What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.
  • As members seem to have a problem reading the release threads:

Djipi's packs are built for the (Glide64 finale) Plugin. Nolonger supported!
    Djipi's packs are built for the (GlideN64) Plugin.
    These two Plugins are two completely different pieces of code.

GlideN64.HTC archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on Glide64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Glide64.DAT archived packs locked by Djipi are not compatible with use on GlideN64, Rice video, nor Jabo video.

Djipi has never made a pack for use with Rice video and never will. any packs found in this format are not authorized!

GlideN64 is the new standard and only requires an Radeon 6XXX.
    This is a somewhat older GPU and should be readily available.
    Do everyone a favor and upgrade!

Majora's Mask N64HD Project Completed!

Z

ZedK49

Hey Nerrel

Amazing work so far! It's probably my favourite game, so I'm really glad someone is trying to make a better HD version of it :)
As a 3D character artist, I would have a technical question if you don't mind - just out of curiosity. How does the texture mapping work exactly?

From the ripped N64 model, Deku Link's UVs are scattered on a 128x128 map
wgISDHl.jpg

But in your texture pack, Deku Link is split in various squares
bkoJgND.jpg

Those two methods of texturing seem a bit incompatible.. so how's that achieved?

Keep up the good work! Thank you

OP
N

Nerrel

The mappings are really sloppy and usually the textures just fold over themselves leaving a lot of hard seams or they stretch the last row of pixels. I don't know anything about 3D modeling or creating maps, but it seems like they figured the N64 would be too low res to bother mapping things neatly. This is what the Deku hair looks like with some horizontal stripes added, it's hard to come up with any detail that won't leave a seam. The hat texture also stretches every pixel on the very edge around itself and turns the cloth pattern into diagonal lines:
44362825392_54091dec38_c.jpg

Spoopy spoder house is done. If anyone uses it, there are new bloom and MXAO filters for ReShade in a package called qUINT, nothing in here is bright enough to show bloom but the effect is a lot better than the old standard one:

EmuNoviceUser

Just Having Fun
You are such an exceptional artist.

It is difficult enough for many to create high quality art of their own design. It takes something more to replicate and improve others' art while remaining true to the original, and you are doing it swiftly from my perspective.

This could make me want to play MM again!

DelusionalDeku

Hey Nerrel, first I just want to say, great job! I’m amazed at how beautiful it is while still remaining completely faithful. Good stuff.
I do have some critiques though:

1. The clocktown guard recruitment poster looks nothing like the original. The skull thingies in the top right just look like some random artwork for the flying skull enemies was pasted on. The guard still just looks like soldier link in botw. The original had a longer face with a more narrow chin. The helmet plume had less volume and was more orange. The back of the helmet was higher up. I could keep going, but suffice it to say, it should actually be modeled after the guards in clocktown so it looks like the original

2. The hud buttons under items might look better if the center wasn’t indented

3. The whole hud should be moved to the corners of the screen, so it isn’t as obtrusive and fits to a 9:16 screen

4. Hearts are much too bulgy, particularly at the cleft part at the top

5. The white outline on the upgraded hearts are too thin to really see, and don’t conform to shape of the heart when it’s not a full heart

6. Deku link has weird stripes on his cap. I know that’s what it looked like in the original, but it makes no sense for it to be there and isn’t there in any of the official artwork. I think it might’ve just been a problem with how the texture was wrapped onto the model

7. Most of the signs and posters around clocktown seem too perfect. Like, in the original, some of the posters were tattered and kinda faded. pictures of people didn’t look perfectly printed or exactly like the subjects. Store signs and the clock face on the tower show paint wearing off of coarse wood

8. The sun symbol on the onscreen clock looks like some photoshop glowing effect. Its really out of place and would look a lot better as a stylized sun shape

I know this isn’t your first priority right now, but do you have any plan to improve the graphic of the game beyond just hd textures? Like less polygonal character models and rounded edges, better particle effects, having bumbmaps on some of the textures, etc?

Also, I don’t know much about how much you can actually change about the gameplay, but would it be possible to at least add some little improvements to the game?

I prefer the n64 version at least in terms of aesthetic and while the 3ds remake strayed a lot from the original look and made a lot of extraneous changes, it still added a lot more detail to the environments and is less janky.
You had a lot of great ideas in your mm3d review video and it’d be great to see them implemented.

Anyway, I look forward to seeing more from you! I’m glad majoras mask is finally getting the remake treatment it deserves.

Osovich

Dude this looks great, i watched your vid on how 64 is better than 3D, not knowing you were making this texture pack!

OP
N

Nerrel

Hey Nerrel, first I just want to say, great job! I’m amazed at how beautiful it is while still remaining completely faithful. Good stuff.
I do have some critiques though:

Thanks for those points, I think a lot of them are valid and I've heard some of those before. The HUD is always a WIP and has been changing as I go along, but I can't really change the position of it. GlideN64's best widescreen mode will leave the HUD unstretched in its 4:3 position. Even if the rom were to be hacked, I don't know if you could get a native 16:9 HUD to work because GlideN64 expects those 2D elements to be 4:3. I assume the best you could do is move the HUD closer to the very edges of the 4:3 box. I did try to make the HUD much smaller and less intrusive, but the consensus everywhere seemed to be that people preferred having the bigger buttons. I may redraw the hearts later on but for now my priority is to get everything done and then go over with a second pass and do the fine tuning. There are a lot of incomplete packs for this game and I want to be sure to get at least a full first draft out there.

I'd like to improve the game beyond textures but I'm totally inexperienced with 3D modeling or rom hacking. There are some changes from the 3D version that would be nice to have, like the banker defaulting to depositing all rupees, or even gyro aim (probably not possible!). Maybe by the time the texturing is done I'll have learned how to do some of these mods or someone who knows how will volunteer to contribute. Thanks again for the advice.

Mrtoad883

Thank you for your hard work! after watching your comparison video, this will be the definitive way to play Majora's mask for years to come. Keep it up!

Knight45

I've used Reshade a lot, but for some reason, Reshade 3 just crashes Project64 (or the Project64 just closes itself with no warning) on game start up. I've only selected the shaders you listed in the Readme and I've followed the instructions but it just crashes. Is it possible one day when the project is complete you can make a tutorial on how to install Reshade 3 with Project64?

Last edited:
OP
N

Nerrel

If you move reshade's openGl32.dll out of the p64 folder to "disable" it, does the game boot up correctly again? And are you sure you selected openGL when installing reshade?

The latest verisons of GlideN64 (I think from the second Naboo alpha build months ago) have a problem where Reshade causes objects to turn transparent when indoors, even if all effects are disabled. The issue has been posted and seen by the developers, but no one has really taken up fixing it yet. So for the time being, I'm not too sure if I can push Reshade as part of the pack when it seems to be getting less compatible and more complicated to set up as time goes on. Which sucks, because the effects really add a lot to the visuals.

I will put together a video overview of the pack with instructions for how to set it up since I've gotten a lot of questions about it, but I'd like to see if some of these issues get resolved first. My dream is that MXAO will become compatible with the newer versions of GlideN64, since right now it only works with glideN64 2.0 when framebuffer emulation is disabled. The newer versions have the lighting system decoded and a lot of nice fixes.

Knight45

Everything works fine once I remove the opengl32.dll which is Reshade. I tried GlideN64 with old version of Reshade and it somewhat works, no depth effects work such as SSAO, the newest version of Reshade wont work with GlideN64 2.0 or 3.0. Which version of Project64 do you use, maybe that could be the reason.

OP
N

Nerrel

I'm using the latest 2.4 development build of pj64 which is from August 20th, and I usually use the Naboo alpha 1 build of GlideN64 since it's the newest version that works without the Reshade glitch I mentioned. MXAO won't work correctly in anything other than 2.0, but the other effects all work for me in the newer builds. The only issue is that things turn transparent indoors like I mentioned, but it all still runs.

The GlideN64 developers opted to cut bloom and other post processing out of the plugin since external programs like Reshade could handle that, but unfortunately they've also opted not to work on remaining compatible with Reshade. From what I read on the Reshade forum I assume MXAO could work if they ported it into the plugin itself instead of going through Reshade, but I don't think any developer will make that a priority if even basic Reshade compatibility can't get attention.

There is a depth buffer detection mod that has made its way into official Reshade releases which allows for getting buffer access and running effects like MXAO in games where it used to be impossible, but it's only for D3D backends. If the same were done for openGL, it might provide a way to finally getting MXAO to work in new GlideN64 versions. There's plenty of time between now and the textures being done for these issues to get worked out.

Knight45

That could be why. I was using Project64 2.2 since I don't have access to this development build, I didn't even know they still did those. I tried searching for this GlideN64 Naboo alpha 1 but didn't find it, I could only find version 3.0 and some other experiment one about soccer or something. But from testings it just Project64 doesn't work at all with Reshade 3 and has severe issues with GlideN64 3.0. I got Reshade 3 to pop up but no shaders are loaded, not even in the Reshade 3 menu it's blank. On top of all that, GlideN64 crashes when loading your texture pack, I get an error and the game just crashes.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nerrel

Here is how the mountain area is looking (the trees need a little more work). It made more sense to do the thawed version first, then the snowy one, so they're both pretty far along:

A lot of earlier textures used photos which don't fit into the game very well and need to be replaced, so I'm drawing from scratch more in the first place (the bushes in the last shot were redrawn to replace a weed photo I had been using). I also redid the item buttons again based on the feedback from earlier (not sure if this is better) and drew new quivers, since I think the ones I had been using weren't official renders and were instead from a deviantart page.

I dirtied up the Zora poster a little, made the guard look a little older and pointier, and found there were a half dozen town textures that I forgot to finish, so hopefully those all look better:
44996402182_271076fafb_o.png

43234061200_4017671d84_o.jpg

44997109522_50d389ec47_o.png

I'm going to try using google to host the pack from now on since Mega gave me a takedown notice last time and has been giving me problems uploading. I'm also working on a quick tutorial video that will also generally go over what the pack is, since a lot of people on youtube have asked for that.

As a 3D character artist, I would have a technical question if you don't mind - just out of curiosity. How does the texture mapping work exactly?

From the ripped N64 model, Deku Link's UVs are scattered on a 128x128 map
wgISDHl.jpg

Do you mind if I ask what you're working on the models for? I tried dumping a few to experiment but the process seems really tricky since the models aren't in a format that a lot of programs can understand. If you have any time to explain the basics of getting N64 model edits done I'd appreciate it.

Last edited:
OP
N

Nerrel

This is a quick update for a video tutorial I did and a few changes based on the feedback it's gotten. I don't think anyone here needs a guide, but it has a few areas that I haven't posted videos of yet like Clock Town and Snowhead. I didn't want to narrate it but text boxes proved too distracting:

Most of the feedback has been specifically about the hearts and Link's eyes, so here are some second drafts of those. The old hearts used clip art while the new ones were drawn to match the original shape and the borders now cut into the upgraded hearts when quarter damage is taken like in the original:
45214887232_6c23530f0e_o.gif

45214887252_3eb851b8c5_o.gif

The new eyes are sized and shaped a little more like the originals while still resembling the art. They still need some work, but they don't look at bizarrely intense as the first draft does in comparison. The little spark that circles the clock was also drawn to replace the flare effect used before:
30326162887_aa88c33681_o.png

Stalfos King

Nerrel fan
Those eyes are looking a lot better. I've been testing the pack a bit, and other than the eyes, my main complaints, while minor, are with the coloring of both deku link and hylian link. In the original, hylian link's belt and scabbard strap are almost as red as the gilded sword's scabbard. His boots are also a lot darker. I know it's kind of a trivial detail, but it's just kind of off-putting to me for some reason (the boots slightly more so than the straps). Deku link's boots and gloves look a bit too shiny in my opinion and look much lighter than the original as a result. Deku link's hair is also a greenish yellow in the original, while the new one looks purely yellow. In the original game, I had always seen his hair as some kind of rough leaf and his skin as bark (his skin looks a little bit like fine-grain wood). His eyes also look a bit redder in the original. Deku link's mouth is also a bit yellow, but this is probably the most minor difference in my opinion. Again, sorry for such nitpicky criticism, but the original is very close to my heart so these little things bother me more than they should. Overall, I can't express how happy I am to have discovered this pack! It's obvious you really know what you're doing, and this is shaping up to be the definitive way to play the game. Thank you for your hard work!

Stalfos King

Nerrel fan
The past couple days, I've spent many hours revisiting Termina to come up with a more comprehensive list of feedback. I have to say, running around Clock Town, Termina Field, the Southern Swamp, and what's complete of Snowhead, I was impressed beyond measure! You've captured the essence of the original vision so well, it feels exactly like I remember it but so much clearer and prettier! Clock Town looks fantastic (I really love what you did with the posters and shop signs around town in particular), the Astral Observatory is stunning, Termina Field feels more magnificent and imposing than ever, the swamp scenery is gorgeous and fantastical, and you can almost feel the cold air at Snowhead. Everything looked gorgeous, but nothing stood out particularly because everything looks so close to the original. So much so, in fact, that turning off the pack to compare was actually quite jarring; the pack really started to feel more like the original than the original, in a sense! I also really love what you did with the HUD and menus in general; the pause screen looks amazing, and the use of official art gives it a very authentic, polished feel, and the in-game HUD follows the original very closely while feeling much cleaner. I found the use of the pixelated font for item quantity a really cool and fitting nod to the original, as well. I absolutely LOVE your work so far, and I can't wait until this is done! I really think this will become the definitive way to play the game! :D
Anyway, gushing aside, I do have a list of criticisms. Some of them are pretty nitpicky, but nostalgia is a strong force; anything off stands out like a sore thumb. In no particular order:
- Link's retexturing (as I mentioned before). I can definitely see that you're leaning towards the concept art. However, being honest, the concept art and in-game style are two very different directions in the first place, so personally, I don't see a need to follow the concept art (the original developers certainly didn't). The artwork link's face is extremely different, his tunic is a neon green, and there's a unique lighting style. Not only does this not fit well with the rest of the game in my opinion, but it's impossible to faithfully recreate anyway. I think I speak for many when I say I would really prefer a faithful recreation of the original in-game link. Even things like the changed belt, strap, and boot colors are jarring to those used to the original. Link's new eyes also look very out of place (though the redone ones look a bit better). I would personally prefer a recreation of the original eye textures (though his eyes are admittedly weird looking in the original) just because I am biased toward the original. Deku Link's boot and glove colors are also too shiny and bright in my opinion, and his new, wooden Deku Pipes look strange. I would again prefer the original, brass pipes.
- The new breakable pot texture gives an almost concrete-like impression.
- The new bobblehead cow head texture looks really out of place with the body. The original gives an impression of being crafted out of paper or wood, resulting in its blocky shape. I think a blockier, bigger head would be more fitting.
- The newly drawn gilded sword icon looks great, but kind of gives the impression of being airbrushed; it's slightly blurry and lacks sharpness/cleanness compared to other icons.
- Some mask icons have very slightly unclean edges (this could just be a product of the icons being higher-res than my 1080p screen can fully display), such as the Romani and Stone masks.
- The newly drawn Anju's grandmother icon is also very official looking, but looks a bit less sharp and clean than the other character artwork.
- Some select textures look a bit gritty and overdetailed (might look better on a 4K display), such as the some grass (laundry pool, outside area of Zora Cape, thawed mountain village), carpet in milk bar, jars on the milk bar counter
- Orange dots on map were originally square (like treasure chests)
- Cuttable grass looks lighter/more white in the original. Also, maybe it could be a little pointier(?)
- The vats of liquid in the milk bar look more like marble than liquid
- The Majora's Mask image on the balloons (i.e the one Jim tries to pop) looks too shiny and perfect, almost like it was printed out.
- The title screen logo, particularly the word "Zelda" looks jaggedy and distorted at 1080p.
- Some minor textures have slightly different color palettes than the original (i.e the tree in the swamp shooting gallery)
- The owl icons that appear when choosing a teleport location look very out of place.
- Font on the action icon (i.e "attack") looks off, though I admittedly got used to it fast
- The world map on the pause screen looks almost like the sharpness has been turned too high, chromatic aberration is visible (unsure if this is intentional)
- There is some stretching on the world map and a seam on the treble cleff on the pause screen (these were present originally, but is it possible to correct?)
- The font on the clock that tells what day it is looks a bit unclean, as does the clock in general
- Effects from hitting an enemy with a light arrow looks a bit like electricity; perhaps too many prongs?
- The pine/evergreen tree needles give a lighter impression in the original
- The dark part of the holes on the walls inside Clock Town looks possibly too light; gives the impression they were spray-painted onto the wall (I'm not sure what these holes are, honestly)
Again, these are pretty nitpicky, so I apologize, but I really love Majora's Mask and your project, so I can't help but give my harshest feedback in hopes of improving what looks like it will be the definitive edition.
Also, just as a very random side-note, is it possible to correct the lens of truth's screen overlay and button overlay for widescreen?
Thank you so much for remastering my favorite game of all time! It's a dream-come-true.

OP
N

Nerrel

Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts, I made some changes based off that list. The title logo seems to be an issue with new GlideN64 builds. The top is how it looked in GlideN64 2.0 and the bottom is the newest build, which I assume is the same as what you're seeing. There was a 2D specific branch merged recently and that may have caused it:

The masks had junk lines because I found them on a white background and must not have gotten rid of it completely. I found higher res sources with alpha backgrounds for every mask and so I replaced almost all of them and touched them up to reduce the most obvious polygon points:
43493299300_5e954ff9ea_o.png

I tried a number of options for the action buttons and that font was the only one that worked for me. The original has a goofy hand scribbled style that doesn't seem to be any actual font (I did find a file for it, but it was pixelated and pretty much useless), so by necessity those prompts are going to have to be something different. I still like the font I chose but I have since found others used in the original game that might also work. Here are the two fonts used in the boss names, the bottom one being a decent match:
30369619517_87b1a63407_o.png

I think some of the changes might just be jarring to people because its something different than they're used to, so I'd much rather give people time to judge it than go through the work of replacing every prompt only to end up with another font that people don't like. But if I had to replace it now, I'd use that bottom font.

A lot of the textures are being replaced as I go along, specifically the ones that really stand out as photos. The grass will probably all be drawn by hand before the pack is done. I didn't even have a graphics tablet when I started, so I couldn't do nearly as much and relied on texture libraries more. The lens of truth can't be replaced though, since it gets distorted badly when a custom texture is loaded.

- Link's retexturing (as I mentioned before). I can definitely see that you're leaning towards the concept art. However, being honest, the concept art and in-game style are two very different directions in the first place, so personally, I don't see a need to follow the concept art (the original developers certainly didn't).

There's a lot of room for argument about Link. There's no such thing as a 100% faithful update, even when trying to exactly match the original texture, because I have to fill in the missing details according to my judgement about what should be there. My imagination leaves a mark on every texture whether I want to or not.

With Link, the old texture has eyes that are fixed upward in a way that doesn't often make sense and it's hard to tell whether the spike on the sides of his eyes is an eyelash or some kind of extension of his eyelid. I can't really redraw it unless I have a firm grasp on what it's supposed to be like, and that's where the concept art comes in. It lets me know what the starting point was for the original artists.

Looking at OoT's Link and the concept art, the model they ended up with is obviously very crude. They had to abandon a ton of detail and in Miyamoto's words the system struggled with the most basic technical hurdles. That Link wasn't the one the developers wanted- it's the one the system allowed for. Remaking it based off the in-game model wouldn't really make sense in an upgrade process where the goal is to add detail and go beyond the limitations of the original system, since you'd just to be recapturing those limitations, which is why OoT 3D went back to the art for reference. I've seen people say they prefer the old model, but OoT3D Link is how the developers would have made him look if they had been able at that time:
ocarina-of-time-young-link.png
41O7GhxxiUL._SY355_.jpg
Young_Link_3D.png

With the expansion pack Majora's Mask was able to add some of those missing details but the model was still really crude, I assume they differed from the art just because they still couldn't pull off those details in a way that looked good and went for something simpler. MM3D then neglected that art and instead copy+pasted OoT3D's Link over, so you don't really get the different attitude seen in Link's face in the art there either.

So without either version capturing that, to me it makes sense in every way to try to reference the art instead of the original texture. Some things still can't be done, but it's possible to get a lot closer, especially if model editing yields results. I made more tweaks and reshaped the eyes to the point where they have the same basic shape as the original, but the style is still based on the art:
43493299760_05e7364fd2_o.png

I also have to consider what the newer games do when hardware doesn't limit the artists much anymore. That big-eyed look in the art is pretty consistent across the later games; that's just what Zelda eyes look like:
-1493699542.jpg

87a74513d6973aa223175da2e8214aeeaa0284a8_00.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Mrtoad883

I think what you did with his eyes is perfect. Your original version looked too intense, but I think with the tweaks he now has a more determined look, if you will. Just my opinion but for me it looks excellent. Keep up the good work!