Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Nerrel

Amazing work so far! It's probably my favourite game, so I'm really glad someone is trying to make a better HD version of it
    As a 3D character artist, I would have a technical question if you don't mind - just out of curiosity. How does the texture mapping work exactly?

From the ripped N64 model, Deku Link's UVs are scattered on a 128x128 map

But in your texture pack, Deku Link is split in various squares

Those two methods of texturing seem a bit incompatible.. so how's that achieved?

Keep up the good work! Thank you

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    The mappings are really sloppy and usually the textures just fold over themselves leaving a lot of hard seams or they stretch the last row of pixels. I don't know anything about 3D modeling or creating maps, but it seems like they figured the N64 would be too low res to bother mapping things neatly. This is what the Deku hair looks like with some horizontal stripes added, it's hard to come up with any detail that won't leave a seam. The hat texture also stretches every pixel on the very edge around itself and turns the cloth pattern into diagonal lines:

Spoopy spoder house is done. If anyone uses it, there are new bloom and MXAO filters for ReShade in a package called qUINT, nothing in here is bright enough to show bloom but the effect is a lot better than the old standard one:

Just Having Fun
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You are such an exceptional artist.

It is difficult enough for many to create high quality art of their own design. It takes something more to replicate and improve others' art while remaining true to the original, and you are doing it swiftly from my perspective.

This could make me want to play MM again!
    When emulation is not enough, walk outside. I've been told it's a very interesting game out there.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm just glad to see something to nostalgic become something so beautiful.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Nerrel, first I just want to say, great job! Iím amazed at how beautiful it is while still remaining completely faithful. Good stuff.
    I do have some critiques though:

1. The clocktown guard recruitment poster looks nothing like the original. The skull thingies in the top right just look like some random artwork for the flying skull enemies was pasted on. The guard still just looks like soldier link in botw. The original had a longer face with a more narrow chin. The helmet plume had less volume and was more orange. The back of the helmet was higher up. I could keep going, but suffice it to say, it should actually be modeled after the guards in clocktown so it looks like the original

2. The hud buttons under items might look better if the center wasnít indented

3. The whole hud should be moved to the corners of the screen, so it isnít as obtrusive and fits to a 9:16 screen

4. Hearts are much too bulgy, particularly at the cleft part at the top

5. The white outline on the upgraded hearts are too thin to really see, and donít conform to shape of the heart when itís not a full heart

6. Deku link has weird stripes on his cap. I know thatís what it looked like in the original, but it makes no sense for it to be there and isnít there in any of the official artwork. I think it mightíve just been a problem with how the texture was wrapped onto the model

7. Most of the signs and posters around clocktown seem too perfect. Like, in the original, some of the posters were tattered and kinda faded. pictures of people didnít look perfectly printed or exactly like the subjects. Store signs and the clock face on the tower show paint wearing off of coarse wood

8. The sun symbol on the onscreen clock looks like some photoshop glowing effect. Its really out of place and would look a lot better as a stylized sun shape

I know this isnít your first priority right now, but do you have any plan to improve the graphic of the game beyond just hd textures? Like less polygonal character models and rounded edges, better particle effects, having bumbmaps on some of the textures, etc?

Also, I donít know much about how much you can actually change about the gameplay, but would it be possible to at least add some little improvements to the game?

I prefer the n64 version at least in terms of aesthetic and while the 3ds remake strayed a lot from the original look and made a lot of extraneous changes, it still added a lot more detail to the environments and is less janky.
    You had a lot of great ideas in your mm3d review video and itíd be great to see them implemented.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more from you! Iím glad majoras mask is finally getting the remake treatment it deserves.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Dude this looks great, i watched your vid on how 64 is better than 3D, not knowing you were making this texture pack!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DelusionalDeku View Post
    Hey Nerrel, first I just want to say, great job! I’m amazed at how beautiful it is while still remaining completely faithful. Good stuff.
    I do have some critiques though:

Thanks for those points, I think a lot of them are valid and I've heard some of those before. The HUD is always a WIP and has been changing as I go along, but I can't really change the position of it. GlideN64's best widescreen mode will leave the HUD unstretched in its 4:3 position. Even if the rom were to be hacked, I don't know if you could get a native 16:9 HUD to work because GlideN64 expects those 2D elements to be 4:3. I assume the best you could do is move the HUD closer to the very edges of the 4:3 box. I did try to make the HUD much smaller and less intrusive, but the consensus everywhere seemed to be that people preferred having the bigger buttons. I may redraw the hearts later on but for now my priority is to get everything done and then go over with a second pass and do the fine tuning. There are a lot of incomplete packs for this game and I want to be sure to get at least a full first draft out there.

I'd like to improve the game beyond textures but I'm totally inexperienced with 3D modeling or rom hacking. There are some changes from the 3D version that would be nice to have, like the banker defaulting to depositing all rupees, or even gyro aim (probably not possible!). Maybe by the time the texturing is done I'll have learned how to do some of these mods or someone who knows how will volunteer to contribute. Thanks again for the advice.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you for your hard work! after watching your comparison video, this will be the definitive way to play Majora's mask for years to come. Keep it up!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I've used Reshade a lot, but for some reason, Reshade 3 just crashes Project64 (or the Project64 just closes itself with no warning) on game start up. I've only selected the shaders you listed in the Readme and I've followed the instructions but it just crashes. Is it possible one day when the project is complete you can make a tutorial on how to install Reshade 3 with Project64?
    Last edited by Knight45; September 18th, 2018 at 23:48.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    If you move reshade's openGl32.dll out of the p64 folder to "disable" it, does the game boot up correctly again? And are you sure you selected openGL when installing reshade?

The latest verisons of GlideN64 (I think from the second Naboo alpha build months ago) have a problem where Reshade causes objects to turn transparent when indoors, even if all effects are disabled. The issue has been posted and seen by the developers, but no one has really taken up fixing it yet. So for the time being, I'm not too sure if I can push Reshade as part of the pack when it seems to be getting less compatible and more complicated to set up as time goes on. Which sucks, because the effects really add a lot to the visuals.

I will put together a video overview of the pack with instructions for how to set it up since I've gotten a lot of questions about it, but I'd like to see if some of these issues get resolved first. My dream is that MXAO will become compatible with the newer versions of GlideN64, since right now it only works with glideN64 2.0 when framebuffer emulation is disabled. The newer versions have the lighting system decoded and a lot of nice fixes.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast