Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Open Source?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Tux Open Source?

Greetings:

Am I correct in my assumption that Demul is closed-source? I haven't been able to find any source code repos on the web and not much source info is searchable here on the forums.

If Demul is closed-source only, have there been talks about opening it up to the community?

Just looking for confirmation. Don't thrash me too hard. Thanks.

Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Hello. Yes, Demul is closed source only. No, they won't open it at all. Cheers!
    Model: MacBook Pro with a Retina, Mid 2014 (Purchased in March 28, 2015) -- macOS Sierra 10.13.3
    CPU: 2.6 GHz Intel Core i5
    Memory: 8 GB 1600 MHz DDR3
    Graphic Card: Intel Iris 1536 MB

iPhone 6+ - iOS 11.1.2

Demul developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    from beginning Demul was open source, it's sources was published on sourceforge.
    but there was no any interest from anyone, so it becomes 'private playground'.

community ? have no idea that you talking about, haven't seen any.
    Last edited by MetalliC; December 1st, 2016 at 14:37.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the confirmation.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I found one project on Google Code, nothing on SourceForge.
    Assuming the current closed source code is based on the Google Code project, Demul being closed-source and still having releases is in violation of the GNU GPL.

Basically, if you use GPL code, and you release binaries, you also have to release your modified source code.

Demul developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    feeling yourself Universe justice or smth ? please find another playground.

Basically, rights owners of the code, like in this case Wind or me or few other persons, may do whatever they want - release code under GPL or BSD today, make it closed source next day, release it under WTF/PL days later or license to someone for commercial usage, or anything else because it is theirs property.

so, please. stop talking about things you do not have any idea about
    Last edited by MetalliC; April 15th, 2018 at 11:35.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    So you're saying you're one of the original developers, back when it was on Google Code?
    If that's true, then fine, there's no GPL violation here. But if you took up development and didn't obtain actual ownership of the original code...

- - - Updated - - -

Of course, considering the current political climate, you may want to consider going back to open-source anyway. Between Trump being a short-sighted ******* that may try (and ultimately fail; thankfully there are safeguards in place to prevent that from happening just on his say-so) to embargo Russian software, and Putin being a long-sighted ******* that wants to rule the world with an iron fist (not to mention Russia's very old reputation for malware), pretty soon a Russian closed-source software project is going to be regarded with extreme suspicion by Westerners.
    Then again, considering your attitude, it does seem that you wouldn't give a damn about anything like that, and you wouldn't give a damn if 75% of your user base suddenly switched to an inferior emulator like Reicast because we don't feel like we can trust you to not knowingly spread malware.

Demul developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    in general - it is not your business. who you think you are to judge or condemn someone's actions ?

Demul is pure hobby private R&D project. I'm personally doesn't give a f*ck about user base, popularity and everything like that.
    Last edited by MetalliC; April 15th, 2018 at 13:35.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    You know, Demul could have been great.It could have been ported to Linux, Android, MacOS, iOS and whatever else. Its performance could have been optimized and maybe someday even run on SBCs. It could have been added to RetroArch and become one of the best supported cores. It could have received improved shaders and custom frontends to power home-made arcades. But it won't be any of those things because the closed source basically stops all those possibilities from existing.

The emulation community is very different today compared to what it was years ago. We now have strong projects that did not exist or were not mature at that time. And Naomi+Atomiswave emulation is still one of the most requested ones around. So if the code is opened it can still happen.

I don't know how someone can think that a closed, hobby, private whatever project that will always burden one single person (and will be left to rot once there is no more time/interest - or worse, after a burnout) is a more interesting goal than being open to outside contributions even if most are small and we have to wait a long time before the big ones come. But I hope someday you can change your mind. Your code deffinitely would be very well-received by the emulation community.

Demul developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    good fantasy story, I've laughed a lot, thanks for that.

meanwhile in real life:
    - lxdream, NullDC, Reicast - open source but all dead, was developed by original author(s) only, no any 3rd party contributions (except for non significant cosmetics).
    - Redream - same as above, except not dead but became close source few month ago, because of: no any benefits (no 3rd party developer contributions) and conflict with RetroLeech/LeechRetro.

so, unlike your fantasies (or lie), in real life there is no any benefits for Dreamcast emulation project from becoming FOSS. moreover it looks like graveyard instead. there is also no any "emulation community" at all, I mean developers interested in DC/NAOMI/etc emulation.
    Last edited by MetalliC; April 21st, 2018 at 01:07.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast