What's new

Demul is very slow

Yugi

That is very interesting. You have a much faster CPU than I, but we have the same card. Everything runs fullscreen for me accept some pauses here and there that I think is cache related. My internal resolution settings is at 2x by the way, but I get a lot of slow down if it is windowed instead of fullscreen, but that is another story.

Last edited:

Hydreigon

Is it not possible to improve it? :down:
Similar specs. My system runs Demul slow at all but instead caps the frames at 30fps as opposed to 60fps in any game than runs at 60fps. Idk what is the cause. Either an emulation timing bug or can't handle newer gpu hardware? Can't find anything regarding this bug.

i5 8600k, 16gb ram, ssd installed on windows in addition to an hdd, and a GTX 1070 Ti.

MetalliC

Demul developer
can you provide clearer explanation of "works slow" ? during which game emulation it happens and what (not default) settings was used ?

there is 2 typical causes, and I think it was told this 100 times already:
- GPU drivers power management, to avoid this need to create profile for Demul and set there "Power management mode - Prefer maximum performance"
- DX11old GPU plugin, don't use it, it is ancient piece of sh*t and may produce 1000s of glitches, crashes and other problems.

kalawangman

Similar specs. My system runs Demul slow at all but instead caps the frames at 30fps as opposed to 60fps in any game than runs at 60fps. Idk what is the cause. Either an emulation timing bug or can't handle newer gpu hardware? Can't find anything regarding this bug.

i5 8600k, 16gb ram, ssd installed on windows in addition to an hdd, and a GTX 1070 Ti.

This is exactly how it runs on my system too. FPS and RPS counter both show 60 but only every other frame is outputted on the monitor. It really is choppy. This is when VYSNC is off.
I notice though that when you adjust audio buffer to lower values (lets say 1024), video is smoother but with really bad audio. When you set it to 4096, video output is like 15 fps. Might it be an SPU plug-in problem?
With VSYNC on everything runs smooth but it introduces a lot of input lag.

Hydreigon

This is exactly how it runs on my system too. FPS and RPS counter both show 60 but only every other frame is outputted on the monitor. It really is choppy. This is when VYSNC is off.
I notice though that when you adjust audio buffer to lower values (lets say 1024), video is smoother but with really bad audio. When you set it to 4096, video output is like 15 fps. Might it be an SPU plug-in problem?
With VSYNC on everything runs smooth but it introduces a lot of input lag.

I would probably avoid using vsync on most arcade titles. Frames still lock at 30 with vsync on. I never use gpudx11old either except for games that don't support gpudx11. Also, prefer maximum performance won't even change a thing because I don't ever upscale games especially the arcade titles. I will have to agree with kala on this. Incorrect timing for cpu and sound?

What gpu and cpu do you use kala?

kalawangman

I only have a 2500k and a gtx 1050. Demul runs 60 fps buttery smooth with vsync ON, both with dx11 new and old. I dont upscale either. I just want proper timing and correct framerate, I dont even mind screen tearing. Yeah, syncing issue is my only guess.

Hydreigon

Bumping. Still awaiting on if this is confirmed or not and if a workaround is available.

P.S. My pc monitor is 144hz.

MetalliC

Demul developer
I would probably avoid using vsync on most arcade titles.
why ?
Frames still lock at 30 with vsync on.
I repeat - can we hear game name (or games list) which locks at 30fps ?
Also, prefer maximum performance won't even change a thing because I don't ever upscale games especially the arcade titles.
usually it have effect especially if no scaling used and default/new dx11 renderer (in this case will be lower GPU load => more chances GPU drivers will think they are smart and clever, and will decrease GPU clock about to "2D profile" values => this lead to stuttering / slowdowns)

Last edited:

kalawangman

Hey MetalliC, my main man, maybe comparing these 2 will help:

Vsync OFF: LINK

Vsync ON: LINK

Is Vsync OFF supposed to be that stuttery? Just looking at the naomi and capcom logos scroll obviously shows it. With Vsync ON it's smooth, but people want to play it turned off because of the input lag.

Last edited:

Hydreigon

why ?

I repeat - can we hear game name (or games list) which locks at 30fps ?

usually it have effect especially if no scaling used and default/new dx11 renderer (in this case will be lower GPU load => more chances GPU drivers will think they are smart and clever, and will decrease GPU clock about to "2D profile" values => this lead to stuttering / slowdowns)

All games do this. Pretty much what kalawangman said with the whole vsync issue with arcade titles and input lag. Look as these vids and maybe you will believe us. I don't think the whole statement regarding the new dx renderer is true. If that were the case, then some slight slowdown would occur and I'm not getting any form of slowdown.

MetalliC

Demul developer
mmkay, I think I get it.
you are hijacked the thread and saying not about emulation slowdowns, stuttering or any kind of performance-related problem, but completely different issue: if VSync is disabled - visuals moving not smooth but kind of choppy.
I think it will be better in next version.

if speaking in general, "VSync makes (huge and notable) lag" is only certain game's engines design problem (Valve's Source Engine for example), and not takes place in 3D applications in general.
I see no reasons why not use VSync in emulators, and how it may add any kind of input lag here.

debeant

mmkay, I think I get it.
you are hijacked the thread and saying not about emulation slowdowns, stuttering or any kind of performance-related problem, but completely different issue: if VSync is disabled - visuals moving not smooth but kind of choppy.
I think it will be better in next version.

if speaking in general, "VSync makes (huge and notable) lag" is only certain game's engines design problem (Valve's Source Engine for example), and not takes place in 3D applications in general.
I see no reasons why not use VSync in emulators, and how it may add any kind of input lag here.

So, back on topic, sort of... I'm having issues too. Demul's only running at like, 19 fps on the bios. The new Dx11 plugin doesn't seem to work and the old one doesn't seem to notice that I've got a graphics card.

Honestly, it's shocking that I'm even getting 19 FPS.

Build: Ryzen 5 1600x
16 GB DDR4 2400 ram
1050 ti graphics card

Edit: Updated graphics driver. Fixed problems. Oops.

Last edited: