What's new

P2P users - THIS is what you/we want

Eagle

aka Alshain
Morpheous, Gnucleus , Kaza, Grokester... I wouldn't contaminate my computer with that sorry ass programming shit. Your just asking to have to reinstall windows.

Martin

Administrator
No, not at all. I'm just saying that if you haven't convinced us already, you never will. :D

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Eagle said:
Morpheous, Gnucleus , Kaza, Grokester... I wouldn't contaminate my computer with that sorry ass programming shit. Your just asking to have to reinstall windows.

er is that a joke? Kazaa is a centralised network run by a company that's now moved to some island to avoid the law, trying to make money and escape being sued.... Gnucleus is an open source project being developed in a not entirely dissimilar way to something like Project64... Grokester i don't know anything about.. and Morpheus is a company that's ripped off Gnucleus and is trying to make money out of it with dubious use of the GPL.. now explain to me how all those apps can be filed under the same category Eagle?

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ahhh. I think i may have guessed where the heat in Eagle's post was coming from.. do you or did you have Win98? I wouldn't run one of these apps under Win9x, maintaining so many network connections is a classic example for where 9x falls down... blaming that on the apps is not fair is it.

Eagle

aka Alshain
I'm on XP now, and I have run them on XP installations before. Its not the application itself, its that...

1. Installing it makes it damn near impossible to get rid of.
2. People can easily hack through them and gain access to your computer.
3. After installing your computers crash rate increases 10 fold
4. Most of the stuff you find on them is junk or corrupted files or just plain not what they say they are. I downloaded "Nickelback - Just For" once and ended up with "When In Rome - The Promise". Don't get me wrong, its a good song but not what I wanted.

I'll take IRC over any dedicated P2P program. Its the install program that does the most damage to your system I think. PJ64 doesn't have an install program, so it can't be compared.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Eagle man i am determined to show you the light, cos i know you can be saved ;)

http://www.smiff.clara.net/utilities/general/Gnucleus.zip

Just download this, it contains one file: Gnucleus.exe (which BTW i have virus scanned). Unzip to a folder and run it. It will make one registry key: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Gnucleus. That's it. It will not do anything else outside it's own folder. Try it, please.

It will use one port, by default 6346, which you can change to anything you want and you don't even have to open to download, only if you want to let people behind firewalls upload. this is not a security risk, if anyone tries to connect on it they will get a gnutella connect msg and time out.

(I'm not recommending other people install it this way, just trying to prove a point!). :)

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
As long as I can find as much japanese music that I can find on WinMX it's good :D

hmm.. I thought Morpheus was a ripoff of Kazaa...

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Morpheus is a ripoff of Gnucleus, Morpheus used to be part of the Kazaa network until they fell out with Kazaa, now Morpheus uses the Gnutella network and Gnucleus source code (make sense?). Morpheus are scum and should rot in hell.

Tell me about your Japanese music Harteex.

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
I find a lot of japanese music on WinMX, haven't tried Gnucleus yet.
My favorite japanese music is Ayumi Hamasaki, Every Little Thing and Rina Aiuchi. But Ayumi is the best, I love her! :)

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
/me is listening right now, thanks to, you guessed it, Gnucleus. Guess i have to form an opinion now, uh-oh ;)

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
I recommend these Ayumi Hamasaki songs: Far Away, Free&Easy, Surreal.
But of course I like all songs hehe :)

Eagle

aka Alshain
If you want to watch something hillarious, download the video for "Tunak Tunak Tun", trust me you'll die laughing.

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
pj64er said:

well they do look identical...

smiff, how do you get the web to show?

Tools > Node Map. the fun really starts when you get made an UltraPeer :pj64: (er wrong sign but you get the idea).

pj64er

PJ64 Lubba
Smiff said:

Tools > Node Map. the fun really starts when you get made an UltraPeer :pj64: (er wrong sign but you get the idea).

err, ya someone tell martin to change the : cool : smily back to the old one, noones using the new one...

anywho, heres my node map... (very unimpressive)...ill see if i want to be ultrapeered, do you need high speed internet for it?

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah it's funny, sometimes it doesn't want to make you an ultrapeer, sometimes it does. depends on demand apparently (?). but you don't necessarily want to be one, it increases your bandwidth use a lot (though not alot, a lot, it's pretty reasonable... i had over 100 connections ealier and it was at only erm 25% capacity - whatever that means lol). but it also seems to increase your results a lot... haven't really played enough to be sure yet. of course, it matters where you get into the network, and that's pretty much pot luck with gnutella for most people. Staying online for a long time definately helps.

maybe i just got lucky before lol.