What's new

PSX texture palettes (Fix)

Giro

Hi everyone! First of all, sorry if this is not the right place to post this.
And sorry for my English, is not my native language.

I have a question about PSX TIM textures.

I used several programs to rip the textures from Silent Hill 1 disc,
but every program extract the TIM file into several png images with different
colors, each image is a different layer and each layer corresponds to a
different color palette, this is an example of one of the textures that i
extracted from the game ISO using ¨JPSXDEC¨ program:

1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

5.png
6.png
7.png
8.png

9.png
10.png
11.png
12.png

13.png
14.png
15.png

As you can see, JPSXDEC converted this TIM file into a several PNG images, it has 15 layers, it looks that
every image has wrong colors, but that´s not correct. Each image has a unique color for
each item, like handgun, cloths, skin etc.

i had to use Photoshop to cut the wrong colors in each layers and then merge
all the layers into a single image to have a full color texture like this:

16.png

My question is, is there any program or tip to fix this automatically and not doing it by hand in Photoshop with every image i extract?

This game has more than 700 TIM files and each TIM file has several textures layers inside, so is a pain to fix every texture by hand.
Thanks in advanced :)

Last edited:

Cyberman

The playstation uses palletes for creating textures. This is one of the reasons people have a hard time making high resolution textures for PS1 games.
The pallete data is stored in multiple locations and that is one of the main reasons it is difficult.
This does however allow the playstation to have reasonably good graphics for it's day considering how simple a machine it was.

I was researching ways to automatically identify such data for HRT (High Resolution Textures) however it wasn't "slam dunk" easy. In fact it was on the "somewhat complicated side".
Anyhow FF9 had a lot of TIMs in it as well. The only method for finding the texture pallete and data is when it is used. Not when it is loaded. A TIM is nothing more than a bitmap (litterally) and how that bitmap data is used is entirely up to the software using it. The pallete data is generate 16bit BGR data, however the texture data can be 4 or 8 bits per pixel. Rarily will you see actual 16bit data as it consumed too much space on the CD hence TIMs were used (because that was the developers library storage method) as block data and the loaded TIM data was stored into display memory. The image was rendered to a different pain err pane (fruedian slip). Some games actually rendered images to other display locations and used those in the PS1 visibible area as textures. (Think mirror affects.)

Anyhow I digress, no easy way as it is completely application dependent how the TIM data palletes are used.

Cyb

BigKong

The playstation uses palletes for creating textures. This is one of the reasons people have a hard time making high resolution textures for PS1 games.
The pallete data is stored in multiple locations and that is one of the main reasons it is difficult.
This does however allow the playstation to have reasonably good graphics for it's day considering how simple a machine it was.

I was researching ways to automatically identify such data for HRT (High Resolution Textures) however it wasn't "slam dunk" easy. In fact it was on the "somewhat complicated side".
Anyhow FF9 had a lot of TIMs in it as well. The only method for finding the texture pallete and data is when it is used. Not when it is loaded. A TIM is nothing more than a bitmap (litterally) and how that bitmap data is used is entirely up to the software using it. The pallete data is generate 16bit BGR data, however the texture data can be 4 or 8 bits per pixel. Rarily will you see actual 16bit data as it consumed too much space on the CD hence TIMs were used (because that was the developers library storage method) as block data and the loaded TIM data was stored into display memory. The image was rendered to a different pain err pane (fruedian slip). Some games actually rendered images to other display locations and used those in the PS1 visibible area as textures. (Think mirror affects.)

Anyhow I digress, no easy way as it is completely application dependent how the TIM data palletes are used.

Cyb

Gpubladesoft 1.44 plugin can replace textures but only subhd for now it seems