What's new

Can someone explain to me why texture packs can't be applied to a rom with a patch?

OP
T

timone317

I meant specific plug ins (such as Glide64) that are required to use texture packs.

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
still no, and romhacking is far to involved and the game itself would take forever to run.
Allow me to explain.
Lets use oot as an example:
Game size is 32MB in size (this is the size of the Good64 file there may be others larger or smaller)
The latest texture pack for this game is a little less then 1GB and when decompressed it exceedes 1GB of ram to load.
The N64 hardware was not ment to run anything that size and the largest rom for that system is 256MB i think.
This is not to say that there have been emulators modified for certain projects such as Supermario starroad but these mutant emulators are super buggy and are rejected by most of the emulation community.

emutalks

The N64 hardware was not ment to run anything that size and the largest rom for that system is 256MB i think.

The largest ROM's running on original hardware were 64 MB (aka 512 mbits). Games such as Conker's Bad Fur Day, Resident Evil 2 & Paper Mario were 64 MB.

prog-amateur

Hello, this was exactly the topic I was looking for.
Do you know if few years later (now 2021), some emulators (Mupen64plus, libretro, etc.) can run larger ROM size ? I am not talking about real N64 hardware as it is frozen.
Thus it could be interesting to make integrated texture pack ROMS instead of ROM + texture pack + emulator/Video plugin combo, what do you think ? Thank you