Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

N64 Potential BK Revival?

Intro:
    Hi all,
    So a few years ago, right before completion, user Loulof Loulovski stopped working on his exceptional BK texture pack. At the time I commented on one of his videos if he wouldn't mind me finishing it if I could. He replied yes, and said that he also had some WIP Summer textures for CCW. I inboxed him my details and promptly forgot about it.

Skip forward a few years and I was messing around with emulators again and I remembered about finishing the texture pack.
    After going through the labyrinth to access my YT inbox and see if he ever replied, it appears he didn't, and he's deleted all his videos since then.

But, with full credit to him, since the game is so close to done I'm taking it on myself to finish it.
    Thankfully the last level is CCW so I can re-use a lot of textures but with some small colour/detail changes.
    I'm going to update this thread and keep every outdated post behind spoilers so people can go through it all and this can serve as like a progress diary.

June 23rd 2018 update:
    Summer Update!
    Sorry about the delay, I think I cursed myself and all that fun junk, injuring myself the Saturday after my last post and then again a week later, but I'm back with an update. 100% completed Summer, maybe it needs some minor tweaks, let me know.
    As far as I'm aware the entire level is done, with all textures placed in the same spot as Loulof's original Spring level, with added Summer specific textures.

Happy to take suggestions on how to improve them For example, I was thinking of making the thorns near Mumbo more dried out looking. I also added some extra textures. One is simply the red Honeycomb from the XBLA version, another is the default jigsaw transition from the XBLA game. I really appreciate Loulof's work but I prefer the original, and in that vein the game over transition has been added as well.
    The second bonus is a bit odd, see, I didn't like how the line between the water and ground looked where the textures interact where the pool begins in Spring. Refer to screenshots below.

As you can see on the left, the n64 seems to be grabbing from the middle of the texture, and while it looks great for an underwater bank, I thought I'd fill it with some gravel from the Mumbo base texture so that it isn't as jarring. Let me know if you think it's a good idea.

Anyway, installation is the usual:
    Just open the zip and drop the banjo-kazooie folder into the Plugin\GFX\hires_texture\ folder and overwrite where and when it asks.

- If you want the original jigsaw transition, just copy Transitions into your Plugin\GFX\hires_texture\banjo-kazooie and allow to over write
    - Same thing with the new pool textures, do the same but with the 27-12-12 folder, and again over write.

DOWNLOAD
    BK_Update1.7z

EDIT

So I really didn't enjoy how the top of the textures of the walls of the drained lake looked, with the water it's harder to notice the darkening towards the top, so I edited the lake textures so the colour at least, blends in with the grass under the trees. I may actually edit it further so the grass is zoomed in the same for both sets of textures. Also, there was an issue where black edges of all the petals on the flower were pretty conspicuous, so I edited the petal to be wider.

Archive:Summer_Update.7z

IMPORTANT
    ONLY DOWNLOAD THE UPDATE IF YOU HAVE ALREADY DOWNLOADED THE ORIGINAL SUMMER PACK, I HAVE RE-UPLOADED THE ORIGINAL WITH THE IMPROVED LAKE AND FLOWER TEXTURES, THIS IS JUST FOR THE COUPLE PEOPLE WHO ALREADY DLED IT!

Let me know if anyone has any issue, I tried to make it so that my file structure mimics the originals, down to the French folder names, so everything can be as simple and drag-and-drop as possible, I hope you all enjoy and please do let me know what you think.

Screenshots:

https://imgur.com/VXmzWIM

More? Former Posts:

Spoiler:

May 8th 2018 update:

Made a video showing how I'm going about merging/editing textures if anyone was interested. I've also finished Summer completely, bar 3 textures that need to be made for the interior of Gnawty's house. I've also changed the puzzle transition and witch head game over transition to the 360 versions, so I'm thinking about releasing seasons and other bits and pieces piecemeal, which should help with the pace of progress and updates.

So unless something horrendous happens, I should have Summer up within the week for people's perusal and feedback.

5th May 2018
    I've already completed 99% of the summer texture placement, literally just looking for spots I've missed and just need to colour change a few textures.
    Fall is at about 60% done placement wise, just doing the tree now and going back and cross-referencing with the Spring placement Loulov initially did to make sure the textures are 100% consistent across all seasons.
    Barely started winter, trying some textures from Freezeezy peak to get the snow/ground covering right.

Some pictures to show of comparisons of Spring and Summer, and just a note that after literally an hour of trying to figure it out, the bottom of the balcony out front of Nabnuts is the same texture, I think they may just rotate it between seasons.
    Last edited by Aethemix; July 5th, 2018 at 07:13.

Texture Pack Invader NES_player4LIFE's Avatar
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Seems like this project kicks up about once a year or so, hopefully it reaches completion this time.

-NES
    We are in the process of archiving all qualifying texture packs!
    Contact me via PM to have your N64 texture pack hosted on Emulation64.com!
    Having a hard time loading Large packs? Be sure to patch your emulator.
    Can't load .DAT or .HTC archives? Look no further then this shiny Tutorial, Android users may use this Tutorial.

Spoiler: