What's new

Getting OpenBOR emulator to run games on Raspberry Pie

Calypso

Newbie here. Hello all. I am trying to have a mame cabinet built for me as a bartop model. The issue is I really want some OpenBOR titles (which are primarily fanmade games) but the person I am working with is not familiar how to get the older games I want to run on rasberry pie. Has anyone successfully done this?
I particularly want all of the Fan made golden axe games on there.

Any help or direction would be appreciated.

Caly

OP
Calypso

Calypso

RetroPie has everything you need: https://retropie.org.uk/

Have fun!

Thanks.

But this doesn't quite work for my issue. We can get the emulator on there but when it comes to adding the games...they wont work. I know we are not supposed to ask for rom links etc. But I have used this site (I want all of the fan-made OpenBOR 'Golden Axe' titles) and cannot get them running.

Because OpenBOR games are still being made and updated, the Raspberry Pi 3 does not appear to support them. The OpenBOR emulator available for it is based on an older version. I can’t even get older games to work on it. There may be some way, but it’s over my head at this time. There may be a future update to the Pi that will make OpenBOR games more feasible, but at this moment, I can’t get them to work. Have you had them installed...or can you get these titles (linked below) to work on your raspberry pi?

gamesdatabase.org/list.aspx?system=openbor

Thanks again!

TRS

You can install Centos/Ubuntu/Debian on the Pi and run OpenBor from there. I don't know OpenBor myself so I don't know if there's a frontend from which you can select and start games with the controller, but you can always attach a wireless mouse/keyboard to the Pi.

OP
Calypso

Calypso

You can install Centos/Ubuntu/Debian on the Pi and run OpenBor from there. I don't know OpenBor myself so I don't know if there's a frontend from which you can select and start games with the controller, but you can always attach a wireless mouse/keyboard to the Pi.

Thanks for the heads up. I am not sure how those work. Any way to assist or youtube videos you recommend?

Also I think we wanted to be able to access the games via the front end. Any way to do this? Ideally this is going into a cabinet so access using joystick and buttons is key