What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.
  • As members seem to have a problem reading the release threads:

Djipi's packs are built for the (Glide64 finale) Plugin. Nolonger supported!
    Djipi's packs are built for the (GlideN64) Plugin.
    These two Plugins are two completely different pieces of code.

GlideN64.HTC archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on Glide64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Glide64.DAT archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on GlideN64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Djipi has never made a pack for use with Rice video and never will. any packs found in this format are not authorized!

GlideN64 is the new standard and only requires an Radeon 6XXX.
    This is a somewhat older GPU and should be readily available.
    Do everyone a favor and upgrade!

Majora's Mask N64HD Project Completed!

Stalfos King

Nerrel fan
Thanks for such a detailed response! Yeah, I'm using the latest version of GlideN64, so that explains the logo issue. Glad to see the mask icons have been improved! As for the font on the buttons, it makes sense to me now that there won't be a perfect match. Some of my feedback was just thoughts I wanted to throw out there for possible consideration and wasn't necessarily downright criticism. In any case, I'd have to see the other options in-game, but I will say the current one is actually a fairly good match, all things considered. It kind of has the same energy to it. As for Link, I suppose my nostalgia just gets the best of me sometimes! Looking at it realistically, I think your second draft of his eyes is looking really good. It looks much more natural than both the first draft and his original, alien-like eyes while still resembling the original. Your point about it being too difficult to replicate from the original makes sense, and I agree there's no way his alien-looking face was their original intention. Concerning Link's clothing, I'll definitely have to wait until the retextures are completely done to decide, but I'm mostly concerned because I feel that the 3DS version of link, with his bright colors, gives a drastically different impression than the N64 Link did. For me, how happy I am with it will probably depend on how close it ends up to the 3DS version's Link. As I mentioned before, I think that the in-game 64 Link and the concept art took two very different directions, and, being as biased as I am to the original, I prefer the somewhat darker colors and brass Deku pipes. In my personal opinion, the darker colors better complement the game, but everything is completely subjective, and I understand that. Like I said, though, I'll definitely have to see the final product before I can say which I prefer. It's obvious you have everything well thought-out, and I can't think of anyone better for this awesome task. Finally, just a thought, although it's definitely an afterthought at this stage of development, but perhaps there could be an optional version of the pack with more faithful textures for link's tunic, boots, straps, gloves, etc?

Last edited:
OP
N

Nerrel

The outdoor mountain areas are now all done, including the thawed variations. The game uses two separate textures for the winter and spring versions of objects even when they're identical, so I took advantage of that to add snow and frost to the winter versions so there's a little more of a difference when everything thaws:

I think Link's eyes have settled on where I want them for now. I actually got help by looking at the Hyrule Warriors version of Majora's Mask Link, since it did a much better job of matching the concept art than MM3D and pretty much is the original art realized in a game.

perhaps there could be an optional version of the pack with more faithful textures for link's tunic, boots, straps, gloves, etc?

I could do that, but that would come at the end if people still don't like the look of those things. None of these textures are done yet and the Deku especially will have a lot of changes, what you're seeing now is just a draft.

Stalfos King

Nerrel fan
Those eyes are looking really good at this point! They're like a compromise between the original and the concept art. The mountain area is looking fantastic as well. Always exciting to see new progress.

Andrew O

Anyone willing to help me out? I've followed the YouTube tutorial and been unable to make it load the texture packs. It might be an easy fix but might be something long and arduous. Anyone willing to spend the time on skype or discord or whatever else would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Skype: TwilightDash1 = prefered method of contact please but Can move to discord if necessary

OP
N

Nerrel

Glad to hear that the eyes seem fixed. Here are Goron link's textures while we're at it (ignore the hat for now):

44884102654_0a8a2b4f4d_z.jpg

His eye color remains blue in Goron form now and the gloves follow the art. Not everyone agrees on the concept art approach, but I like that metallic looking glove design better. They might need to be brightened up though, the game may have purposefully made them brighter to make his hands and feet stand out more.

Regular gorons:

Anyone willing to help me out? I've followed the YouTube tutorial and been unable to make it load the texture packs. It might be an easy fix but might be something long and arduous. Anyone willing to spend the time on skype or discord or whatever else would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Andrew

Skype: TwilightDash1 = prefered method of contact please but Can move to discord if necessary

I hate to say it but I don't know enough about GlideN64 to troubleshoot it; if the guide didn't work, I don't know where to begin solving it. The questions I can ask right now are whether the emulator works well with the texture pack disabled and whether you're absolutely sure the pack is in the location shown by your options menu.

You can try using Mupen64 instead of Project64 and see if that makes any difference. If you have either Dolphin compatible version, I'd also suggest trying it there since Dolphin should be a lot easier to get running (no plugins, for one).

Stalfos King

Nerrel fan
I actually really like the concept art's gloves, too. I guess it just depends for me! :D As a side note, I feel like that bomb shop Goron's hair looks a little off. Maybe it's not scraggly/uneven enough? His little beard also looks a little too neat in my opinion. Also good call on moving the reflection/highlight in the eyes toward the center.

Last edited:

Khann_btw

Sorry if I ask you about my problem here but really, i got no response elsewhere.
My problem is about the reshade config you shared.
I managed to use reshade with dolphin (direct3D11), the menu works and says the effects loaded, but when i check and uncheck the single effects nothing seems to change, like no one actually works. Nobody answered me and google doesn't offer much about this.
I repeat I know that maybe this is not the correct thread to discuss this but i want to experience MM in the best way possible, tried to use project64 but the result on my pc was horrible!

OP
N

Nerrel

When you first install Reshade, it'll ask if you want to download a collection of shaders. Choose yes, and check ambient light and vibrance. Then download and extract the qUINT shaders (click clone or download > download zip) and add them to: project64 2.3/Reshade-shaders/Shaders/

When you run a game for the first time, Reshade should walk you through a tutorial and make you save a configuration file at one point. Don't bother adjusting any settings, just name the configuration Majora's Mask and finish the tutorial.

Then replace the Majora's Mask ini file Reshade created (Project64 2.3/Majora's Mask.ini ) with the one I provide. The next time you load the effects, they should work (remember to disable MXAO unless you're using the newest WIP GlideN64).

OP
N

Nerrel

I finally got enough time to play...I am currently at Snowhead Temple and the game looks amazing Nerrel.

Thanks, but how is it you're playing at the same rate I'm retexturing?!

All of the mountain area should be done now aside from Snowhead temple, which is up next:

I also replaced the low-poly render of the mirror shield I had been using in the status menu with a newly drawn one:
45754020842_c51c799f24_o.png

I should hopefully get a video up tomorrow showing more stuff.

Stalfos King

Nerrel fan
Looking amazing as usual! Only complaints are that the color palettes feel considerably warmer in some places, such as the interior of the goron village (where the baby is), and the texture on the inside of that shop for the ground looks a little bit busy/small/grainy. I really hate to just have complaints every single time you have an update, but please keep in mind I'm just trying to hopefully help to improve this already amazing project. I hope I'm not getting too annoying!

Last edited:

leevwj89

Probably over an hour or so because I was trying to collect items. It did take me a while though. I would stop at specific points and save and then go back and play when I get the chance.

- - - Updated - - -

Too many games to play with very little time. :(

OP
N

Nerrel

The mountain video is up! I'm looking forward to starting the temple.

I really hate to just have complaints every single time you have an update, but please keep in mind I'm just trying to hopefully help to improve this already amazing project. I hope I'm not getting too annoying!

Criticism is the whole point, and I've made a lot of improvements I wouldn't have otherwise because of it, so keep it coming. The warm color is due to ReShade being on in the HD shots, the actual textures aren't as dark or saturated as the filters make them appear. I do think the ground is off, it looks like maybe it was supposed to be rock instead of dirt.

Stalfos King

Nerrel fan
Criticism is the whole point, and I've made a lot of improvements I wouldn't have otherwise because of it, so keep it coming.

Really glad to hear that. You are an excellent developer! Also, the idea that I'm doing a part to help in this makes me happy!

The warm color is due to ReShade being on in the HD shots, the actual textures aren't as dark or saturated as the filters make them appear.

Also really glad to hear that; that means it's ultimately up to user preference. I know a lot of people will prefer the more saturated colors, but I don't. Plus, people like me can configure ReShade to their liking to get the best of both worlds!

Looking absolutely fantastic as usual in the video! I think one thing that sticks out pretty majorly is the area with the islands and the bridges and islands when it's thawed. The icy tips of the surrounding cliffs/walls of that area don't blend very well with the textures on the walls beneath them. The seam is probably unavoidable, without texture mapping/modelling edits, but that's not really what I'm talking about. The tips/peaks of those cliffs/walls look like ice, but it cuts sharply to the dirt/rock texture beneath. Here's an image of what I'm talking about:

Shot.png

Other than that, maybe the curtains in the smithy and the wood planks in the goron shop look a little too rounded/funny? Particularly the planks behind the goron in the shop, but this isn't really a big deal. Also I still think the pine trees look a little funny, but I think I remember you saying those are still a draft.
Oh, and, finally, I think some textures have that airbrushy feel I described with the gilded sword icon before where they're a little blurry, such as the ropes on the bridges in the island area (the one in the picture above)
Anyway, like I said, looking awesome! I can't tell you how much I'm looking forward to this definitive remaster.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nerrel

In general the big outdoor areas all have awful texture seams and the worst mappings, but in this case I screwed something up. A lot of textures are identical between the two seasons so there was a lot of copying winter textures over to spring and just changing the filenames. I must have copied the wrong one over.

This is what it looks like after a quick fix. Still not perfect, but not as jarring:

Stalfos King

Nerrel fan
In general the big outdoor areas all have awful texture seams and the worst mappings, but in this case I screwed something up. A lot of textures are identical between the two seasons so there was a lot of copying winter textures over to spring and just changing the filenames. I must have copied the wrong one over.

This is what it looks like after a quick fix. Still not perfect, but not as jarring:

That looks way better! I figure it's not possible for it to be perfect with the current mappings, so I'd call this a definite success. Definitely not as jarring anymore.

Also, I forgot to mention that I'm really happy with what you ended up doing with Goron Link. I was definitely initially skeptical of the concept art approach, but in this case I think it worked out great! Keep it up!

Oh, also, I've been wondering, what is the HTC cache version of the pack?

Last edited:
OP
N

Nerrel

The .htc version is the compressed cache file that GlideN64 saves the textures to in order to make loading faster. Instead of loading the png files and creating a cache, you can just download the cache itself and cut out a couple steps in the process. I'd actually recommend using the htc version if it works for you since it's simpler and faster. You just put it in the project64 2.3/plugin/GFX/Cache folder and it should load as long as "save texture cache to hard disk" is on.