What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Getting 2D elements to look smooth in 3D games

OP
A

andykara2003

I followed the instructions on this page to make sure my account is an administrator account: http://www.windowscentral.com/how-change-user-account-type-windows-10

Then I logged out of windows 10 and back in to as requested to finalise setting the account to administrator.

And I redownloaded 'Nesplayer SM64 hud Up.zip', and the same thing happened

The strange thing is that the zip file will extract fine normally when on a folder on the desktop. As soon as I put it in C:/Program Files (x86)/Project64 2.2 (or anywhere on C:/), though, it firsts asks me for permission to transfer 'Nesplayer SM64 hud Up.zip' to that location (which I accept) and from then on won't unzip.

I tried running 7zip from the exe and it in the folder structure it showed 'program files' but not 'Program Files (x86)' which maybe the problem as 7zip doesn't seem to recognise that location.

Would the answer be to unzip the 'Nesplayer SM64 hud Up.zip' file on a folder on the desktop and then manually transfer the relevant folders/files to the 'C:/Program Files (x86)/Project64 2.2' folder? If so, can I as where to put those files/folders?

Last edited:
OP
A

andykara2003

So I:

1: copied hirez_texture to C:/Program Files (x86)/Project64 2.2/Plugin/GFX

2: To be safe, redownloaded Super mario 64 (USA) and unzipped it to get Super Mario 64 (USA).n64. Put this in the Roms directory

3: Double checked the GlideN64 plugin is selected for the graphics plugin.

4: Under 'Configure graphics plugin' in settings, selected 'textures' and ticked the 'use texture pack' and 'Use alpha channel fully' options

5: When I haven't selected 'Use texture pack', the game loads up fine. When I select 'Use texture pack', the emulator crashes. Tried this a few times & it always crashes when 'Use texture pack' is selected.

My thoughts:

1: I wondered if the file name of the rom should be the same as the name of the folder that contains the images in the hirez_texture folder - i.e. 'SUPER MARIO 64' - so I changed it to the same name but same result.

2: The image files are in C:/Program Files (x86)/Project64 2.2/Plugin/GFX/hires_texture/SUPER MARIO 64/NESplayer4life/Upscaled pack/HUD folder. Should the image files be in the C:/Program Files (x86)/Project64 2.2/Plugin/GFX/hires_texture/SUPER MARIO 64 folder instead? [EDIT]: Tried this and it still crashes.

Last edited:
OP
A

andykara2003

I've got 8Gb of ram.

It works with Glide64! Bit of a shame as I was hoping to use GlideN64 for the 2D smoothing it gives the other type of 2D like the background of the Mario 64 startup screen or the Mario kart 64 spalsh screen. Oh well, at least this gives a chance to test the upscaling of the 2D bitmaps and I can get to the bottom of the GlideN64 thing at a later date. Maybe I just need to do a reinstall of Windows 10 or something - something I've been putting off for a while.

I'm spending the evening with one of my daughters tonight (Mario kart 8 session & Lord of the rings movie!) so will try the new bitmaps out tomorrow on the CRT. They look a bit out of place on the LCD monitor but should look better on the CRT I think. I'll get back here asap - & thanks for the help :)

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Just delete Windows 10 use Win 7 ;)
Are you within the OpenGL requirements for GlidN64?
4.0 I think it was.

Last edited:
OP
A

andykara2003

I think I might just I that - I was never quite comfortable with 10.

Sorry - not sure how to check about OpenGL? I'll look into it.

Last edited:
OP
A

andykara2003

Hi there - I finally had a chance to test the upscaled 2D elements & the effect it very positive on CRTs. It didn't look so great on my LCD but CRTs are more forgiving and the elements blended much better than the pixelated originals, to the point where I would be totally fine with them. The only improvements I think would be to carefully blend some of the outer edge of the elements as the edges are still just a touch hard-edged to truly blend in seamlessly but it's very good on a CRT all the same.

The only think was that the power meter isn't working for some reason - but I don't think that's a problem as I get a really good impression from the rest of the elements. Also I can't get Glide64 to do antialiasing for some reason (no option as far as I can see). Again, I don't think this is a problem for the purposes of testing tho.

I guess the ultimate solution would be for someone to painstakingly recreate these elements at higher resolutions and carefully blend them in to the background but that would take a lot of work from a skilled artist - on the other hand, your solution is a massive improvement from the pixelated originals and perfectly acceptable to me on my CRT :)

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
What plugin are you using? what do you see working, how many files load when you start the game? You should have 71.

OP
A

andykara2003

I'm using glide64 - but my PCs in a bit of a mess. I've installed and uninstalled various versions of project 64 and fiddled about with the plugins & textures so much I think it's all got in a bit of a muddle to be honest. I hope you don't mind but I think I'm going to have to let this one go - I'm still getting over the op & the added stress of trying to get my clogged up PC to play ball is doing my head in a bit. I hugely appreciate your input & help in this and I think the project still has a lot of potential but I'm just going to
Have to concentrate on getting better for a bit I think :)

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
Stick with PJ64 1.6. No need to stress about emulation, it's a hobby, not a job.
What do you have for a pc. Specs?

Health meter should fully work now.

Attachments

• Nesplayer SM64 hud Up.7z
    1.5 MB · Views: 269
Last edited:
OP
A

andykara2003

OK no worries - and thanks v. much for the new texture pack. I completely got rid of all N64 emulator installs, files, games etc. and started again fresh - and it works! As you say, there are 72 textures. Off to try it on the CRT this afternoon.

There are a few elements on the main screen that are still the original bitmaps and not upscaled - i.e. the "X" in the life, coin and star counters plus the actual coin in the coin counter but everything else is there.

P.S. I have a Dell E6410 Laptop - specs:

M560 2.67Ghz i5 processor
8Gb memory
NVIDIA NVS 3100M Dedicated Graphics with 512MB VRAM.
Windows 10

P.P.S. Gonetz has just posted that next major release of GlideN64 is imminent: http://gliden64.blogspot.co.uk/2016/11/new-public-release-part-i.html

Last edited:

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
I'll get on that.

Edit:
Select file reworked.

Attachments

• Nesplayer SM64 hud Up.7z
    2.5 MB · Views: 267
Last edited:
OP
A

andykara2003

Nice one - the "X"s still aren't working for some reason :/ Maybe a problem on my end, but I'm thinking if the rest of the textures are working I can't think why those aren't..

I have feedback (hope I'm not being presumptuous here - just thought you'd want the feedback):

The numbers have a line of yellow/orange pixels under them, to varying degrees. (the star in the star counter has this too)

The elements have a line of dark pixels around the outer edges of them that aren't there in the originals & look a bit off to me. On the numbers the pixels are in varying places depending on the number. On the star counter bitmap they're all around the edge to varying degrees. The Mario head bitmap and Lakitu has this line of pixels too - albeit a bit thinner. It's most prevelent in the power meter. Both the meter and the 'power' lettering above has it, mainly to the top and left side edge. The meter itself has them mainly over the top and a little to the left side, and the line is more jagged and pronounced here.

Apart from that it looks fantastic - the bitmaps just need a bit of tidying up to get rid of these dark pixels/lines around them and the yellow/orange lines under the numbers need to be deleted.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
these textures have not been hand modified just upscaled. Feel free to modify them to your liking with photoshop or gimp.
As far as the multiplier (X) they should be working in the next release.
GLideN64_SUPER_MARIO_64_008.gif

Attachments

• GLideN64_SUPER_MARIO_64_008.gif
    GLideN64_SUPER_MARIO_64_008.gif
    308.5 KB · Views: 318
OP
A

andykara2003

Nice one - I think I'll take that on & do it in Photoshop. It might not get done straight away but I think it'll be worth it.

Just a thought - is there anything that can be done about the text in the game? It looks too pixelated on an emulator to me. Would there be a way to upscale it in the same way without it looking bad? I'm wondering if just replacing it with another font might look wrong/out of place.

Last edited:
OP
A

andykara2003

Nice one - I'll clean them up in Photoshop after if they need it.

EDIT: I have a feeling the text might not come out too well with an upscale. Just in case, I'll have a look at other Mario 64 texture packs for a good alternative font - perhaps the creator will let us use it. Also, can any font replace the text? If so I'll hunt around to see if there's anything that's close enough to the original.

Last edited: