What's new

demul07a_180816: Shenmue and graphic plug in

salk

I am using this Emulator to play Shenmue and I noticed how the old graphic plug in works way better, starting with the intro menu where the graphic effects with the new plugin are all messed up.

Is there any real reason for using the new one?

Thanks!

OP
S

salk

A screenshot doesn't help anything but here it is:

The issue is the blinking of the button icons in the Start Menu: it happens with the right bottom icon buttons A, B and digital pad. Plus the current selection button (in the screenshot the New Game button).

It is a problem only when using the new graphic plugin. Everything is perfect with the old one so I ask again: is there a valid reason to play with the new one?

Thanks!

Attachments

• StartMenu.jpg
    StartMenu.jpg
    72.8 KB · Views: 725

MetalliC

Demul developer
strange, I have no any mentioned issues running genuine game here. perhaps its specifics to yours hacked/modded version ? where I can get it ?

try to uncheck "Enable Translucent Join" in video settings, usually this speed optimization is harmless, but in some games it causes flickering of texts/etc, you have to disable it for such games.
or you may disable it at all if you have Nvidia GPU, this optimization mainly for ATI/AMD, which works slow in some cases.

in general - new renderer is MUCH faster in games which is extensively uses shadows, like Jet Set Radio for example. it is much faster in 2D games like Atomiswave MetalSlug6 or SamuraiShodown6. it supports all kind of framebuffer effects like Sega Extreme Sports sun effects of Vigilante 8 title screen. it have many other bugfixes or improvements made during last several years.

Last edited:
OP
S

salk

MetalliC,

the issue is present with the image of a non hacked Shenmue game as well. I tested the same images not only with the old GPU but also with other Dreamcast emulators and none of them present the same problem.

But disabling the "Enable Translucent Join" did work! Without it, the issue is gone.

Thanks for telling more about the new renderer. Much appreciated.

I hope I can get an answer also on the other topic I opened, about the paDemul error message.

MetalliC

Demul developer
okay, glad to see isse is resolved.
btw, what GPU and video driver version you have ?

sorry, have no idea about DInput error.

OP
S

salk

My GPU is a nVidia 980 ti. Driver version: 382.53.

Thanks again for your help.