What's new

Moving savestates from PC to Android phone

emmylou

Hey hey,

So full disclosure I'm really not tech savvy, so please explain things to me as if you are explaining them to your average elderly person (but also pretend that this elderly person is 20 years old and studying math at one of the most prestigious universities in Canada, I don't want anyone thinking I'm not smart). OK, moving on.
A while ago I got desmume on my PC to carry out my adolescent dream of playing through Pokemon Heartgold (I know this is pretty pathetic, but I was too caught up in perceived gender norms to just ask my parents). I never actually finished playing through because finals hit me and you know how it is. More recently I got drastic on my Nexus 5 and started playing through Pokemon Black, momentarily forgetting about Heartgold. But now I've remembered it and was curious if there is a way to get the Heartgold rom or savestates or whatever from my PC to my phone despite the fact that I'm using different emulators and whatnot. If so, how would I go about doing this? Thanks so much for your help,

Emmylou

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
The only thing that will cause problems is savestates. That is, if you've only used emulator savestates instead of actual in-game save function, then those won't be compatible between emulators.

The rom image itself and in-game saves are very specific types of data that all emulators read the same way (unless emulator glitches come into play). Save states on the other hand save the exact state of the particular emulator when you press that save state button (hence the name). This is why savestates don't work across emulators and often even across different versions of the same emulator.

OP
E

emmylou

So if I've been saving in game the whole time (which I have) then moving the file over is as easy as moving the .nds file that DesMuMe uses to my phone and opening it with DraStic? Or do I have to convert the file format or something like that?

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
If you've always saved your game using the game's own save feature, then simply moving the savefile to your phone should suffice. If you've been saving using DeSmuME's Save State option, then you are out of luck. As far as I know, there is no program that will convert your DeSmuME savestates to work in an another emulator.

Of course you can move the game itself (.nds) to your phone and DraStic should be able to work with it.

Last edited: