Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)

Can't configure controls. Must be doing something wrong.

I am using the latest 0.7a version of demul. But when I go to the control config screen, I can't seem to configure the controls at all. I click on a button on the screen, and it fills in some incomplete joystick axis info. I push buttons on the joystick and there is no change. I even tried to change the "coin" insertion key to another key on the keyboard, but the key doesn't show up on the screen. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong that I can't even change the coin key. Please help.

16-bit Corpse | Moderator Agozer's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Does Windows properly recognize axis changes and all the buttons? Calibrate your joystick/pad just in case.

ElektroDragon: I hate dying over and over. I don't learn from my mistakes. I couldn't play Dark Souls because of this. I bought the Bloodborne Collector's Edition. Like I said, I don't learn from my mistakes!

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Agozer View Post
    Does Windows properly recognize axis changes and all the buttons? Calibrate your joystick/pad just in case.
    It does, and I used the controller with other games but I'll try another controller. The thing is that I can't even change the coin key to another key on the keyboard. Something is fundamenally wrong. I am using Windows 10 x64 by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Potbellypig2000 View Post
    It does, and I used the controller with other games but I'll try another controller. The thing is that I can't even change the coin key to another key on the keyboard. Something is fundamenally wrong. I am using Windows 10 x64 by the way.
    Hmm seems to work with an xbox 360 controller but not with my ps2 controller through an adapter even though the controls show up under Windows 10. Maybe I'll try x360ce with it and see what happens.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Potbellypig2000 View Post

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm seems to work with an xbox 360 controller but not with my ps2 controller through an adapter even though the controls show up under Windows 10. Maybe I'll try x360ce with it and see what happens.
    Okay, I think I know what is happening. With my ps controller connected to an adapter, when you press the button to configure a control, it automatically picks up one of the joystick's axis's. If I happen to press on the keyboard at the same time I click the button, that key will pick up. I searched google, and found about a 3 year old article with someone having the same issue but it wasn't resolved. I tried x360ce but it doesn't seem to help any. The Xbox 360 controller works right. And the PS2 controller works with the Model 2 and Model 3 emulator's perfectly so far. So I am kinda stumped. I might just have to give up on trying on using the PS controller (a neGcon) which I love to use for driving games.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I'm running into the same problem, ever since hooking up my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel.

Whenever I go into demul to change any control setting, the wheel seems to immediately feed it some value which I can't overwrite. Keyboard inputs, X360 pad inputs, nothing works; the wheel auto-supplies a value and demul accepts it immediately.

What I had to do was go and configure demul on ANOTHER computer, then when finished, copy the INI files back to my arcade cabinet. Which is more than a little bit of a pain...

Other input plugins like Lilypad don't have this issue. Are there any alternative input plugins for demul other than padDemul.dll? Maybe ones without this issue?

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Twoflower View Post
    I'm running into the same problem, ever since hooking up my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel.

Whenever I go into demul to change any control setting, the wheel seems to immediately feed it some value which I can't overwrite. Keyboard inputs, X360 pad inputs, nothing works; the wheel auto-supplies a value and demul accepts it immediately.

What I had to do was go and configure demul on ANOTHER computer, then when finished, copy the INI files back to my arcade cabinet. Which is more than a little bit of a pain...

Other input plugins like Lilypad don't have this issue. Are there any alternative input plugins for demul other than padDemul.dll? Maybe ones without this issue?
    Yes, this is the problem. I will re-past your post on the Russian forum, hopefully a dev will see it.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Thank you! Let me know if anything comes of it. It'd be great to get my controls working again in demul!

Demul developer
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    No one from developers have any racing wheel controllers -> can't reproduce problem -> can't fix problem.
    so I'm afraid you are on your own with this problem.

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MetalliC View Post
    No one from developers have any racing wheel controllers -> can't reproduce problem -> can't fix problem.
    so I'm afraid you are on your own with this problem.
    Thank you for you reply. I was thinking of trying to fix the problem using x360ce which replaces the XInput library and can set deadzones. Can you tell me which one it uses? Some examples I have are:

• xinput1_4.dll
    • xinput1_3.dll
    • xinput1_2.dll
    • xinput1_1.dll
    • xinput9_1_0.dll

x360ce makes a custom dll like the ones above. I think if I put the one with the correct name in the demul directory, it might pick that one up. Do you know which dll it uses? Thanks...

EmuTalk Member
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    I figured out the source of (at least my particular version of) the problem.

VJoy. It's a virtual joystick driver which normally is quite well behaved, but seemed to have gotten its little virtual stuck jammed upwards, causing any games which automatically use any controller currently "plugged in" to freak out and hold up as well. That includes Demul, apparently, because once I uninstalled the little ******* Demul was perfectly happy to let me remap anything without issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast