What's new
  • Most issues reported these days stem from users not enabling their emulators to use the required amount of RAM.
    We also tend not to use the search feature but post our issues within the texture pack release page.
    Failure to load a texture pack should not be posted in the release thread unless you have already patched the emulator.

If you don't have the resources to use Large/HD texture packs please do not attempt to do so.
    Users should have a minimum amount of System RAM not less then 4GB's.
    If you have less then 4GB's of RAM do not post about how your emulator crashes,
    RAM is dirt cheap so invest some money into your PC.

I would like to say thanks to squall_leonhart
    for posting this Solution.

Super Mario 64 with Super Mario Galaxy Textures

MadOdorMachine

Hello,

This is my first time posting, but I've been lurking these forums for years. First off, I would like to thank all the members that have contributed not only to their own texture projects, but to the tutorials as well. Without them, doing something like this certainly would have been harder. So again thank you.

Also, before mentioning the changes I've made, I need to give props to Mollymutt as well. Some of the textures I'm using were done by him/her. I don't know if I'll end up using them in the finished package, but if I do I will seek permission and give credit where it's due.

With that out of the way, SM64 is my first attempt at re-texturing. I've always loved this game but I haven't been happy with the graphics for many years now. It's been awhile since I played it, but I think the gameplay still holds up really well - better than SMS imo. The graphics however are an eyesore. Here are some of my goals for this project.

1. N64 emulation brings out the best and worst of the graphics. Try to make it look as good as possible.
2. Stay true to look of the series - particularly the more modern games.
3. Try to improve draw distance and sense of scale.
4. Eliminate and reduce reoccurring textures - particularly ones that cause a scrolling/strobing effect.

I guess I have a vision or I imagine the way the game could look, rather than how it is. As a result, I've made some changes. A lot of it is experimental right now, but I hope others will like the direction I'm trying go. There are certain things (in both the original and DS version) that I've always wished were different. For example, I've never liked the trees in any version of SM64. So this is one of those things I figured I'd work on to try to make the way I imagine might make the game look better. Most of the textures I'm using have been pulled from other Mario games. Ex. SMG, SMG2, NSMB, SMS, MKDD, MKWii, etc.

Naturally I'm running into problems I wasn't expecting, but I guess that's just the nature of the beast. It isn't always as easy as copying and pasting. A lot of textures are also used for multiple surfaces (same texture for both the wall and ceiling) and I've also had to make adjustments to try and reduce texture clipping. Overall, it's been a good learning experience though.

With all of that said, I feel I'm about 90 - 95% done with the first three levels; Bob-Bomb Battlefield, Whomps Fortress and Cool Cool Mountain. They still need some tweaking, but I'm happy enough with the results to show it off. There's still a lot of work remaining though. I've only worked on the skybox for Bob-Bomb Battlefield/Castle Grounds. I also plan to remake the hud and hopefully effects as well. So without further adieu, here's what I'm doing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1TQoeeQ_Ic&feature=youtu.be

Mollymutt

well, maybe they're just placeholders. give him a chance to explain himself before any action is taken. I don't want to discourage anybody from texturing. I like some of what he's done so far,

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
My thoughts exactly.
I don't like the idea of ripping files from the wii but I guess as long a N doesn't hit him with a CD maybe I'll consider allowing it.

OP
M

MadOdorMachine

Thanks for the responses.

Mollymutt - Thanks for the kind words. I noted in the OP that I'm currently using some of your textures. Right now they are place holders, but I wanted to talk to about it, so I'm glad you replied. I'm new here and to texturing so I don't really know the etiquette. I'm definitely using you texture pack at the very least as a template. It's very well organized and has helped me a lot. Before I just had everything all together in one folder, so it's been a big help. I'll send you a PM to discuss it more.

As far as the re-using textures from other Mario games, is there something I need to know? I've seen other fan-made Nintendo stuff (AM2R, F-Zero X hacking, SM64 hacking, Metroid Metal, LoZ VR, etc.) so to be honest, it never even crossed my mind.

NES_player4LIFE

Texture Pack Invader
As far as the re-using textures from other Mario games, is there something I need to know? I've seen other fan-made Nintendo stuff (AM2R, F-Zero X hacking, SM64 hacking, Metroid Metal, LoZ VR, etc.) so to be honest, it never even crossed my mind.
There are but the artists don't blatantly say that they are ripping the files from next-gen systems. Just be careful.

OP
M

MadOdorMachine

Sorry. Your OP was kind of a tl;dr. I see that you mentioned me in your post.
If you thought that was long, wait until you see the PM I sent you. ;)

There are but the artists don't blatantly say that they are ripping the files from next-gen systems. Just be careful.

Okay. I'll definitely watch the way I word things going forward.

On another note, perhaps someone can help me out with a problem I'm having. As you can see in the video, the replacement trees I'm using are a lot different. As a result, when Mario climbs the tree part of him is still visible and he isn't completely hidden by the leaves. Being that the textures are flat, I eliminated as much as I could by warping the image in Photoshop. It did add a little depth, but I'm curious if there's a better way or a method used by others to correct this issue and add depth to the texture.