Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Open Source?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Funny thing is I was going to ask why did no one took the reins of nulldc and other projects that are already open source? That bothered me for a long time. Here I was thinking that NullDC was going to keep going strong that the source code got released, but the only thing that happened was some kind of GD-ROM audio bug being fixed since it affected games like Shenmue and Expendable. That was the only thing that happened since then.

Last edited by Yugi; April 28th, 2018 at 20:44.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Bad luck probably.
    Is fine to think that open source is more an hassle than a good source of improvement for who owns and is already proficent with the code.
    Is also true that opensource is the only way for other people to get interest and passion.

I perfectly understand metallic and other authors not opening the code for one or many reasons that are probably private and should stay private.

But saying that OS is not worth is wrong.
    I'm an OS developer and i can confirm no one comes and help me more than comes and ask for help, but is also true that i embraced an abandoned project, i learned, i gave it other 4 years of life and counting, while if it stays close source it will finishes when the passion of the original authors finishes

Starting a dreamcast emu from scratch is 100 times harder than contributing to a working one, fresh eyes on problem often brings new opportunities of fixes. And people learn to write code.

Is also fine to be not so open to it and using your precious free time to code something and release it as an executable, is still something that you do for free and other can benefit
    Last edited by andreabogazzi; May 2nd, 2018 at 12:58.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12