What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.
  • As members seem to have a problem reading the release threads:

Djipi's packs are built for the (Glide64 finale) Plugin. Nolonger supported!
    Djipi's packs are built for the (GlideN64) Plugin.
    These two Plugins are two completely different pieces of code.

GlideN64.HTC archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on Glide64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Glide64.DAT archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on GlideN64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Djipi has never made a pack for use with Rice video and never will. any packs found in this format are not authorized!

GlideN64 is the new standard and only requires an Radeon 6XXX.
    This is a somewhat older GPU and should be readily available.
    Do everyone a favor and upgrade!

Majora's Mask N64HD Project Completed!

OP
N

Nerrel

Here's the first video showing the new swamp areas in motion:

I'm glad those textures look alright- I got some negative feedback about the tree wall around Termina field last time (it's been replaced!) and the swamp tree wall is a similar texture. Luckily it's farther away and blends in better.

Fantastic job. Will be compatible with these patches https://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=5161.0 and with which roms? Cheers.

I've never heard of those mods before. Is that for making the GC version play more like the N64 game? If you're running it in Dolphin you'd need to use Dolphin's texture format, which Admentus has started converting the pack to. If you can actually run the GC version in Project64 after that hack, I have no idea if these textures would still work.

And here's the new upload of the pack if anyone wants to try it (it's getting huge):
https://mega.nz/#!iU9FmYRD!zJY_izl1KUoiZCpvSD-wtSUIVyLou9RA24DoZCwgqp8

Last edited:

Imgema

Retro Hoarder
Hi, your texture pack looks great so far. Works fine for me too but Link's tunic looks a bit weird with distracting moire effects and alignment issues

https://s15.postimg.cc/d9nbqje23/Untitled.png

Is this how it's supposed to look or some error? Where can i find there particular textures so i can remove them until they are fixed? Thanks.

OP
N

Nerrel

Thanks to everyone for the testing and comments. As mentioned above, Link's tunic is a junk placeholder and if anyone else wants to delete it then remove the following textures from ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK/characters/Link:
ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK#C892FCD2#4#1_all
ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK#BD776316#4#1_all

For anyone who is using the new upload, there's an issue where a texture needed to be semi-transparent in order to work in the woodfall area. I've uploaded the corrected file along with the in-progress woodfall textures, drag the folder into ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK be sure to overwrite everything:
https://mega.nz/#!yBEh1YaY!NL6K-vajwetotIFWpojRGxsq62Xkg6sPeZZe-rvJckI

Woodfall is done and the temple is well underway now. I forgot to put the Deku palace in the video, so here's a shot of that too:

I also found an xbrz scaler I can use on the minimaps. I've been scaling them up using nearest neighbor just to keep them sharp, but with this they would lose the pixelated edges and appear smooth. I'd like some feedback on how it looks in these examples before I redo all the maps with it (couldn't get it to upload, so the image is attached):
Maps.jpg

Last edited:

sandrock47

Hello guy's

Really well done for this work except it is beautiful.
I did not find any other HD texturing like this one.

I would love to play but I do not understand how exactly.

Can someone explain exactly what to do to install the patch?

(I use the RomStation platform but I can change)

Thank you so much.

OP
N

Nerrel

Hello guy's

Really well done for this work except it is beautiful.
I did not find any other HD texturing like this one.

I would love to play but I do not understand how exactly.

Can someone explain exactly what to do to install the patch?

(I use the RomStation platform but I can change)

Thank you so much.

Thanks for the comments. I've never heard of romstation before so I can't really say anything about it, but this isn't a patch that needs to be installed. It's meant to be used with an N64 emulator like project64 or mupen64+. In the case of project64, you would need to -

-download and install pj64
-download the gliden64 plugin and place it in project64/plugin/
-extract my "ZELDA_MAJORA'S_MASK" folder from the archive and place it in project64/plugin/gfx/hires_texture/
-click "use texture pack," "use full transparency," and "compress texture cache" in the gliden64 options. No patching needed, the emulator will just use the png files in the folder as they are.

If you're willing to give that a try let me know if it works.

sandrock47

problem

Hello Nerrel,

Thank you for the instructions! However, I can not get the HD update to work.

-I install Project64 OK
-I place the Gliden64 patch in "plugin" "

* - I put the folder "MAJORA ......." in "hires_texture" that I created at the right place

- In option / parameter / plugin I make the change.

And nothing changes, I'm a little lost ...

I hope you have a solution, I'm not very good at doing the manipulations so maybe I missed a step.

OP
N

Nerrel

The settings in your graphics plugin options menu should look like this. Make sure the path listed is the same place you have the zelda folder. If it still doesn't work, try disabling "save enhanced cache to hard disk," as that feature is bugged in gliden64 3.0 and may not save the cache correctly. Check project64 2.3/plugin/gfx/cache for a cache file; if there is one, it should be around 500mb. If there's a file that's much smaller, delete it.
42584853165_b3e13bc2b3_z.jpg

When you open the ZELDA MAJORA'S MASK folder itself should display its path just like this when placed correctly (I install project64 into the documents folder, by default it will be in program files):
43441816672_65f5323e5c_b.jpg

sandrock47

Hello Nerrel!
I took over the manpulation from the beginning and it works!
It's really awesome.

I would love to help you finish your job, I am a graphic designer, of course I am far from the best but if you need help and I can help.

Have you already made other games in HD?

OP
N

Nerrel

Hello Nerrel!
I took over the manpulation from the beginning and it works!
It's really awesome.

I would love to help you finish your job, I am a graphic designer, of course I am far from the best but if you need help and I can help.

Have you already made other games in HD?

Really glad you got it to work and are happy with it. This is my first full texture pack; I've done a few small mods before, mainly a gravity suit pack for Other M, but I had no idea what I was doing. I've been learning how to do textures as I go along with this mod.

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
It's nice to see a new, serious attempt at creating a MM high res pack. (as far as I am aware, none of the previous packs were ever completed) especially at this late date: almost 20 years after its initial release. Your style is excellent! I hope that you can keep up with the project for the long haul.

Good luck.

OP
N

Nerrel

Here's a video of the finished temple. I realize it's probably moving a little too fast to get a good comparison, I think next time I'll use static cameras more. From here I'll be finishing up the few small shop interiors in the swamp:

Edit- some photos to show the details that may not be easy to see in the video:

Last edited:

Hydef Hyrule

HD and beyond
Hey there,

I was linked from the Dolphin forums by Admentus to watch the progress of this fantastic mod. You're really doing some awesome work.

I was going to make a trailer for MM like I did for OOT to showcase masterotaku and Admentus's combined Collector's Edition texture pack, but when I saw that you were in progress of doing a full overhaul of MM I decided to wait. I've played up until Woodfall temple from which I understand is as far as you've gotten, and everything has looked fantastic so far. Definitely superior to the 3DS version, no doubt.

Here's the OOT showcase / trailer if you're interested. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK4mXXadQrN6TSh6kXj_qLQ

I would love to promote this project as well once you're finished!

OP
N

Nerrel

I've wanted to put together a review/comparison of MM3D and the original ever since the remake released and now I've finally gotten it together. The texture mod isn't used much since I wanted to keep the comparison focused on the original as it released, but I think this sums up very thoroughly why I'm working on this mod instead of just playing the 3DS version. If you have the time, hopefully you find it interesting:

The shops in the swamp are done. The deku shrine/race area has a major problem in GlideN64 that prevents the textures from displaying correctly, but I can still work on the textures... I just can't test them out for now. Luckily the skulltula house seems straightforward.

I also redid what I consider the worst texture in the entire pack:

I also started to think that Link should be retextured by now. These are the hardest textures to get right and this is just a first draft, but I went for a blend between his original face and the bigger-eyed concept art. He has a sterner look in MM's art than he did in OoT's and I wanted to bring that through:
43491571164_f374a875ee_o.jpg

The shields have been done for a while, but I don't think I ever posted a comparison. There's a seam issue on the hero's shield that I can probably get around:

Hey there,

I was linked from the Dolphin forums by Admentus to watch the progress of this fantastic mod. You're really doing some awesome work.

I was going to make a trailer for MM like I did for OOT to showcase masterotaku and Admentus's combined Collector's Edition texture pack, but when I saw that you were in progress of doing a full overhaul of MM I decided to wait. I've played up until Woodfall temple from which I understand is as far as you've gotten, and everything has looked fantastic so far. Definitely superior to the 3DS version, no doubt.

Here's the OOT showcase / trailer if you're interested. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCK4mXXadQrN6TSh6kXj_qLQ

I would love to promote this project as well once you're finished!

Thanks for the thoughts, I'd love to see what you'd choose to put in a video. I don't think what I'm doing competes with the 3DS version on a technical level, 30fps +higher poly models and better lighting will always give that version the edge. I'll be happy if it holds up even moderately well in comparison to the 3D version in Citra.

Last edited:

Admentus

If 30 FPS worries you, darkludx over at the Dolphin forums is currently working on a 30 FPS code for the Collector's Edition of Majora's Mask (NTSC-U). That being said, the game can already run in 30 FPS, but has several issues which are being fixed over time. Just now issues such as the Goron Pound, Deku Stick, flow of time and others have been fixed. Don't expect 30 FPS mode to work as perfectly as in the 3DS remake, but it is an option now.

I always preferred the console version. Having two screens with touch controls isn't exactly a great experience... Even if the 3DS emulator Citra would support hires textures for Majora's Mask 3D... Perhaps then, if there was a solution to get rid of the touch controls and get everything to display on the main screen.

Last edited:

david1211

Part one of the swamp (part two will take a few days, not a month!):

That's one of the four branches nearly done; the only real work here now is the temple. I upgraded to a color accurate 1440p monitor (from a 1080p HDTV) this month and I'm pleased to see that the resolutions I've worked at are holding up, but from here I may go a little larger to make sure there's enough res for 4k. I've also been busy with video editing and have been doing a large project about the game, which I hope to share pretty soon. For part two I'm preparing the remaining textures in the Deku palace and "lost woods" area and will put together a video showing the textures in motion for once; that'll all *likely* be up this weekend along with an update of the demo pack. Hope you like it!

It looks amazing.

death--droid

Wow you have been making some increidble progress, and also fantastic job on that video comparing the original N64 Majoras Mask to its remaster. You make a lot of great points in it.