What's new

student-made games on arcade controls?

Grit9

High School CS Teacher
My students and I are making an arcade cabinet to run student-made games (not emulate retro games). We've got the hardware wired up and working to the point we can control our games with the joystick & buttons when we launch them in Windows 10.

The REAL goal is to be able to just flip on the power strip, and there's an interface controllable WITHOUT mouse/keyboard, only the arcade controls that students can launch any student game.

It will become a "museum piece" in the classroom (I teach CS and game design) that allows future students to play previous students' games.

Hardware:
We're using Ultimarc arcade controls (joysticks, buttons) with an IPAC Ultimate I/O board.

Software
We use Gamemaker Studio to make the games, which is capable of exporting single runtime exe's or installed exe's (as well as a host of other platform export options but I'm guessing exe's the best choice?)

Any ideas on how to set this up so that with a pc inside the arcade cabinet, the whole experience is arcade controlled, no mice/keyboard?

microdev