What's new

N64 USB Controller problems

Khurtan

Hey.
I just bought an N64 USB Controller from lightinthebox.
I plugged it in and all buttons seem to work on the pj64-emulator atleast.
What I soon discovered was that the analog stick has the same mapping as the d-pad. Well, thats not to much of a problem, but here it goes:
the analog stick is acting like the d-pad. there is no way to make mario walk when pushing the analog stick gently. either he runs full speed, or he is standing still.
I opened the USB controller settings in windows and went for a calibration. When I move the analog stick, it goes directly from middle to max up / max down / max left / max right / max those in between (see picture).
There is no range. If I change the range to low in the emulator, mario will walk or stand still. If I put the range up high mario will run or stand still.

This controller came with no CD, no actual production-name or anything. Just the controller. The controller has the same buttons as a regular N64-controller and nothing else, so there is no analog/digital-button or anything like that.

I got 2 controllers in the same box, and they both act the exact same way. My guess is that this is a bad copy of the retrolink or something, and they intentially made it this way to save money or something, but if you guys know of any sollution, do not hesitate to post!

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• range.jpg
    range.jpg
    295.4 KB · Views: 1,756

ss4gogeta0

Sorry for the long wait before a reply, anyway as I am sure the OP has since figured out the issue, I want to post an answer for anyone else with a similar issue..

Most N64 USB controllers use Digital input with the joystick instead of Analog, which means that the input is always at maximum no matter how lightly you move the joystick

where as actual N64 controllers are Analog, which means that they are more pressure sensitive unlike their usb counterparts. So that the movement is never 100% and varies due to the amount of pressure used on the joystick. They also tend to be rather fragile and more expensive to make, from what I understand.

Which is why I suggest that people instead buy a N64 controller (preferably made by Nintendo) and a N64-to-USB converter as they tend to work best for emulation.

hopefully that helps you and anyone else with the same question.

- Ss4gogeta0

sarabullock

Sorry for the long wait before a reply, anyway as I am sure the OP has since figured out the issue, I want to post an answer for anyone else with a similar issue..

Most N64 USB controllers use Digital input with the joystick instead of Analog, which means that the input is always at maximum no matter how lightly you move the joystick

where as actual N64 controllers are Analog, which means that they are more pressure sensitive unlike their usb counterparts. So that the movement is never 100% and varies due to the amount of pressure used on the joystick. They also tend to be rather fragile and more expensive to make, from what I understand.

Which is why I suggest that people instead buy a N64 controller (preferably made by Nintendo) and a N64-to-USB converter as they tend to work best for emulation.

hopefully that helps you and anyone else with the same question.

- Ss4gogeta0

nice. no question. was confused little about this.. now solved.. thanks for the post