Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Any thoughts on using Deep Learning AI to simply up-res the original textures? Obviously there's more control when doing it yourself, but what could be more faithful than the original textures? I'd understand this is a completely different project idea entirely anyway.

Just looking at this (https://www.pcgamer.com/ai-neural-ne...-7-a-makeover/) made me think of texture packs in general.

I used this free website called Teonite to try it out on some Majora's Mask textures, so I've attached the results to this post.
    Definitely needs some fine tuning, or a different website to get it done better... but it's something!

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1897.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	9.3 KB 
ID:	40205   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1897-enhanced.jpg 
Views:	99 
Size:	76.1 KB 
ID:	40206  
    Last edited by YDG; January 22nd, 2019 at 11:55.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I've been keeping an eye on the results of those scalers but they don't seem to work with such low resolution textures. The textures don't have the detail to extract in the first place. I think the only cases where it would work would be the carnival of time storybook images which are 240x320, but whether it would hold up at 1440p or 4k is hard to say. I'm planning on trying to paint those from scratch, if I can't get good results maybe I could fall back on a scaled version.

Krypton, I assume you're using a different region's ROM. The pack will only change the text for the US version of the game, I don't have any other versions to work with and can't really translate every language. The Dolphin community pack is making progress with that, maybe there will eventually be translations for every language based on the textures from this pack.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nerrel View Post
    I've been keeping an eye on the results of those scalers but they don't seem to work with such low resolution textures. The textures don't have the detail to extract in the first place. I think the only cases where it would work would be the carnival of time storybook images which are 240x320, but whether it would hold up at 1440p or 4k is hard to say. I'm planning on trying to paint those from scratch, if I can't get good results maybe I could fall back on a scaled version.
    Ah I didn't know that the original had to be a considerable size to begin with, well now I know! Definitely could be useful for the story book images then, it's worth a look. Perhaps I'll see if I can get a hold of that texture and run it through Teonite (it'll be some time though).

Also great work on your new video! I think you've got the potential to become really popular with these game analysis videos, they're very interesting, well written and just plain entertaining to watch.

[EDIT]
    Hm okay for some reason this one converted very quickly! Not the best results, I've attached it to this post. I think the colour space is a factor to consider, you can see a chequerboard effect.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by YDG; January 25th, 2019 at 10:50.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hey Nerrel,

Yoooo thank you for taking the time to create this fascinating update to this wonderful game! It really is a good throwback and now i can see it in HD back like i thought it was when i was 8 ahah but I was wondering how far into the game do you have textures completed? I started playing in early December when i found out you were working on this and after getting it to work i've been grinding away! ahah but i just finished the Pirates Fortress area and i did notice some textures that were stretched out and others that just looked like solid colors. Could something be wrong with my settings or is that just because you haven't completed those textures?
    Because if you haven't done the textures into the whole Zora Hall and the Great Bay Temple part of the game i'd like to wait until you are done to fully appreciate it all lol

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hello Nerrel and thank you for your great work on this,
    I saw your comment about the pre-rendered bacgrounds of Zelda OOT, and remembered the news in resetera about using neural networks software to improve game low res texture quality by yourself with ESRGAN upscaling

since Im new to the forum Im still not allowed to put urls, as soon as I can I'll put the links and the images

They also used it with one of Zelda OOT pre rendered background and made it 4x with really good detail

And also in the thread you can see they tested with some other Zelda OOT textures.

im just telling you because if redoing the pre rendered backgrounds was the worst time consuming task for OOT, this cloud be a simpler way, and most of the textures would already by done by your actual work (or so I hope, based on how Majoras Mask was done reusing assets)

Best Regards

- - - Updated - - -

ESRGAN HD Zelda OOT pre rendered backgroud:
    https://i.imgur.com/5p8GEn1.jpg

original Zelda OOT prerendered background:
    https://i.imgur.com/DG2yljM.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

here is the ESRGAN post:
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/ai-...ourself.88272/

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rubenjavier View Post
    Hello Nerrel and thank you for your great work on this,
    I saw your comment about the pre-rendered bacgrounds of Zelda OOT, and remembered the news in resetera about using neural networks software to improve game low res texture quality by yourself with ESRGAN upscaling
    That's kinda what we've been talking about in the last few posts. Since it works best on larger textures (like pre-rendered backgrounds) we can only realistically use it for the story book images in Majora's Mask (and maybe some icons like the title screen logo). In my previous post I tried to upscale one of the story book images and, as you can see, there's a chequerboard effect which I assume is due to the low colour space.

For smaller textures it doesn't really do much other than smooth some edges and give an overpowered sharpen effect (like in the next previous post I made with the moon textures).

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Hi I think you missunderstood, thats exactly what I was pointing out
    That the pre rendered background textures in OOT are large enough to use the ESRGAN upscaling and get an awesome result, look at the examples I provided.

Nerrel told in December that one of the reasons for not doing OoT was that the pre rendered backgrounds would be very frustrating to deal with, but with this ESRGAN upscale method, it seems like there is a good way to deal with the backgrounds, leaving just the 3D assets and most of those are shared between Zeldas... so maybe... just maybe there could be a future OoT project after Majoras is finished

this pre rendered background from OoT is 4x the original with ESRGAN and the detail is amazing, check the stones, the sky and the water opening the image in fullscreen

- - - Updated - - -

More examples of OoT prerendered backgrounds upscaled:
    I urge you to see them oppened in a new tab al 100%
    The results are amazing

- - - Updated - - -

Those images are on page 20 of the thread onESRGAN I mentioned, alongside their original versions:
    https://www.resetera.com/threads/ai-....88272/page-20
    Last edited by rubenjavier; January 27th, 2019 at 10:20.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    I appreciate the posts about the AI scaling, but it doesn't change much for me. The prerendered backdrops would still be a pain because of the way they need to be split up in order to be read by the emulator, and those upscaled shots would still need some manual cleanup. AI scaling is a big step forward for those sorts of backdrops, but there are a lot of other reasons why I don't want to do OoT. The textures in general seem like they may be badly stretched in a way that could make it harder to get good results, and I generally like OoT3D enough that I don't have much interest in playing the original version.

A lot of my textures can be ported to OoT and I'm willing to help out a little if someone wants to work them in, but I don't think I'm ever going to do a full pack for it myself. I'd be much more inclined to do one for the 3D version in Citra if it gets support for custom textures. I basically feel the complete opposite way about OoT3D that I do about MM3D.

The scaling could be used in MM for the story images, but I plan to repaint them and maybe extend the canvas to fill a 16:9 display. There are things I want to try there that upscaling alone won't do.
    Last edited by Nerrel; January 28th, 2019 at 17:43.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Just letting everyone know here that the Zelda 64 HD Project over at the Dolphin forums (https://forums.dolphin-emu.org/Threa...2-1-2018-03-27) fully intends to support both Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask for the Virtual Console and GameCube. These AI-scaled background and other assets for Ocarina of Time aren't necessarily wasted, and I am more than willing to incorporate these into Dolphin's Zelda 64 HD project. One thing is for sure, I am not going to rework all these backgrounds all by myself. It is simply just too much.

It might be an interesting idea. Replacing some of the assets for Ocarina of Time with Majora's Mask's textures. Through a lot of textures are already shared by both games.

Yeah, I am one of those few who prefers the original console version rather than the 3DS handheld port. Even with all the improvements the 3DS port brings, it still is tailored to a handheld experience. I am rather traditional and I prefer to stick to consoles and PC instead.
    Last edited by Admentus; January 28th, 2019 at 20:12.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Está completo esse pacote de textura? Obrigado!

Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 513141516 LastLast