What's new

Can't configure controls. Must be doing something wrong.

Potbellypig2000

I am using the latest 0.7a version of demul. But when I go to the control config screen, I can't seem to configure the controls at all. I click on a button on the screen, and it fills in some incomplete joystick axis info. I push buttons on the joystick and there is no change. I even tried to change the "coin" insertion key to another key on the keyboard, but the key doesn't show up on the screen. I must be doing something fundamentally wrong that I can't even change the coin key. Please help.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Does Windows properly recognize axis changes and all the buttons? Calibrate your joystick/pad just in case.

OP
P

Potbellypig2000

Does Windows properly recognize axis changes and all the buttons? Calibrate your joystick/pad just in case.

It does, and I used the controller with other games but I'll try another controller. The thing is that I can't even change the coin key to another key on the keyboard. Something is fundamenally wrong. I am using Windows 10 x64 by the way.

- - - Updated - - -

It does, and I used the controller with other games but I'll try another controller. The thing is that I can't even change the coin key to another key on the keyboard. Something is fundamenally wrong. I am using Windows 10 x64 by the way.

Hmm seems to work with an xbox 360 controller but not with my ps2 controller through an adapter even though the controls show up under Windows 10. Maybe I'll try x360ce with it and see what happens.

OP
P

Potbellypig2000

- - - Updated - - -

Hmm seems to work with an xbox 360 controller but not with my ps2 controller through an adapter even though the controls show up under Windows 10. Maybe I'll try x360ce with it and see what happens.

Okay, I think I know what is happening. With my ps controller connected to an adapter, when you press the button to configure a control, it automatically picks up one of the joystick's axis's. If I happen to press on the keyboard at the same time I click the button, that key will pick up. I searched google, and found about a 3 year old article with someone having the same issue but it wasn't resolved. I tried x360ce but it doesn't seem to help any. The Xbox 360 controller works right. And the PS2 controller works with the Model 2 and Model 3 emulator's perfectly so far. So I am kinda stumped. I might just have to give up on trying on using the PS controller (a neGcon) which I love to use for driving games.

Twoflower

I'm running into the same problem, ever since hooking up my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel.

Whenever I go into demul to change any control setting, the wheel seems to immediately feed it some value which I can't overwrite. Keyboard inputs, X360 pad inputs, nothing works; the wheel auto-supplies a value and demul accepts it immediately.

What I had to do was go and configure demul on ANOTHER computer, then when finished, copy the INI files back to my arcade cabinet. Which is more than a little bit of a pain...

Other input plugins like Lilypad don't have this issue. Are there any alternative input plugins for demul other than padDemul.dll? Maybe ones without this issue?

OP
P

Potbellypig2000

I'm running into the same problem, ever since hooking up my Logitech Driving Force GT wheel.

Whenever I go into demul to change any control setting, the wheel seems to immediately feed it some value which I can't overwrite. Keyboard inputs, X360 pad inputs, nothing works; the wheel auto-supplies a value and demul accepts it immediately.

What I had to do was go and configure demul on ANOTHER computer, then when finished, copy the INI files back to my arcade cabinet. Which is more than a little bit of a pain...

Other input plugins like Lilypad don't have this issue. Are there any alternative input plugins for demul other than padDemul.dll? Maybe ones without this issue?

Yes, this is the problem. I will re-past your post on the Russian forum, hopefully a dev will see it.

MetalliC

Demul developer
No one from developers have any racing wheel controllers -> can't reproduce problem -> can't fix problem.
so I'm afraid you are on your own with this problem.

OP
P

Potbellypig2000

No one from developers have any racing wheel controllers -> can't reproduce problem -> can't fix problem.
so I'm afraid you are on your own with this problem.

Thank you for you reply. I was thinking of trying to fix the problem using x360ce which replaces the XInput library and can set deadzones. Can you tell me which one it uses? Some examples I have are:

• xinput1_4.dll
• xinput1_3.dll
• xinput1_2.dll
• xinput1_1.dll
• xinput9_1_0.dll

x360ce makes a custom dll like the ones above. I think if I put the one with the correct name in the demul directory, it might pick that one up. Do you know which dll it uses? Thanks...

Twoflower

I figured out the source of (at least my particular version of) the problem.

VJoy. It's a virtual joystick driver which normally is quite well behaved, but seemed to have gotten its little virtual stuck jammed upwards, causing any games which automatically use any controller currently "plugged in" to freak out and hold up as well. That includes Demul, apparently, because once I uninstalled the little ******* Demul was perfectly happy to let me remap anything without issues.

OP
P

Potbellypig2000

I figured out the source of (at least my particular version of) the problem.

VJoy. It's a virtual joystick driver which normally is quite well behaved, but seemed to have gotten its little virtual stuck jammed upwards, causing any games which automatically use any controller currently "plugged in" to freak out and hold up as well. That includes Demul, apparently, because once I uninstalled the little ******* Demul was perfectly happy to let me remap anything without issues.

I don't have anything like that on my computer. I even tried it on an older Windows 8 machine to no avail. If MetalliC can give me the info on the dll I mentioned above, I'd really appreciate it.

- - - Updated - - -

Ahhh... I figured out the cause of my problem. On my special controller, by default, the z-axis is set to the maximum value and as you move it, it lowers. I could use something like vjoy and ujr to configure a virtual joystick to fix this but I think demul will pick up any controller input so when I connect the joystick, it'll pick up both the real joystick and the virtual joystick. There is no way in demul to specify the controller number to receive input from (I don't think). Anybody have any further ideas? Bseides the dll one I thought of before?

Edit: Just thought of something. Is there a way to get a listing of the axis and button values so I can manually set them myself in the ini file?

Edit2: I thought I finally had this figured out. I used vjoy to create a joystick with a virtual x and y axis and then used the feeder app (test control app that comes with vjoy) to set the variables in the demul config utility. It sets the values to things like JOY0_ANL2_KEY and JOY0_ANL1_KEY for both left/right, up/down respectively which doesn't look right. When you use an xbox 360 controller, they are all separate values. Also when you start the game, the control plugin throws an error. I'm thinking it just doesn't like this type of generic controller. It has to be xbox 360 compatiable controller. If the developers are willing to try out Vjoy, it is reproducable now but I don't know if they have the time to bother with it.

Last edited:

andwan0

i second vouch for a fix for support for direct input controllers.

i have a ps3 to PC convertor ( http www mayflash com Products PCUSB PS3003.html ). it has a xbox/dinput switch. if i use xbox then it only supports 1 controller.
if i use dinput then it allows 4 controllers.

we need dinput for 2-4 controller support.
but demul doesnt recognise dinput

------------------

UPDATE: funny
somehow last night it worked! demul ws able to detect my Dinput controllers so we were able to play with 2 controllers! yippee!!! demul is the best emulator ever!

Last edited: