What's new

Starting a new website

pylesrm

Hey guys, new here. So I'm starting my own Emu/Rom/Iso site and looking for some direction and/or advice.

1. Obtaining the huge libraries
  2. Art Work
  3. Method of determining rom/iso compability

Thanks guys!

Allnatural

Is this a sneaky way of asking where to download roms/isos? Shouldn't the first questions be: server space needed, design ideas, hosting cost?

What's the ultimate goal here?

OP
P

pylesrm

Is this a sneaky way of asking where to download roms/isos? Shouldn't the first questions be: server space needed, design ideas, hosting cost?

What's the ultimate goal here?

Haha, kinda seems like that doesn't it? My background is in technology. Servers, hosting, networking is what I do for a living so that stuff I had figured out already. Once I download the libraries and get some artwork going I can hit the ground running.

Allnatural

You didn't answer my question. What's your goal?

A few seconds on google is all it took for me to find a handful of sites still hosting roms, and some of those had artwork as well. Not trying to discourage you; just curious as to what you plan to do differently/better?

There used to be far more sites to download from, but most of them shut down either because the copyright holders finally got wise, or they just couldn't afford the huge bandwidth costs. Do you have a game plan for that?

Last edited:
OP
P

pylesrm

The plan is to not take from other sites, at least not the artwork. It might be inevitable that I have to obtain the library's from other sites, but there's definitely no reason I should have to copy and paste artwork. If I just copy everything from another site there's no reason to come to mine. In regards to doing something different or better, I have a couple ideas that'll make a difference but I'm obviously not going to share, and in regards to better, ease of use and site layout. With only one exception that I know about, rom and emulation site layout tends to suck. When it comes to the bandwidth costs of it. That might be my only other hang up. A typical method on these types of sites is offering a premium account with increase download speeds. The platform I'm using to build the site right now, I'm unsure if it has that kind of capability, and if it doesn't that's fine I'll just move on to another one.

So honestly, unless anyone has an idea that I haven't thought of in regards to obtain libraries, the only request I have of the people is some original artwork.