What's new

Controler Sensitivity Issue

wheels_game

Hello, I have a bit of an odd question that that I thought someone could help me out with. I'm a gamer with cerebral palsy, which makes my movements slow. However, everything works fine, except when I try to rotate a controller. The system either barely recognizes (and I mean, recognizes slowly or) does not recognize the motion being performed, even though it is being performed correctly. Furthermore, trying to force myself to move quickly often is incredibly painful and makes the problem worse.

I was wondering if there was a way to adjust the controller sensitivity to my needs. I'm using the N-Rage Plugin and an actual N64 controller plugged into a computer by USB. I was thinking I could try and make the controller stick more sensitive, so it would recognize what movements I was able to do easier.

I also thought there might be a chance to make it so that rotating the controller is replaced by a different movement. I was thinking I could have the system recognize moving the control stick side to side, up-and-down, or being held in one direction as rotation. However, I'm unsure how to do that, or even if that is possible.

Is there way to do either of those things? I just want a way to be able to safely rotate the control stick with the physical ability I have, because it would make playing certain games (e.g. Mario Party) much easier.

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
I also suffer form celebral palsy, although it's a milder case than yours, and doesn't affect my hands all that much. Anyway, since you're using the N-Rage plugin, does changing the analog stick sensitivity range help matters? Options --> Configure Controller plugin.

What version of Project64 and N-Rage are you using?

Last edited:
OP
W

wheels_game

I'm using the latest for N-Rage (1.82a, I think they call it; it's the one that comes with project 64), and 1.5 for Project 64. I have a problem with 1.6 where my computer throws 1.6 into always on top mode, and refuses to let me turn it off.

I tried messing around with the range before, making it 100%. That didn't seem to do anything. I also tried unchecking the Real N64 range button, but I'm not sure what that did. What does range action to do, and what level would you recommend if I want to make the controller more sensitive?

Agozer

The analog stick range specifies a threshold at which point the emulator thinks that the analog stick is pushed all the way to one side. If, for example Mario refuses to run in Super Mario 64 despite the player pushing the stick all the way, then decreasing the range helps. Real N64 range enables/disables a special feature of the N64 analog stick. The original pad analog stick operates within a circle, yet operating systems like Windows calibrates analog sticks within a square. Most of the time, you really want this option to be turned on.

Now that I've read you post more thoroghly (it was very late last night, apologies), I think that what you really need is a way to control "acceleration" for the analog stick, similar to mouse acceleration. N-Rage has no option for this "as is". However, what might work is to create a movement modifier. Go to the Modifiers tab and create a New Modifier. Set the modifier type to Movement and set it to 'Toggle' and assign a key to invoke it during play. Adjust/test the X and Y movement value percentages in the modifier and see if that helps at all.

Outside of this, I'm pretty much out of options. You should perhaps look into programs that deal with fine-tuning gamepads and other input devices.

p.s. You should be able to control the emulators Always On Top behavior from the settings menu, or try pressing Ctrl-A. You shouldn't stick with something so old as Project64 1.5. You'd probably be a lot happier if you google the portable version of 2.2.0.3

Last edited:
OP
W

wheels_game

Okay, thank you. I had experimented with modifiers before, but had no idea what they did. I will try using them again. At least I know what my problem is.

You mentioned programs that help fine tune game pads and other input devices. If I wanted to look into one of these programs, do you know what some of them would be?

Also, I will look into the new version of Project 64. The problem with 1.6 is that it does not allow me to control the Always on Top functionality. It's always checked no matter what I do, and I can't uncheck it even with keys or menu options. It also will not allow me to go to full-screen, even if I have it checked. The program also refuses to let me move it at all, because it's in the Always on Top mode. I suspect there might be a compatibility issue or program clashing on my computer, but I have no idea what that could be.

Project 1.5, on the other hand, seems to allow me to control all its functions and do exactly what I wanted to do. Other than a few hiccups (e.g. graphical glitches in Pokémon Stadium, lag in some cases), it works fine.

Agozer

Are you using the default plugins (excluding N-Rage) with either 1.5 or 1.6? Do you remember if Project64 1.6 displays an error message if you try to go to fullscreen? Sounds like your graphics hardware is either old (lacks necessary features) or has faulty drivers.

As for those fine-tuning programs for input devices, I can't really help you with those name-wise. I've never had any use for those and most of the time the existing input plugin options are more than sufficent for me. That said, the modifiers in N-Rage are very flexible, almost deceptively so. Well, they weren't coded with people with disabilities in mind, though.

Last edited:
OP
W

wheels_game

I'm using default plug-ins. If I try to go to fullscreen in 1.6, it simply doesn't let me (option is grayed out, and using keyboard shortcuts doesn't do anything). And it's probably a problem with my graphics hardware. I got into PC gaming/emulation very recently, so my hardware hasn't had any modifications or upgrades (e.g. graphics cards) since I started gaming. My computer is an Asues with Windows 8.1, so whatever graphics hardware is the default for that is what I'm using. If I really wanted to, what would I need to do to upgrade my graphics hardware, and how expensive would it be? I don't think my graphics hardware is faulty, because it works fine otherwise (including with other emulators), but is there way I would check?

Agozer

For the sake of argument, have you unchecked "Hide Advanced Options" in Project64's settings? If you are running Windows 8.1, then your graphics hardware should be (at least in theory) up to snuff. Many problems often seem to arise from Intel's integrated graphics chips. Intel's graphics solutions have always been notoriously poor when it comes down to emulating the graphics features in of the Nintendo 64.

If you have a laptop, then you can't really switch the graphics chip. Then again, maybe it's Windows 8 that's acting up, since you've said virtually nothing about what kind of actual hardware you're using.

In emulation, raw CPU power matters more than the kind of graphics card you have. The capabilities of your graphics hardware come more into play when emulating systems that use 3D graphics, namely Nintendo 64 and the Dreamcast, for starters. Some integrated graphics solutions are not good enough for these. I mean sure, you don't need a top of the line graphics card to emulate the hardware in these systems, basically any card manufactured within the last decade will do just fine.

Last edited:
OP
W

wheels_game

Okay, that makes sense. Also, I don't know anything about types of hardware, so I couldn't tell you what type of hardware I'm actually using. As long as it's running, I'm okay with it. I have unchecked Hide Advanced Options, but I wasn't sure what any of them did.

And thanks again for all your help!

Agozer

You should be able to check the type of graphics hardware you have by simply going to Start --> Run (unless MS changed that in W8), typing in dxdiag and pressing Enter. There should be a Display tab within the program that opens, and it'll tell you a few details about your graphics card/chip.