What's new

why didn't it sell

:cry: why did nobody buy my beloved console? so many life changing games... such happy days :inlove: but the fools :plain2: they just didn't see the light beyond the evil playstation :eek: damn them all!:sly:

2fast4u

yeah, yeah ... we all sometimes look back and think "why the hell did it happen that way?" ... but u cant do anything (thats y i hate looking back) ... erm, cute post btw ;)

BladeX

2fast4u - I totally agree with you -Games like NiGHTS, Saturn Bomberman, Fighters Megamix, Sonic R were all amazing - It is the same with the Dreamcast. People would say to me DC is Crap and then they would ACTUALLY PLAY ONE at my house whilst saying - This is well good!!!
I cannot wait for the next release of Satourne as it looks great. Fabian has done a good job but am I right in beleiving he doesn't like releases??? And really hope CyRUS continues his DC emu!!! As that would be something special. Is there anywhere I can get a progress report on Icarus???

flow``

flow``
read atani software's "saturn history"

the link is in saturnshack's link page

damn interesting story :))

OP
sytaylor
blade i know what you mean about people playing it and saying "damn its good" then days later slating it... if the saturn was marketed it would have sold... if the saturn was marketed BETTER it should have sold

sk8bloke22

roll for life
the problem was that the games only appealed to the hardcore gaming market. with sony marketing the psx like a bitch and with the success of the whole '3d' thing, normal, non-hardcore gamers were into buying games (even more so than with the snes and megadrive). so sega's audience was much more limited. they lacked the vast amount of EA sports games, crappy platformers, etc...and was much better geared to 2d than 3d (as far as i know, tbh, i could be wrong there, lol). whereas the ps2 was shit at handling 2d games, but was better with 3d games.

Nokturne

Don't know about that... Saturn just didn't have ANY uber-caliber games per se. You don't have to compare it to PS, there just was never enough selection to make the system matter.

Don't take that as me hating the ill-fated system, i loved the thing, but then again, only the late life death-bed games i really liked...

OP
sytaylor
uber-caliber?! did you ever play panzer dragoon saga? my god NiGHTS was a genre buster and an absolute joy to play... the playstation had nothing like that in the sense of pure fun... lets not forget tomb raider was origionally developed for the saturn... and just to rub peoples faces in it the saturn had the better versions of quake or duke3d available on ANY console... not bad for something that "couldn't do 3d"... if you actually got into it it could, meh

Nokturne

I wouldn't call Panzer Saga a huge game for the very simple reason that it was and is in extremely (repeat extremely) limited release. Kind of hard to call a game only a thousand people could've played a system seller. Plus it was one of those that came out after the announcement of Saturn's eventual US death. Although that was the ONLY superb near-perfect game saturn ever had. The other Panzer's were of the same high quality too, but uh, you must remember shooters aren't exactly everyone's cup-o-tea.

Nights, i can't even call that a game, more of a demo for the analog controller. And if you want to whine about that statement, ignore that, and remember it came out about the same time as Mario 64, totally overshadowing the mimic'ing 3d Nights.

Like i said, there were no big system selling games for the mainstream audience (or really any audience) until the thing started to die.

And if you want to call me retarded for that ;) I don't care.
Take my number 2 reason for Saturn's death.... ZERO ADVERTISING for the system (until once again, its eventual death, in which they finally started advertising only too late). You'd of been surprised how many mild-gamers back then never even heard of the system.

OP
sytaylor
meh, NiGHTS owned mario for sheer addictivness, it was a far higher skilled game... and what about sega rally, imho STILL the most addictive driving game out there, even its sequel didnt get close to it! and virtua fighter 2... until the rescent release of vf4 the most technical and down right brilliant fighting game out there... tekken my arse! ever heard of steep slope sliders? brill game, hardly anyone ever played it, the virtua cop series, far better than time crisis, house of the dead... Sonic R,the list goes on.. i had about 40 games at one point and id say i regularly played about 20 of them

Nokturne

Now now, i wasn't tryin to be mean :) And i wasn't trying to say it really was a bad system full of bad games... only the cd-i can have that description. Just sayin what everyone knows, the system was too low profile and "hardcore" to make it in the money hungry world.

I could name lovable games i like all day too :). Of course, most of them would be imports, as America never even got the bests of the bests (particularly my favorite console game ever in Castlevania: SotN, though the PSX version was superior anyways despite not having the "bonus" stuff)

OP
sytaylor
yeah but street fighter games ruled with the 6 button pad :p

/me hugs the saturn pad (second version)

B*A*G*G

Emutalk Member... sorta
perfect ports of capcom's cps2 arcades was a godsend IMO. (zero loading times, 100% frames of animation, 0% slowdown, and a kickass joypad to play these awsome games with.)
it was hilarious watching the PSX even try to compete with its lack of ram and shity loading times.
and cps2 emulation was far from reality at the time.

the only problem is that most americans were way to ignorant to enjoy these wonderful arcade games and thus capcom decided not to release them here in the US.

DeadRabbit

Emutalk Janitor
Sy,

Seeing that you're in England aswell.

Have you tried looking in your local cash-converter stores.

I took a trip to two of them in the towns around here, and there were at least 50 games for the Saturn in them (no console though :( , ranging from around £2.50 up to £5 a game, and they've been in there for at least 2 months now.

I'm assuming that theres a good chance there would be some in your local one too.

I'm thinking of popping down there and buying as many as possible, seeing that Saturn emulation really looks bright at the moment.

:)

OP
sytaylor
DeadRabbit said:
Sy,

Seeing that you're in England aswell.

Have you tried looking in your local cash-converter stores.

I took a trip to two of them in the towns around here, and there were at least 50 games for the Saturn in them (no console though :( , ranging from around £2.50 up to £5 a game, and they've been in there for at least 2 months now.

I'm assuming that theres a good chance there would be some in your local one too.

I'm thinking of popping down there and buying as many as possible, seeing that Saturn emulation really looks bright at the moment.

:)

yeah they have games everywhere cheap, its getting a saturn with the jap style pad and a scart connector thats impossible (hey im pciky ;))

fivefeet8

-= Clark Kent -X- =-
The saturn was the 2d games king for it's time.. The 4meg ram cart really had some great capcom and snk fighting games.. :)

Two words.........Radiant Silvergun.. Saturn imports were awesome.. I still have most of my old saturn games and I am very excited about playing all of them on saturn emulators..

The saturn didn't have as many games as the psx, but it had better games IMO.. The only games I really liked on the psx was square rpgs, Gran Tourismo 1 and 2, MGS, and Resident Evil 2.. Most other psx games weren't very interesting to me..

On the other hand, my list of SAturn games I'd play all the time is a lot more than that..

SFA3(4meg ram cart)
SFa1
xmen vs sf(4meg ram cart)
Msh vs SF(4meg ram cart)
KOF 95 -97
radiant Silvergun
Panzer Dragoon series
Virtua Fighters
Nights
Silhouette Mirage
Gardian Heroes
Astal