What's new

Whatever settings I try games still look pixelated, please help.

KEN1999

I'm using the latest build of Demul 0.7a my PC is a I5-2500K/GTX 660 Windows 7. I'm using the gpuDX11old plugin cause the new one don't work with these options. Anyway I'd liked to make the CAVE shmups less pixelated. I've upped the internal resolution also tried the FXAA and others settings and nothing makes a difference. What am I doing wrong ? I'm using a 800x600 window for the games. My monitor is a 24" 1920x1080p by the way. Thanks

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
It has nothing do with resolution or window size. Furthermore IIRC, FXAA only works well on 3D elements, not sprites. The original games were pixelated. The CRTs used at the time simply masked the pixelation well. Use a large, high resolution flatscreen monitor these days, and you see all the "blemishes" these older games had.

OP
K

KEN1999

That is very good information to know, thank you.

Why don't the authors of the emulator include some type of bilinear filter, I've been using emulators for a long time even mame, zsnes and countless others have some basic softing filter implementation option. I'm hoping authors of this emulator consider it. I do appreciate and I thank them for the hard work they've done.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
One reson I could think of Demul not having these filters is simply because Demul emulates hardware that mainly pushes 3D graphics. These softening filters like 2xSai and the like work on sprites. The majority of games MAME emulates are sprite-based, and of course the same goes with ZSNES and all the other 2D hardware emulators.

OP
K

KEN1999

Yes that makes sense, but it would be nice if they could add the option anyway for the games that are sprited based.

It has many shaders.
you can choose them from the video configuration window.
Btw, why arent you using the new dx11 ng plugin?
It has one of the most important updates in terms of quality emulation and it should work great with your system.(i have the same cpu and a very crappy video card)

OP
K

KEN1999

I guess you're kind of new to this too like me but you can't use those filters with the new GPU plugin only with the old one. And yes I do agree the new plugin works good the old one is a kinda buggy with the filters with my experience with it so far. Also filters are not going to work for sprite based games for example CAVES Shmups.

But I must say that this emulator is awesome being able to play all these games at Mame can't. Demul is probably my second favorite emulator right after Mame. I just wish it had a bilinear type filter, cuz there are quite a few sprite-based games.