What's new

Marvel vs capcom 2 sprites blocky?

HomieTheClown

Hey guys,

I am trying to fix the blocky characters in Marvel vs Capcom 2. If you look at my screen shot, you can see the backgrounds and everything is nice and smooth but the characters are blocky/pixelated. I wouldn't have cared, but I looked online at some youtube videos and noticed other poeple running this game on Demul didn't have blocky looking characters in their videos. I was wondering if anyone here was running the arcade verison of MVSC 2. I'm running the USA bios version.

Here's the picture.

Attachments

• Untitled (1).jpg
    Untitled (1).jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 4,731

Darkness Knight

The emulator don't support filters xBRZ, for 2D sprites is very good... but, try using "Shaders effects" as Scanlines or Blur, saludos!

emusa

1. don't render 2D fighters @ a higher resolution (2x, 3x, etc.). Choose native or at least something close to it; such as 640x480 (1x).

2.don't stretch the image to widescreen, use 4:3 instead = the way it's meant to be played.

2D games get way more pixelated when using a higher rendering resolution. You could use FXAA as a shader effect to make it a bit smoother. Though.. using the DX11ng plugin removes the option to use shader effects.

I dont know if you had the chance to play this game on a real arcade cab, if you don't
(I'm sorry for you) let me tell you that the characters look way to pixelated, thats something many reviewers complaint about back in time.
But thats how the game is meant to be.

Last edited:

Agozer

16-bit Corpse | Moderator
Yeah, the sprites are pixelated on the actual hardware as well. On the real arcade cabinet or on the console, you don't see it as clearly (unless you really look for it) because the monitors back then softened the image output somewhat.

OP
H

HomieTheClown

I dont know if you had the chance to play this game on a real arcade cab, if you don't
(I'm sorry for you) let me tell you that the characters look way to pixelated, thats something many reviewers complaint about back in time.
But thats how the game is meant to be.

I didn't :(

This was my brother's go-to game. I was more into MVSC one. Thanks for all the feedback fellas! Love this emulator! I do wish I could get star wars racer controls to work and two light guns to work too!

typeAlpha

Like others have said MVC2 has always been a pixellated mess, the best way to play it is on a TV or a CRT monitor but even then it's still very evident. For LCD monitors you're better off using something like SweetFX, always looks better I think:

mvc2.jpg

emusa

[MENTION=113024]typeAlpha[/MENTION]: Looks good! I didn't think sweetFX worked with Demul? It always crashed when I tried it before. Which version of sweetFX and demul do you use?

typeAlpha

[MENTION=113024]typeAlpha[/MENTION]: Looks good! I didn't think sweetFX worked with Demul? It always crashed when I tried it before. Which version of sweetFX and demul do you use?

http://www.mediafire.com/download/5bd77sf7nthqj1f/Boulotaur2024.Injector_CeeJay.dk's.1.5.1.Shader+ChromaticAberrationShader.rar

This one works perfectly with the latest Demul [22 Dec 2015], I don't really use it myself as I output to a CRT - but it certainly makes MVC2 easier on the eyes.