What's new

Slowdown when online - Does this make sense?

nudetothis

It doesn't make much sense that this is happening but it does .. I am still stuck with dialup (cable is finally coming later this summer), and whenever I'm online I experience some slowdown and sound chittering during gameplay for a couple "high system requirement" games, for example Perfect Dark and the patched version of Jet Force Gemini (f1). Most games still play 100% while online, and this isn't an urgent problem of course. But I'm curious about the likely cause and what I can do.

Here's my specs.. Epox 8KHA+ (using onboard audio)
Athlon XP1700+
512mb Kingston PC2100 DDR
PNY GeF 4 Ti4400
Maxtor 60GB Quiet Drive 7200rpm
etc. etc.

Other relevant consideration (?) - if I'm online, then WinMX is running. I'm always downloading SOMETHING. Also, I am running PJ64 with frame limiter ON and audio sync OFF, but reversing these settings doesn't change the problem when its happening. I have the latest RDB. I am running PJ64 ver. 1.4 because like many others I had big slowdowns with ver 1.5 beta.

My system's handling of these few games is acceptable to perfect if I run PJ64 only and nothing else. It's only when running other apps that there's any effect, and only for a few games. As I said, all other games are not affected by the running of other apps or being online. So, anyway, other than just playing these particular games only when I can devote the PC 100% to playing them, what is my best bet to boost my PC so it doesn't "blink?"

1. trash onboard audio and get a soundcard?

2. Another 512mb ram?

3. other?

Any help appreciated.....thx.:pj64:

OP
nudetothis

nudetothis

don't think so ... std 56k v90 jobbie from circuit city. Plug-n-play. I only bought it so we'd have internet access for the few months left before we switch to broadband. I built this computer in March and at that time the cable was supposed to be available by June 1st. That date got pushed back, so I had to get the modem. Have a Linksys 10/100 card waiting to go. Why would the type of modem matter? Edumucate me.

Guesses and speculation welcome.

Allnatural

Winmodems use the CPU. In other words, they're actually software-based. Internal modems are almost always winmodems.

OP
nudetothis

nudetothis

Ahhh... got it. No, it's on a PCI slot. That's why i'm curious about the onboard audio though - I've heard that audio and video decompression can take a big chunk of CPU, but I also posted a thread here once about whether my onboard audio should affect my PJ64 performance given my specs and the replies were "not likely."

Even if replacing my onboard audio with a Turtle Beach and bumping my ram doesn't alleviate this problem, I'll still be happier with my PC if I do. And, even if either one of these fixes did fix the problem, that's a pretty expensive fix for just making two or three games playable while multitasking when they already play ok when PJ64 is the only app running.

I just hate to have my PC tell me "wait up," no matter what the circumstances. I'm sure you all understand.;)

RadeonUser

Most PCI modems are Winmodems... If you look at the requirements, and it says something along the lines of "For Windows Only" then it's a winmodem... Usually, winmodems are cheap, very cheap... They tend to cost roughly $20 USD where I live... The modem I have (don't use it anymore... on cable now) is one that costs ~$100 USD... Sure, expensive, but... there's very little problems with it.

If it is a winmodem, then, yes... It's probably eating up resources like there's no tomorrow, which is why you're having a sluggish experience. About the on-board sound... It may as well be using up cpu resources... It really depends on what type it is... Some on-board audio devices do indeed use the CPU extensively during sound playback... Since there are good, cheap, high quality sound cards now a days... It's a good idea to pick one up :) Just remember to disable the on-board one (your motherboard's manual should come with instructions on how to do that)

Always remember too, research ;) I don't care how much you know about computers / computer hardware / peripherals, there's still a good chance you'll be suckered into buying something that's a total waste of money ;)

OP
nudetothis

nudetothis

well, thanks guys. I didn't read the post from Allnatural close enough the first time. Chances are youre right - it's a winmodem. $20 at Circuit City and even with this situation I'm still glad I bought it instead of an external US Robotics for $$$. This dialup hell has got to stop soon, no point in investing heavily in it anymore. I've got router and firewall purchases to think about, you know.

I also agree it could never hurt to get the soundcard. I had always planned to, but I went ahead and built without it and was surprised with the results. But more than one person has told me it makes a surprising change for the better to get the Audigy (nah) or Turtle Beach (yeah). And yeah, I know how to disable the onboard audio plus the onboard gameport and midi port in bios. Thanks tho.

a3t

If i try to emulate whist im online and downloading larger files (modifyed DC++), i get really lousy fps (around 15fps)

So.. everytime my HDD is being used, project 64 slows down quite a bit!