What's new

Is there a solution to fix Gauntlet legends graphic errors on PJ64?

RetroPs1Guy95

I heard that many people sometimes have problems with Project 64. Some of the games tend to struggle to run properly. Don't get me wrong, I like this emulator to death and it does run pretty well on system default emulation settings and the "well known" N64 games that were good for it's time in the 90's and early 2000's. Aside from that, what it comes to rather "unusual games" released on the N64. I'm having an issue with the emulator not handling the graphics very well. I saw some threads that had mixed problems across the board with gauntlet legends not having the correct textures loading in properly. I tried to switch different graphic software plugins. I used Glide 64 first, but I had the same issues as before but the screen turns black after when I hit "Start game" which normally takes you to the 4 player character select screen. The second last plugin that came with the Project 64 emulator which is system default for the emulator "JabosDirect3D8" I'm currently using the "1.7.0.57 version 5" updated version as of June 29th of 2017. When I used that, it made it a little bit better but still graphical issues can be seen largely. It did load the 4 player character select screen but whenever I start the game it loads a small portion of the hub area which means the floor and fencing textures can be seen. But most of the textures are blacked out or missing mostly but, I do see moderate amount of flickering. Can this be an issue where the video plugins that don't realize the need to fix the graphics values? Or could it be the game itself not rendering properly I got 2 different copies of the game from different websites but they still share the same problem. Can somebody please explain to me how to fix this issue that I've been stuck on for almost a week. That would be much appreciated :D.

Thanks,
-RetroPs1Guy95

Last edited:
OP
R

RetroPs1Guy95

Yes I have, but the plugin itself doesn't work properly. All it does is make the screen go black after when I hit "Start game" I did try to look for advice on videos but they don't show you how to install the video plugin properly they also said try using Rice's video plugin instead, I don't know if it's only a Mupen 64 video plugin. Which I don't know how to put in the right folder I tried putting in the GFX file of Project 64 but it said access denied as extracting the RAR file to the destination folder (Project 64's GFX folder). Glide 64 has similar problems with Jabo'sDirect3D8 but it makes the screens load properly there are still textures missing and a moderate amount of flickering. Some textures I can see in the hub world are the floor, fencing, level platforms and some parts of the decoration in the hub area. Could it be the emulator itself making issues or the graphic software making errors with certain textures? Here's my perspective, It's weird that gauntlet legends has a description that describes the reasoning of the fault in the Project64 game list menu: "Issues (Mixed): Missing;various" for both video plugins, which in fact I did refresh the emulator multiple times with loading different video plugins. What would you suggest doing for fixing this problem?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
You said something about "access denied" when trying to extract a RAR file? Have you installed Project64 under Program Files or some such? If so, you shouldn't do that, install it under your own user folder where you should have full permissions.

The part of the game list that tells you of possible issues does not change when you switch graphics plugins. It simply tells you if there are any issues with the game if you run it with the default plugins. What settings did you use when you tried Glide64? Did you change something or go with the default settings?

Last edited:
OP
R

RetroPs1Guy95

Nope I put everything default on the emulator and I didn't also mess with the graphics plugin settings either. After when I saw your recent reply, I did what you asked by extracting the emulator's folder on my desktop and thankfully I have all the permissions to put in any plugin. Now I saw my problem, it looked like I accidentally forgot to put the emulator file on my desktop it was in the program files in my computer the whole entire time. So I deleted the one in the program files and reinstalled the emulator and I put it on my desktop and it worked. Thanks for telling me that! I completely forgotten that's what I should've done before doing the extracting on the setup wizard. (I'm not a first time user by the way, I'm used to this.) Now with all that out of the way, a lot of people suggested using rice's video (graphics) plugin for emulating the game. What do you recommend (in terms of graphic plugins) I should use to make Gauntlet Legends work properly?

Last edited:

Agozer

I haven't tried Castlevania Legends in a long while (nit much of a fan of it), so I don't remember exactly what kind of issues I had with it. Anyway, as fas as Glide64 is concerned, you should have least enabled Fog, Buffer Clear on Every Frame, Hardware Framebuffer emulation, Software Depth Buffer Rendering, Buffer Swapping Method: New (or Hybrid), LOD Calculation: Fast (or Precise).

If a game doesn't work or display properly with these settings, then I get rid of the game.

OP
R

RetroPs1Guy95

Okay, I tried the settings. But it kinda of worked but still unplayable. When I go to start the game is still had the same problem and I also forgot to mention the kind of glitchy audio at the start of this thread. Whenever it's trying to load the character select screen. There's a blue and white striped screen whenever I go to the character select in gauntlet legends. I appreciate you trying to help me agozer. I might wait for the developers of project 64 and the plugin developer's side to update the issues in the graphics plugin department of the emulator.

Thanks for the support,
Ps1RetroGuy95

Last edited:

Agozer

You can also try enabling "read every frame", and see if that changes things for the better, although this will probably slow the game down considerably.

OP
R

RetroPs1Guy95

I tried that feature it didn't do anything sadly I'm sorry to say. :( thanks for your help by the way

Last edited: