What's new

Hikaru Internal Resolution

SolivaN

Hi guys,

I've tested Star Wars Pod Racer and it has been emulated very well. Except by the sound and the background of the sky. However, is very impressive look this great game on my computer.

The question is about if is possible to raise the internal resolution of the Hikaru engine.

I've config with my max resolution of my monitor, but the game still run in 640x480

I know that the specs for the Hikaru system is 640x480 - 31 KHz, but the emulation maybe change this (or I think that is possible).

So, have you a ssuggestion for this?

Thanks! :satisfied

Attachments

• demul1.PNG
    demul1.PNG
    31.7 KB · Views: 563
  • demul 2016-04-04 15-46-48-63.jpg
    demul 2016-04-04 15-46-48-63.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 203
  • demul 2016-04-04 15-47-59-02.jpg
    demul 2016-04-04 15-47-59-02.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 352

MetalliC

Demul developer
window size changing is not implemented for Hikaru.
however you can simply switch to fullscreen, in such case your monitor resolution will be used for both rendering and display.

in anyway, at the moment hikaru emulation looks ****ty and not even close to real thing, so it barely can be called "very well"

OP
S

SolivaN

window size changing is not implemented for Hikaru.
however you can simply switch to fullscreen, in such case your monitor resolution will be used for both rendering and display.

in anyway, at the moment hikaru emulation looks ****ty and not even close to real thing, so it barely can be called "very well"

Thanks for the reply, I hope that in the future demul add support for better res in hikaru systems.

See ya :down:

imp

[...] in anyway, at the moment hikaru emulation looks ****ty and not even close to real thing [...]

Could you maybe explain what is missing at the moment? It's obvious the sky textures are missing, but it looks like also some lighting or shading is missing which makes all (background) objects look somehow flat.
I found a capture on Youtube from a real Hikaru machine, it really shows what a difference ligthing can make:

Anakin Easy race
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=034Fpiry51A&feature=youtu.be&t=31

Star Wars Racer Arcade - Gameplay - Demul 0.7 Alpha WIP
https://youtu.be/aVg5J65RHU8?t=15

Last edited:

MetalliC

Demul developer
Could you maybe explain what is missing at the moment?
no, because no one actually knows which exactly graphical features Hikaru GPU have, so we either don't know that is missing ))

but Star Wars Racer is bad example and bad game (in term of Hikaru platform features usage), so emulation flaws not much notable, except missing sky texture and blur effects during speed boosts

you'll better look Planet Harriers videos on the same YT channel - it have very nice lighting effects.

imp

no, because no one actually knows which exactly graphical features Hikaru GPU have [...]

So, for better Hikaru emulation, all you need is complete knowledge of the custom GPU? That won't be an easy task... I guess it will take multiple years before we have correct Hikaru emulation.
Is there any development on Hikaru or do you need some 'magic' to crack GPU?

MetalliC

Demul developer
well, its the main problem of any arcade system emulation - lack of any documentation, so everything must be researched and reverse engineered, and that's very complicated and long process in the case of complex systems like Hikaru, NAOMI2, etc
about Hikaru - no one working on it's research now or during past year or two, so there no progress, and it's unknown then it will be, or is it will be at all.