What's new

Spread the word - angrylion-rdp-plus

Black Zero

Have you ever wanted to play Nintendo 64 games on your computer as they were meant to be played without graphical nastiness and near pixel-perfection but haven't got the power to use angrylion in the past?

Well say hello to angrylion-rdp-plus!

I stumbled on this when I read this article on Reddit:
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/comments/6vyeld/parallel_rdp_n64_vi_filter_vs_super_vi_filter/

A comment from user barracuda415 caught my attention:
https://www.reddit.com/r/emulation/...rdp_n64_vi_filter_vs_super_vi_filter/dm5wzxw/

I've been working on a multithreading fork of Angrylion's software renderer for quite some time, which should use modern multi-core CPUs much more efficiently than the single-threaded original. It's still very WIP, but it already allows me to run most games in real-time on my FX-6300 that would normally require a 7700k. I think with a many-core CPU, like Threadripper, the performance boost could be theoretically quite massive.

It's probably not a good replacement for a proper GPU implementation, especially when rendering in higher than native resolutions, but it combines the compatibility of Angrylion with a somewhat playable performance.

The project can be found here:
https://github.com/ata4/angrylion-rdp-plus

I have played around with this myself and it looks very promising, I mean full-speed in games like GoldenEye and Perfect Dark with angrylion? That's literally unheard of but it's very much true.

Enjoy and be sure to look here regularly as I will continue to post updates and updated builds of the plugin!

Here's a little show case that I cooked up real quick to demonstrate the plugin:

EDIT
Due to postimages.org the pictures I posted is gone and deleted which is aggravating because the slogan on their site clearly says:
Get permanent links for Facebook, Twitter, message boards and blogs which in retrospect is bull****

I'm sorry about that folks!

Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

To avoid graphical issues and strange exceptions you have to use cxd4's RSP, it's absolutely crucial.
I have now attached a precompiled version of the RSP.

ata4 have now opened a Issues section so go ahead and test this plugin out as much as you can and if you got problems then don't be shy to report them here

Attachments

• cxd4 rsp.zip
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,061
OP
B

Black Zero

Thank you very much NES_player4LIFE, much obliged!

I can give you folks some more great news regarding this project, loganmc10 the guy behind projects like GLupeN64 and M64P is currently working on adding mupen64plus api support.

This means that it soon will be compatible with mupen64plus so both camps can enjoy this plugin.

OP
B

Black Zero

The plugin have received quite a lot attention the last couple of weeks which is great and exciting progress is happening!

mupen64plus is already supported for those who prefer that as an option instead.

cxd4's RSP can be quite slow sometimes on heavier games like GoldenEye (explosions etc.) and I found out that you can use a newer RSP from Zilmar if you're like me and is still using Project64 1.7.0.50 rev23 (probably the most stable Project64 build ever made)

The old 1.7.0.3 RSP from Project64 1.7 can't handle angrylion-rdp-plus and that's why I recommended cxd4's RSP, but I will attach a newer compatible Zilmar RSP in this thread (1.7.1.9999) which should up the performance quite a lot.

You could also use newer versions of Project64 but the 2.x versions have been quite unstable for quite some time and the mileage might vary.

For those wanting a genuine N64 experience without having to own a super computer, angrylion-rdp-plus is definitely a project to follow these days and it has a great future becoming the best GFX plugin.

Attachments

• RSP 1.7.1.9999.zip
    155.9 KB · Views: 621
OP
B

Black Zero

This is an updated precompiled build of the plugin from the 14th of September (it will show up as "angrylion's RDP Plus r3-85-dirty" in Project64)

There have been around 70+ commits made since I first posted about the plugin here initially.

It's something to get you going until the next release at least.

Happy N64 gaming!

Attachments

• angrylion-plus (17-09-14).zip
    225.5 KB · Views: 556
OP
B

Black Zero

New release of the plugin is here and this is the change log:

- Added plugin support for mupen64plus (only code right now, builds will follow later)

- Added support for anamorphic widescreen (#13)

- Doubled the window resolution to 640x480 in unfiltered modes (#3)

- The main emulation thread no longer participates in rendering in multithreading, which can improve performance in some situations

- Changed settings are now saved between runs (#4)

- Fixed a performance regression in the VI filter (#9)

- Fixed garbage when opening the Bomber's Notebook in Majora's Mask and possibly in other games as well when the filter is active (#3)

- Merged angrylion r108 and r109

Enjoy!

Attachments

• angrylion-plus r4.zip
    227.5 KB · Views: 430
OP
B

Black Zero

[MENTION=13438]talker[/MENTION]
What do Wops mean? Are you happy with the plugin or is something wrong?
The video looks fine by me I suppose.

Anyway I'm attaching a updated plugin (it will show up as "angrylion's RDP Plus r4-8" in Project64) it contains a few bugfixes since the latest release.

Attachments

• angrylion-plus (17-09-28).zip
    221 KB · Views: 439

talker

It was more like "wops, I posted again, mom!" type of thing =P

Well, yeah, I'm semi-happy with the plug-in. It has a little more polygon tearing in dk64 but I haven't tried the latest one yet.

OP
B

Black Zero

[MENTION=13438]talker[/MENTION]
Now that the plugin have received more attention it will only get better for sure and it's frequently being worked on so expect a lot of neat updates!

jelbo

Nintendo emulation fanatic!
Black Zero, thanks for posting and updating. It's really exciting to be able to play and see my old N64 game collection on my pc, with pixel perfect emulation. It looks amazing.

OP
B

Black Zero

[MENTION=3922]jelbo[/MENTION] No Problem, it's my pleasure to help!

I'm attaching an updated build of the plugin (it will show up as "angrylion's RDP Plus r4-52" in Project64) and here's a couple of noteworthy changes since the r4 release:

- Merged angrylion r110
- Force 4:3/16:9 aspect ratio for unfiltered modes, fixes issue #23
- Crop away overscan and disable fade out code again, possible fix for issue #21

The full changelog can be found at the projects GitHub commit page as usual for those interested.

Happy N64 gaming everyone!

EDIT:
Updated first post on the front page with some show case screenshots to make the thread a bit more attractive!

Attachments

• angrylion-plus (17-10-07).zip
    227.6 KB · Views: 275
Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

angrylion's RDP Plus r4-56

Attachments

• angrylion-plus (17-10-08).zip
    227.6 KB · Views: 301
Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

I know I can't continue to spam this thread with new updated builds for ever so I decided to make a WIP Build issue thread at GitHub instead, its called WIP Builds found here! and will for as long as I can manage to keep up with it be updated frequently.

Anyway if something major is to arrive I'll announce it here though!

OP
B

Black Zero

New release is out, Angrylion RDP Plus r5

- Fixed a crash in Perfect Dark and possibly other games when using unfiltered VI modes. (#19)

- The original 640x480 window size is now preserved in the Zilmar plugin instead of adjusting it every time the resolution changes.

- The aspect ratio for unfiltered modes is now derived from filtered mode. (#23)

- The Zilmar plugin now stores options in a .ini file, which can also be edited by hand with a text editor.

- The overscan area is now cropped away, which removes some black borders, especially in PAL games. Full overscan output can be re-activated in the options.

- Made multithreaded rendering a separate option instead of having to set the number of workers to 1.

Enjoy!

HellfireEternal

I am having some issues with the Angrylion RDP Plus plug-in. I am getting 35-40 FPS with a modern set up (Intel i3 7350k 4.2GHz and GTX 1060 6GB) on Project 64. I am getting <30 FPS on Mupen64Plus (I am not sure how to display FPS with the Mupen64Plus emulator but it runs very slow so I know it is less then 30). What options can I change to adjust performance? What is the recommended RSP plug-in? I have read that people with older systems are getting 60FPS and I have heard that Mupen64Plus runs Angrylion RDP faster then Project 64 so I think something is off.

Versions: Project 64 2.40.661 (Released 11-15-17) m64p (build date Jan 9 2018) and I have tried using both the Angrylion RDP plus r6 Stable Release and the latest development build (1-10-18).

Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

I am having some issues with the Angrylion RDP Plus plug-in. I am getting 35-40 FPS with a modern set up (Intel i3 7350k 4.2GHz and GTX 1060 6GB) on Project 64. I am getting <30 FPS on Mupen64Plus (I am not sure how to display FPS with the Mupen64Plus emulator but it runs very slow so I know it is less then 30). What options can I change to adjust performance? What is the recommended RSP plug-in? I have read that people with older systems are getting 60FPS and I have heard that Mupen64Plus runs Angrylion RDP faster then Project 64 so I think something is off.

Versions: Project 64 2.40.661 (Released 11-15-17) m64p (build date Jan 9 2018) and I have tried using both the Angrylion RDP plus r6 Stable Release and the latest development build (1-10-18).

Hi HellfireEternal!

Your specifications shouldn't be a problem at all I think, are you running Project64 with cxd4's RSP by any chance?

I'm running latest Project64 from here with Zilmar's RSP + latest Angrylion-RDP-Plus from here

You could also try this version of Azimer's Audio Plugin I'm attaching to this post, it's WIP 9 and should yield good results and performance.

Also have you made sure that Multi-threaded rendering is enabled in the Angrylion-RDP-Plus settings in Project64? This should however be enabled by default in the very latest plugin build.

Attachments

• AziAudio_70_WIP9.zip
    82 KB · Views: 304

HellfireEternal

Thank you! I will give that a try. I have used a few different RSP's. What name will Zilmar's RSP show in the drop down list of the plug-in select screen?

OP
B

Black Zero

Thank you! I will give that a try. I have used a few different RSP's. What name will Zilmar's RSP show in the drop down list of the plug-in select screen?

Zilmar's RSP is the default RSP that is included in Project64.
Under Settings\Plugins\Reality Signal Processor plugin: make sure to select the one named "RSP Plugin" or something like that.

The default RSP in Project64 is much faster than cxd4's RSP.