What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Original OOT textures artwork remaster?

volphor

Hi, I was wondering why no one has done a texture pack for OOT featuring the original textures artwork just on higher resolution. I think the original artwork properly "decompressed" would make OOT emulate a 128 bits game even better that it actually does, or intended to.
I mean the wind waker style and the 3ds style are great but I think the cooler are the original ones; might be because
they are designed in a way to compensate low poligonal level; also they look like a painting, which is awesome. I was just wondering why no one has never done it (I'm sure it's easier to do than most textures pack).

I think something like that would be great. Other than eliminating distortion and make textures less blurred remastering them on a higher resolution, it might be a nice opportunity to ad a bit extra colour and contrast to them, overcoming another issue with the original textures, which is the opaque palette.

Let me know your thoughts, I may make them myself, just to have an "original textures artwork HD remaster"

PS: I'm not talking of something like the community retexture project, which actually are totally different, way sharper textures that try to look like the originals, but actually is a completely different artwork; I'm talking of something more like a "cleaning up" of the actual textures. Hope someone gets what I mean.

Last edited:
OP
V

volphor

cel shade?

lol I guess it's a joke. I mean something more like a "border pixels clean up" (get the texture, ampli it to a reasonable resolution, add bilinear so they look like on in-game; and then start to retouch it, add color, sprite distorted borders, etc...) Anyway the "sharper filter 1" on newer release of project64 seems to do a pretty good job on the contrast and definition of the game (still could be better thought)

I love the original ott artwork, and how it try to emulate a less older game :D

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Have a look at PhotoZoom. They offer trials I think this will take care of the resolution side of things and bilinear.
If you search my posts you will see some examples of photozoom.

If you dump the files and test the settings you want to use I have the full version and can batch edit the files.

OP
V

volphor

I will take a look at PhotoZoom. It seems textures in oot were designed so much with, aside the n64 bilinear, the TV bilinear also on mind -if not played on an old TV, textures show more the issues coming from the limitations in which they were designed. On a pc with high resolution, they might look sharper, but with this mentioned downside. I think the optimum way to play ocarina like it was originally designed but in higher quality would be have the textures with more smoothed pixels, like they look on an old TV, plus on higher resolution, and maybe sharper filter 1 on, also. I have connected my laptop to an old TV with a converter, put high resolution and sharp filter on PJ64, and it looks very nice, way sharper and cleaner than the n64. Still, there's the low resolution of the TV downside, but it's bilinear also clean most of the textures issues. Also the higher inner resolution coming from project64 does his thing ). I think maybe the fastest solution would be just add resolution and bilinear to the originals textures, make glide load them, and then add some 2xsaI to them, or even HQ2xs, making those filters act over the png's with bilinear already added, 'cos if you use those filters over the original rendering, they just make a mess that ultimately kills the artwork.

Dyou think it would work the way I mean? If that so, could you make a pack with this characteristic? (higher resolution and bilinear already added)

PS; By the way, does PhotoZoom have filters like 2xsai, HQ2x, or a Sharper filter, also? If it's that way, export them fully processed would make possible to play the remastered textures on android too. (just a thought that crossed my mind)

PS; Also add a bit of gamma, contrast and colour really could make the difference on the opaque original textures, though it can be regulated from the monitor or the TV, like I do, but obviously have good contrasted and colored textures from source should make everything even better.

We could make a deal; you make the upscale and bilinear stuff on PhotoZoom, and I work the color and contrast on Photoshop.

What dyou say

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
I think this sounds like a good project.
I think you should look into forming a team Oot takes years to compleat.
Download a trial versonof photozoom and test the textures be fore we jump into anything.
Upload a test pack maybe links room or something.

OP
V

volphor

2ed4b9e.jpg

(mudlord's HQ2x + Less smooth = TEXTURE PERFECTION!)
I actually find a way to achieve what I was thinkin! It results that the "HQx2" filter of mudlord's 1.3.9 it's just perfect for N64 textures; If you look at the screenshot it looks super clean, like the textures were actually "sprited" over the models, instead of just low 32x32 p textures stretched and then added bilinear to them. I think this is the ideal way to play N64 textures. A shame that the HQx2 filter of glide dont have the same effect, not even adding a lot of smooth filter over, cos mudlord have some issues and overall a less complete emulation than glide :( try it yourself and you will see what I mean, there's no way of getting the native textures that clean and smooth on glide. Hope you guys take a note on this for a next release! Cheers

286r4er.png

this is the best I could achieve on glide

Last edited:

Raresoft

im interested on retexture games using original, or already existing, textures but cant dump the textures at this moment. Maybe if i solve the problem i can update the textures of zelda. ;)