speed).

ScottJC

At your service, dood!
I use dail up for 3 years and never once it went past 5kb/s.

I agree with what martin said entirely, it also does that if you start an unfinished download quickly in IE, (yes IE can resume stuff, but it does it poorly and only works if you do it a few minutes after a download dies).

Another thing that could fool you is compression, Dial up modems and in fact all the internet can send out data compressed as far as I know, I downloaded some file once on dial up and it was going at blazing speed, yeah, it was,

HOWEVER, that was only because the data I recieved was compressed, much like a text file, notice when you download a text file on dial up it is going faster than your connection can go? Compression baby.

I'd test my connection now but I am busy downloading something.

Now, I can go 100kb/s with my current connection, and that is constant. beats any 80kb/s ;)

Last edited:

Remote

hey, we win :p and by we I mean sweden of course =)

I have access to a 100mbit line but not 24/7 unf :/

and stezo, I still have dialup at home when dsl doesn't work and 56k with v90 doesn't go much faster then 6kb/s mostly... if ever. :p

Windmaster

EmuTalk Ninja
It's not the fastest it can go, i can go over 3200kbps which is 400kb/sec, but not steady, my usual steady speed is 315kb/sec,

Jakob

evil *******
heh, with regard to the now banned jessman's speed, v.92 compression can make short work of a file filled with 0's, as well as anything else that compresses really well with simple algorithms, like plain text