What's new

Spread the word - angrylion-rdp-plus

OP
B

Black Zero

It all could be issues on my end but filtered + linear makes the startup screen in Perfect Dark look bizarre in latest Angrylion, but it doesn't in the 2018-11-23 build.
Azimer's WIP 10 is a bit more sluggish than WIP 9, but then again I'm only on a i7 8700K so it could be that.

Thanks for linking to the nightly build page regarding Project64, at least I don't have to use EmuCR builds anymore.

OP
B

Black Zero

I can't get Perfect Dark to boot at all in PJ64. Works in mupen.

I own the PAL/EU version of Perfect Dark but the NTSC/USA and NTSC/Japan version should work quite well too.
I'm currently using Project64 v2.4.0-955-g352dcff with Angrylion from 2018-11-23, Azimer's Audio WIP 9, alternating between Project64 RSP and cxd4 RSP.

Perfect Dark boots just fine both in Project64 and m64p.

It could be RDB related, I have tailor made mine to perfection so every game work perfectly.

I'm attaching a .txt file with RDB information which I have used to perfect my RDB file, you could find it useful.

If you need help with anything just ask, Perfect Dark should work great today in Project64 with everything that is available.

Attachments

• RDB Info.txt
    14.7 KB · Views: 170

xenphor

Ok I guess it is the vsync build of angrylion that is messing it up. I used that older build of angrylion and it boots.

I was getting this error:

cn64system::RunRSP

I tried changing to interpreter and it didn't fix it. I also tried using HatCat's RSP and it didn't help either. I guess I'll just have to stick to mupen since vsync works with that and it boots Perfect Dark at least.

OP
B

Black Zero

Ok I guess it is the vsync build of angrylion that is messing it up. I used that older build of angrylion and it boots.

I was getting this error:

cn64system::RunRSP

I tried changing to interpreter and it didn't fix it. I also tried using HatCat's RSP and it didn't help either. I guess I'll just have to stick to mupen since vsync works with that and it boots Perfect Dark at least.

It's a good thing to keep a backup of mupen because I'm not sure if m64p ever will be free again but it's also a good thing to have an up to date Project64 build because of Angrylion.
The state of N64 emulation is a sad one to say at least, only console I really don't know what to stick with.

Anyway, if there is something I could help you with don't hesitate to ask!

xenphor

How often does the core of the emulator change or improve? Can you just use the latest free m64p and then update the plugins as necessary?

I have used just the standard release build of mupen64plus before, but when I tried to use it with one of those angrylion or gliden64 builds I couldn't get it working. What does m64p do differently?

Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

Good question!

After m64p became payware I think focus shifted to improving the GUI for GLideN64 making it more user friendly like in the Project64 version.
At least that's what I can interpret from the little information given on the Patreon Page

I don't know how often the mupen64plus-gui (which is more like a front-end to mupen64plus) is updated anymore and if you actually could make "Frankenstein" builds with newer versions of GLideN64, Angrylion and the mupen64plus-core and such.

This is again the sad state of N64 emulation, you are forced to make all sorts of abomination builds and nothing is really stable or permanent.

For almost 2 consecutive years I have been using m64p with great success, then all of the sudden the project becomes locked behind Patreon and just hours before the links to the last build were removed I managed to snag 2 copies, one x86 and one x64

At least Project64 is still free for now at least, but if that would locked away behind paywalls too then our only hopes goes to Libretro/RetroArch

xenphor

m64p seems to work okay although I've had issues with the audio, specifically popping in Banjo Tooie. I set the buffer size to 2048 but it still happens. I've also tried messing with the cxd4 options like enabling sending audio lists to plugin, but that breaks the audio. Also, sometimes sound effects are delayed while other times they are not, depending on the game.

Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

m64p seems to work okay although I've had issues with the audio, specifically popping in Banjo Tooie. I set the buffer size to 2048 but it still happens. I've also tried messing with the cxd4 options like enabling sending audio lists to plugin, but that breaks the audio. Also, sometimes sound effects are delayed while other times they are not, depending on the game.

I know the feeling and have been there many times, seems like you have to alternate between Project64 and m64p a lot.

You could try out what's in here:
http://www.emutalk.net/threads/57309-Project64-All-you-need-to-get-started-is-right-in-here!

I have made several tests with that setup and everything seems to work just great!

xenphor

yeah that's pretty much the setup I have for Project 64 and when using your build I still can't get Banjo Tooie to boot. It freezes at the intro. I tried both RSP's.

Of course, even if it did work, I would still have to use a version of angrylion that had the exclusive fullscreen and vsync options I requested, which apparently has regressions, so I guess it doesn't matter.

M64p w/ angrylion seems to work well for Banjo Tooie other than the fact that it freezes randomly so I have to save state constantly.

Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

yeah that's pretty much the setup I have for Project 64 and when using your build I still can't get Banjo Tooie to boot. It freezes at the intro. I tried both RSP's.

Of course, even if it did work, I would still have to use a version of angrylion that had the exclusive fullscreen and vsync options I requested, which apparently has regressions, so I guess it doesn't matter.

M64p w/ angrylion seems to work well for Banjo Tooie other than the fact that it freezes randomly so I have to save state constantly.

I really wish I could help you solving the issue you have with Banjo Tooie but I don't own the game and I'm not that familiar with either of the Banjo games more than Banjo's appearance in Diddy Kong Racing.

From the information that can be found online there seem to be others with similar problems like you have but no bulletproof way to solving them.
But some people can play the game just fine so I don't know what is going on.

Looking at the default RDB entry for the USA version of the game there doesn't seem to be much settings for Banjo Tooie or something being off, it's even listed as Compatible

Code:
[C2E9AA9A-475D70AA-C:45]
Good Name=Banjo-Tooie (U)
Internal Name=BANJO TOOIE
Status=Compatible
Plugin Note=[Glide64] need per-frame FB for puzzle pieces
Culling=1
Save Type=16kbit Eeprom
Self Texture=1
RDRAM Size=8

Could you test adding this [MENTION=113467]xenphor[/MENTION] and see if it changes anything for you? I'm guessing you have the USA version?

Code:
[C2E9AA9A-475D70AA-C:45]
Good Name=Banjo-Tooie (U)
Internal Name=BANJO TOOIE
Status=Compatible
RDRAM Size=8
Save Type=16kbit Eeprom
Counter Factor=1
ViRefresh=1500
AiCountPerBytes=400
32bit=No
Use TLB=Yes
Fixed Audio=0
Sync Audio=1
Delay DP=Yes
Delay SI=No
Audio Signal=No
AudioResetOnLoad=No
CPU Type=Recompiler
FuncFind=1
Reg Cache=Yes
Linking=On
Fast SP=No
SMM-Cache=1
SMM-PI DMA=1
SMM-TLB=1
SMM-StoreInstr=0
SMM-Protect=0
SMM-FUNC=1
TLB: Vaddr Start=0

Last edited:

xenphor

Unfortunately those settings didn't help. I'm guessing people are saying it works because most are not using angrylion. It does work with GlideN64.

Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

Unfortunately those settings didn't help. I'm guessing people are saying it works because most are not using angrylion. It does work with GlideN64.

That's too bad really, then there has to be a angrylion specific problem with these games if GLideN64 works.
I have honestly not used GLideN64 since 2017 but I must imagine pretty much have happened to it since then, I might just have to try it out sometime.

EDIT:
[MENTION=113467]xenphor[/MENTION] could you try out these settings for Perfect Dark? You said earlier that the game didn't boot for you and these are the settings I use with no issues:

Code:
[E4B08007-A602FF33-C:50]
Good Name=Perfect Dark (Europe)
Internal Name=Perfect Dark
Status=Compatible
RDRAM Size=8
Save Type=16kbit Eeprom
Counter Factor=1
ViRefresh=1500
AiCountPerBytes=400
32bit=No
Use TLB=Yes
Fixed Audio=0
Sync Audio=1
Delay DP=Yes
Delay SI=No
Audio Signal=No
AudioResetOnLoad=No
CPU Type=Recompiler
FuncFind=1
Reg Cache=Yes
Linking=On
Fast SP=No
SMM-Cache=0
SMM-PI DMA=0
SMM-TLB=0
SMM-StoreInstr=0
SMM-Protect=1
SMM-FUNC=0
TLB: Vaddr Start=0

If you have another version of the game you might want to change the two first lines in the RDB file to match your version of the game.

Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

OK, I guess you used the angrylion's RDP Plus r7-82 version? That's what I'm using now and so far no issues.

I got to ask, I know you want vsync and such but from what I can tell, I see no screen tearing with angrylion's RDP Plus r7-82 and screen tearing usually is fixed with vsync. Do you have any screen tearing?

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong but I know screen tearing but it's not there at all, at least not for me.

xenphor

No screen tearing isn't the issue since modern versions of Windows have a compositor enabled which enforces vsync by default in applications that don't have exclusive fullscreen. The problem is irregular frame times which leads to judder/stutter where frames aren't delivered evenly. This isn't very noticeable in n64 games that already have low or inconsistent frame rates (of which there are many), but it is still annoying. It's more noticeable in 2d games that are at 60fps, like Mortal Kombat Trilogy:

https://webmshare.com/0d6Dx

On the left is Retroarch with Parallel/angrylion and the right is PJ64 with angrylion.

Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

I see what you mean now, it's very familiar and awful indeed.
Once you've seen it you can't let it go, Parallel N64 being so smooth. Yep definitely something you'd want in Project64.

[MENTION=113467]xenphor[/MENTION]

It looks like ata4 haven't been active last couple of days, and I see no response to the issue you have opened.
He or she is probably busy but I hope the issue can be addressed soon, I have completely given up on the latest release because none of the new options is getting saved in the .ini

Besides from that there is other regressions, but as I mentioned earlier I have no GitHub account anymore.

We'll have to wait a little bit longer.

Last edited:

xenphor

Well I've just gone back to mupen at the moment since apparently that latest version of angrylion has issues with Perfect Dark in PJ64 and I could never get Banjo Tooie to run regardless of version. It could be useful for other things if I find something mupen isn't good at.

Last edited:
OP
B

Black Zero

Each of them got their own pros and cons I suppose, but I always liked that Mupen got Cached_Interpreter which is like a middle option between Recompiler/New Dynarec and Interpreter.

While I got almost all of my games running pretty much OK in Project64 now I'm still trying to tame that beast to beyond perfection, however if I load m64p there is minimal effort and everything is smoother and I wish Project64 could be that too someday.

xenphor

What are your settings for m64p for the cxd4 rsp and sdl2 audio? I can't seem to get rid of intermittent audio popping even in games like Ocarina of Time which are easy to run at full speed. I have the buffer size at 2048 but it still happens. I tried it in parallel with angrylion and the audio was fine; it even runs at around 120fps unthrottled.