What's new

P2P users - THIS is what you/we want

Jabo

Emulator Developer
Eagle said:
If you want to watch something hillarious, download the video for "Tunak Tunak Tun", trust me you'll die laughing.

if i'm thinking of the same video you are definitely right, it's hilarious, the best part is that video was #1 on that country's charts at the time I downloaded it (well a friend showed me it)

;)

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
one of us is going to have to (it hurts to say this).. gonna have to.... FTFAQ :eek:

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
lol, looks like they could use a few more UltraPeers...

I looked at their FAQs before... they are shit...

Try posting in their forum and you might get a reply in some days ;)

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
crikey, this is complicated. to become an ultranode, you have to do all of the following (apparently):

- be running windows NT (2k, xp etc.)
- not be behind a firewall
- have a certain minimum bandwidth (i think ADSL-ish)
- be online for a certain amount of time (an hour? 2?)
- other nodes must be asking for an ultranode

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ah.. being behind a firwall per se is not a problem - you just must be able to take incoming connections. i have a port forwarded. if you don't have acess to the firewall this could well be a problem...

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
ok what i gather is that they are currently making major changes to gnucleus to reduce network management traffic (overhead - pings, pongs etc.) the upside is that this is working, and downside is that children (child nodes, that's most people) can't see very well, you have to trust the network. it's very important that your 3 ultrapeer connections are to good ultrapeers, for example i currently have 100 children which might be average i don't know, but i could have none or up to 400 (by default, and the max is 1500). What's tempting is to increase your number of connections, while that may help you get more results, you are actually reducing network density overall, so three is probably best. just disconnect any that don't seem to be doing much (you can look at statistics, but not sure how to interpret that yet). this is not easy for beginners to use, but what i find is that it suddenly starts working well. and my upload slots are always full so something is working right eh

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
yeah metadata is coming, it's not yet part of the spec or something, i use filesize quite succesfully. I actually like just having filename, i hate the way kazaa makes up its titles (which are often wrong!) and moves the filename off to the right.

wtf does this mean (the loopback)

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
hmm... strange.. when I'm an UltraPeer, it connects a number of normal users, local childs and ultrapeers. However after a short while it disconnects everyone, and have to connect again... and I have a port forwarded to it, people can download from me, so I dunno what's wrong...

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Harteex said:
hmm... strange.. when I'm an UltraPeer, it connects a number of normal users, local childs and ultrapeers. However after a short while it disconnects everyone, and have to connect again... and I have a port forwarded to it, people can download from me, so I dunno what's wrong...

lol i just posted about that, sometimes its stable for quite a while though.... the main thing is that you now have a port forwarded, good man! they should make this clearer in the setup so more people do it.. frustrating how many don't (i wasn't at first either, oopsie)

Harteex

Harteex das Brot
If they don't answer your message soon, I'll just post an answer so the thread comes to top :)
I also want to know...

I'm running a GWebCache now... :thumbsup:

OP
Smiff

Smiff

Emutalk Member
Josep said:
all i know is P2P sucks;) no really, it does

well that's just a stupid thing to say isn't it... Windows sucks because it crashes, cars suck because they pollute, food sucks because it can make you ill... P2P can be very effective in getting you the files you want and letting other people get the files they want from you... however it takes the right setup and the right attitude.. and gnutella and similar ideas have the advantage that they should always be around... they're worth understanding how to use IMHO.

Josep

eyerun4phun
and life isn't fair!:) Come on smiff, don't compare everything in the world, ever heard of Alternatives? Well understanding them and how they work is cool, but its a shit alternative;) just an opinion:blush:

skull1

im9i7
im behind a firewall and having a hardtime setting up the program. it would be great if someone here can teach how to set it up properly. what are things i need to know, what access rights to i need? also i can't use irc here if thats any help.